Jumbo Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Again, while I'm not particularly enthusiastic about getting him, he still scored at a 36 point pace and had a low pdo at like 94.

Hes old but but when load managed he could still be useful

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy Boucher

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
In a vacuum he’s not a bad veteran add especially for centre depth .. I just don’t know if the Leafs can be effect with him, Spezza, and Simmonds all
in the line up ... takes a hit on team speed.

I get the sense he is a plan C and Dubas lost out on a couple of other preferred names

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
I understand we are under cap pressure. I understand Joe brings veteran leadership and whatnot. All things being equal, I'd prefer a younger player with speed and a bit of bite to him, on a similar contract.

Can't speak to what shape Thornton keeps himself in. He's a big man and he could be effective, only others would know his condition. It would just seem to be an odd choice in this current UFA season.

Because we are looking for a Charles Oakley for our Vince Carters...

Reactions: AreBe

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Because we are looking for a Charles Oakley for our Vince Carters...

Indeed. Players shouldn't need motivation and to be held accountable by others, they should have it in them.

Hockey is different though, and I can see how Joe would not only help the younger players, but even keep the older players maintaining that fire in their belly. That pursuit of the Cup in Toronto of all places, is an environment that should motivate players.

It wouldn't be my first choice to sign him, but I haven't seen him play lately or know his salary expectations.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This is growing on me. Thornton is still an exceptional playmaker, and if you read the Sharks board, they seem to want him back as their 3C.

Last edited:

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
If one of our top two centers are out for the year the Leafs will be screwd! Who do they actually have to fill in? Kerfoot would have to move up, or maybe Nylander can shift over to center. Spezza can play 3rd line center if needed if they move Kerfoot up. It goes to show they definitely need another center. Joe might be the answer on the cheap to automatically fill in as the 4th line center. Another thing to keep in mind is that Joe played his junior career as a Soo Greyhound. The same junior team that Dubas and Keefe came from, so loyalty might come in to play as well to give Joe an opportunity to win a cup.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
There are so many unsigned players out there and prospects within the system that I don't know why the Leafs would be interested in someone so far past his best before date.

He is 41 years old.

He will be 42 before the next season is done, whenever that will be.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
In a vacuum he’s not a bad veteran add especially for centre depth .. I just don’t know if the Leafs can be effect with him, Spezza, and Simmonds all
in the line up ... takes a hit on team speed.

I get the sense he is a plan C and Dubas lost out on a couple of other preferred names
I'm bout that but imagine him getting speedy gonzalez wingers on the side with (barabanov or robertson or like Mikheyev if baranabanov or robertson sometimes play with the tavares marner line.) Like that would be some real goofy goof fast type of dirt right there sire. Joey just puts the puck to the wing for barabanov and he scoooores. Or like mikheyev cause he fast too. Or Robertson wich ever you like. I ain'ts worried bout our speed at all. We don't have elite speed centers, but we ain't have to. Our wingers are all the leagues fastest types. Our centers just put the puck to the wings or dump and we'll get the goal :clap: Ice hockey is real simple when looking in the end. Sports wise. Lets see what happens sire.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
There are so many unsigned players out there and prospects within the system that I don't know why the Leafs would be interested in someone so far past his best before date.

He is 41 years old.

He will be 42 before the next season is done, whenever that will be.

It's not all about age. The guy produced at a 40 point clip last season in a limited role on bad team, and he would probably be the second best playmaker on our team after Marner.

Reactions: brhymes19

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Vesey _______ Simmonds
Engvall Thornton Spezza
Barabanov

Thornton and Spezza will be load managed and play 3/4 games.

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
Have to admit I’m stunned we’re even interested. He isn’t even 50 percent on draws, he can’t score even strength, is a ghost of his former self on the PP (and we don’t need him there), doesn’t do much defensively, is slow. What am I missing beside his pedigree and name, he’s a rapidly depreciating asset?

I have a feeling it’s to bring in a character guy to try to teach these guys to play tough, train hard and have someone in the room to call the team out when they need to press to gas to stay on the gas and not let go.

RaptorLeaf13

Feb 23, 2020
If we got Perry along with Thornton, the leafs can have a line of Simmonds, Thornton and Perry. Those 3 can grind and cycle in the offensive zone. Leafs would be really dangerous and difficult to play against. I am sure the opposition would get worn out especially in the playoffs. Plus all 3 would get motivated to win the cup in Toronto. Wish there were more Perry to leaf rumors though.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'm down for a shift in philosophy. We've tried adding young Marlies to fill in the bottom 6. Now it looks like were filling it with some hardnosed vets. I'm with it. Theyre all on one year deals anyways

Reactions: dethszn

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I like the addition of Thornton for a similar mentor ship as what Marleau provided

He also is another cautionary tale about chasing a cup

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I like the addition of Thornton for a similar mentor ship as what Marleau provided

He also is another cautionary tale about chasing a cup
Marleau was here for the wrong reasons...continuing his steak.

I hope this isn't the case with Thornton, other than chasing a cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad