Jumbo Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
don't want jumbo joe - he's just too old and I will never forgive his weird run-ins with Naz and going after him for no apparent reason

will never forget seeing part of his beard at centre ice though lol
:DD My memory isn't what it was but didn't Naz almost kill a SJ player with a clean check? I agree it's BS to go after guys for clean hits but I think that's what got Jumbo's panties in a knot in that case

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
:DD My memory isn't what it was but didn't Naz almost kill a SJ player with a clean check? I agree it's BS to go after guys for clean hits but I think that's what got Jumbo's panties in a knot in that case

Without looking it up I thought the gang up on Naz happened in SJ after the beard pull. That is why they were targeting Naz.

I do remember we got a nice 2 points in that road game though.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Chris Johnston was on the Steve Dangle podcast yesterday, and he did mention there was mutual interest between Joe and the Leafs, signing here for 1 year. Not saying it will happen, but there are discussions.

Nonetheless, it was a good 2 hr discussion, and I like Johnston on this type of platform.

He's excellent, and every appearance on SDP is can't miss stuff (I think this was his third ?).

They talked a bit about some of his predictions, and how he was right on almost all of them (Kadri, Babcock, etc).

I think CJ saying what he said about Thornton suggests he does know info - where there's mutual interest, I wonder if a similar deal to Simmonds (1 year, cheap), is an option?

I know Thornton isn't the same elite player he was once upon a time, but he'd instantly command respect in that room, be a veteran that the younger guys look upto, and would instantly improve the culture and confidence in that room

Reactions: TML1967

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
As long as we can bury the contract, who cares. Give him a tryout, but he needs to earn a spot like everyone else.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Just seems like an insult to Spezza, who already does the same job. I mean, Spezza came at a discount and plays hard. Why bring in competition for his job?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Just seems like an insult to Spezza, who already does the same job. I mean, Spezza came at a discount and plays hard. Why bring in competition for his job?

Spezza would move into a W role I would think if Jumbo Joe came to town...I don't think anyone is taking his job though...Spezza shows his stripes in the playoffs and short of a fall off a cliff in terms of skill I don't see anyone taking his spot full-time

Reactions: TorMapleJays

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
With the number of rostered forwards we already have and those already in the system even at 700k I am not sure what we are getting from him. Do we have an obvious gap in the team that he can fill? Do he and Spez split 4th line C duties? Doubtful as they are different players and will play in different situations. I'd much rather a younger player get those minutes. We've been down the aging vet road one time too many with zero results for me to be onboard with it. 1 guy makes sense and we already have him.

The only option would be if the team felt Spezza could play the 3rd line C role with Nylander spotting in here and there when he is in the doghouse and roll with Jumbo at 4C for the season. That means there is a taker on Kerfoot at full salary. Even in that scenario I am not sure how much (if any) better we are.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Babs tried to f*** over Spezza ... what a d*ck like he did Modano ... but he did everything he could for his hometown Sask boy Paddy ... da man has an ego bigger than GOD ... we aren't gonna do that stupid BS anymore ... it is real reason why Babs lost room as TO boys stood tall and that was it ... Shanny stood with JT and that was it for Babs

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I guess my question is, whats the role?
Is he a 4C? Is he a possible 3C so they can move Kerfoot? Is he a winger now? Is he a 13th F? Do they platoon Spezza and Thorton, as the upcoming season may be condensed to get in more games?

Im fine with the signing, if its understood he is no longer a top 9 guy on a cup contender.
Him and Spezza on a 4th line at the same time make us pretty slow.

At 700k, I cant see how you go wrong, as long as you dont move out a Kerfoot type and hope he can replace him fully.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Perfect fit for the #3 spot then dump Kerfoot.

Jumbo can hardly skate anymore, The same reason why Spezza doesn't play C on the 4th line, they are way to slow to play C. Going from Kerfoot to Jumbo as 3c is a HUGE downgrade. The 3c role is too important to downgrade on it, which is why I don't see the logic in trading Kerfoot unless we are getting someone as the same caliber as him, or better.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Perfect fit for the #3 spot then dump Kerfoot.

Really don't think so.

Hes not a good enough skater anymore and not good defensively

Really, other than the PP hes prob a liability on the ice most nights.

If given a really sheltered role it may work. But certainly dont think 3C is appropriate unless flanked by 2 very good skating defensive players

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Really don't think so.

Hes not a good enough skater anymore and not good defensively

Really, other than the PP hes prob a liability on the ice most nights.

If given a really sheltered role it may work. But certainly dont think 3C is appropriate unless flanked by 2 very good skating defensive players
He had a (very) bad season but Joe was still almost a 2 WAR player the previous 2 years. A sharp decline is something to be wary of at his age but I wouldn't be bold enough to call a guy with his talent a sure-fire liability at this stage. Dubas and our scouts clearly still like something about his game and think they can put him in a position to succeed.

Decline, like development, isn't always a straight line. I'm open to giving him a fair shake if we sign him.

Reactions: Erndog

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Of course I'm Luke warm on it. I can't see many negatives to this if it's league minimum. Plus if he retires a leaf it trumps The Kessel trade not the Rask trade. Mind you Rask seems to be doing that for us as we seen back in the day he's a wild one. Part of his charm though, Chara would be hilarious.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I get the big name appeal...but I think he really makes our bottom 6 slow. Also, I think another signing will prove to be the end of the line for Mikheyev. We're already fairly set. If we were to sign Jumbo, I don't see the move. Trade the far younger Kerfoot who can skate circles around Jumbo and is a new piece to the PK? I'm not sure I see the fit or where he'd be an upgrade

Reactions: qqaz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad