Jumbo Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think i would of been for it before we signed Spezza and Simmonds. Now I don't see a good fit for him in the bottom 6

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
don't want jumbo joe - he's just too old and I will never forgive his weird run-ins with Naz and going after him for no apparent reason

will never forget seeing part of his beard at centre ice though lol
Try and read hockey lips. That was the passing of a gauntlet. Naz highlandered Thornton and stole his hockey powers from the ice gods.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I don't understand the infatuation with Thornton. He's a big body but he's not overly physical or an asshole like Corey Perry would be. Also I've had enough with aging Sharks forwards on this team.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Joe Thornton will never play in the NHL again.. he's finished with playing professional hockey. Unless he want's to play in the Swiss league.. definitely not the type of player the Leafs need on their 4th line either.. give up the pipe dream.. or just the pipe even..

Reactions: The Shadow

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
What would be the target role for him? I would have been much more interested in a guy like Wallmark, who signed for very cheap.

Thornton is a big name, but I just don't think he can skate well enough to not be a giant liability defensively now.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think it will be sad if we get Joe and have to watch how far he’s deteriorated. Hard pass.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Like Simmonds, Thornton is still useful.

Just don’t play both on the same line or higher than the third line, and it should go well.

Also, Thornton mentioned recently about playing in the NLA a bit. That would be good if he can come into training camp in full game shape.

Important for a player like that.

Reactions: supermann_98

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Like Simmonds, Thornton is still useful.

Just don’t play both on the same line or higher than the third line, and it should go well.

Also, Thornton mentioned recently about playing in the NLA a bit. That would be good if he can come into training camp in full game shape.

Important for a player like that.
He scored 4 goals even strength last year and was even below 50 percent on the draw. He’s a total defensively liability. I just don’t get it, and he’s only going to get worse. Okay depth, but we’ve added that...he isn’t a good third liner by any metric and why have a guy like that on a fourth?

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Joe Thornton will never play in the NHL again.. he's finished with playing professional hockey. Unless he want's to play in the Swiss league.. definitely not the type of player the Leafs need on their 4th line either.. give up the pipe dream.. or just the pipe even..

quoting just in case it happens

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
No thanks. Yes all day long to Corey Perry at or around league minimum

Corey Perry seems to win or do well everywhere he goes

a long resume of success

Olympic Gold x 2
Stanley Cup
Stanley Cup final
World Jr Gold
World Cup
World Championship
Memorial Cup

and I’m sure there are others that I didn’t look up
I would love to have him on the Leafs for a year

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmo89

OpenNetSniper

Mar 27, 2013
Chris Johnston was on the Steve Dangle podcast yesterday, and he did mention there was mutual interest between Joe and the Leafs, signing here for 1 year. Not saying it will happen, but there are discussions.

Nonetheless, it was a good 2 hr discussion, and I like Johnston on this type of platform.

Reactions: wingman75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad