Jumbo Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
Our bottom 6 production withered and died last season. I'm not concerned that joe won't contribute a bit offensively. I'm more nervous that it increases our chance of getting danced defensively.

Reactions: glue and fahad203

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The Dubas way: You pay today for what they will be in the future getting a player on the upswing, and you get a contract, with runaway inflation in the cap, that is a deal and easily tradable in the future. A player with increasing return on investment! Because they are young and improving, no law of diminishing returns- the inputs are in their development as a player! From inside! The magic of a young core maturing!

The Leafs Nation way: Presidents Choice memories of When They Were Good- Photoshop a Leafs jersey on the player from 15 years ago, and pay for what they did a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. We get the broken down torn ACL pylon version, and then we turn on him and then drum him out of town. Terrible return on investment. Albatross contract - Law of Diminishing Returns!
I once heard Joe Carter say that as an athlete, you get paid next year for what you did last year.

It seems like a lousy model to me. I tired long ago of seeing the Leafs pay players long past their prime for what they accomplished years ago with other teams.

I much prefer the Leafs getting ahead of the game by paying their up and comers instead. Prognostication is never perfect and there will inevitably be some bloopers, but I would rather they be on the way up than the way down.

Reactions: AreBe

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Have to admit I’m stunned we’re even interested. He isn’t even 50 percent on draws, he can’t score even strength, is a ghost of his former self on the PP (and we don’t need him there), doesn’t do much defensively, is slow. What am I missing beside his pedigree and name, he’s a rapidly depreciating asset?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Have to admit I’m stunned we’re even interested. He isn’t even 50 percent on draws, he can’t score even strength, is a ghost of his former self on the PP (and we don’t need him there), doesn’t do much defensively, is slow. What am I missing beside his pedigree and name, he’s a rapidly depreciating asset?
Yeah im not sure why they're so interested.

Intangibles I guess.

Reactions: AreBe

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

I had a thought that the rumour is being floated to try to convince another FA to hurry up and sign before all the chairs are gone and the music has stopped. Perry maybe?

ALine

May 14, 2012
This is a classic case of a using a big name and Toronto in the same sentence. I just don't see the fit. Spezza at 4c and would be a huge downgrade over Kerfoot. I think we have enough bottom 6 options now to find the right mix from.
Wouldn't say no to Perry though

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
This is a classic case of a using a big name and Toronto in the same sentence. I just don't see the fit. Spezza at 4c and would be a huge downgrade over Kerfoot. I think we have enough bottom 6 options now to find the right mix from.
wtf are you going on about???????????????

wake up,,,they are not putting a 3.5m kerfoot on the 4th line

spezz/jumbo joe in a compressed season split 4th line C

Reactions: forecheck and qqaz

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Big name to Toronto= Big overpayment 1 to deal with Leafs Beat, Leafs Street, Leafs Meet, Leafs Tweet, Leafs Greet, Leafs Retreat, Leafs Sweet on 2 sports radio stations and TV sports networks or 2, victory lap pylon President's Choice Memories of When They Were Good.

ALine

May 14, 2012
What are you going on about?
No they wouldn't. Nor would Joe sign here to split time on the 4th line. Spezza will play 4c. If Joe signs here Kerfoot would have to be moved and that would be a downgrade.
If Joe will take league minimum, and we need a few more bucks to sign Dermott and Mikheyev they i could see it.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Our bottom 6 production withered and died last season. I'm not concerned that joe won't contribute a bit offensively. I'm more nervous that it increases our chance of getting danced defensively.

I think we have some choices who can put us some offense under the right situation.

Robertson-Kerfoot-Vessey
Barnanov-Spezza-Simmonds
engvall-thornton-anderson

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I understand we are under cap pressure. I understand Joe brings veteran leadership and whatnot. All things being equal, I'd prefer a younger player with speed and a bit of bite to him, on a similar contract.

Can't speak to what shape Thornton keeps himself in. He's a big man and he could be effective, only others would know his condition. It would just seem to be an odd choice in this current UFA season.

Reactions: Ciao

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...jpg/1200px-Eric_Lindros_At_Smashfest_2016.jpg

Eric Lindros still looks pretty good at age 47. Maybe we could get him or Doug Gilmour for 3C if the Joe Thornton thing doesn't work out.

How about Wendel Clark on the wing? He's still around town too.

I would kind of rather younger, better players, but these guys are closer in age to Jumbo Joe than Joe is to players like Marner and Matthews.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Noodles talking about it's all intangibles with Joe. That the guy has no filter, and that guys like Mitch and Austin and Willy will be held accountable and are not the big dogs on the bus anymore. Mindset dropped off once Patty left.

Reactions: Faltorvo

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
zero-days-without.jpg
Team toughness, experience, leadership, make it happen.
[sarcasm] Trade some kids and draft picks for some toughness.
Trade Ivan Svensky for Patrick O'Thuggo and some marginal NHLer 4 th line Good Canadian Kid grinders from Ontario: Bob Bobson and Doug Dougson.
All in all the time.
Make at least the semifinals, or fire Dubas because plainly his math based world is no good. Applies to Newton and Einstein but this is hockey- you need to be Canadian and feel it in your gut to make good decisions, not a stats sheet. [/sarcasm]
XfFvWwbtiG9BxDXN9

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
If Jumbo would shave that beard it might drop 10 pounds off his playing weight. Then he'd be slightly faster than Spezza.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Noodles talking about it's all intangibles with Joe. That the guy has no filter, and that guys like Mitch and Austin and Willy will be held accountable and are not the big dogs on the bus anymore. Mindset dropped off once Patty left.

This is a valid argument. His speed and defense is the risk though.

I do like Dubas finding no nonsense vets. They need a vocal support structure in that locker room. I didn't watch San Jose enough to know where he is at. He can't be a liability.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Wow the possibility of Joe Thornton and Jason Spezza being on the same team. Too bad it's not 2010. :laugh:
Yeah, too bad it's not the 2005-06 season. Thornton won the Art Ross Trophy with 29 goals and 96 assists, and a 22 y.o. Spezza was 14th in scoring with 90 points in only 68 games.

By 2010 Joe was already past his prime and on a downward trend.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

I think part of the motivation (from the Leafs side) has to be to get guys who will set the tone that the Leafs need to play with in the playoffs.

Toronto has enough skill to get themselves by the in the regular season. In the playoffs, you need to play with desperation, and I cannot think of a better example of a guy playing with desperation than a 41 year old Joe Thornton trying to win a cup.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Last year Jumbo was a 4th line player. The two year prior, he was a 1st/2nd line impact player.

Was last year's drop off purely due to age? Or was it because San Jose was trash? Could Joe be decent 3c on a stronger team?

We deeply need help at centre. Best case scenario, Joe is 3c and Kerfoot goes to the wing and gives us more offensive strength. If not, maybe Joe can be a capable 4C and help PP2.

Frankly I would prefer Brassard or Soderberg, but I'm guessing they want more money.

On a cheap deal, its a low risk chance for the Leafs to take. If it doesn't work, I'm sure they can mutually cancel the contract and let Joe go wherever he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad