Jumbo Jet Dogs

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Ahhh I remember the days when I used to have a dinner consisting of 4 jalapeno cheddar smokies on portuguese buns with mayo, chili and cheddar cheese on top.

2500 calories and about 100 grams of fat. To be young again...

psssh, that's my cutting diet

Sir Erdinger

Jul 24, 2012
Manitoba
Got my first dog last game against the Canes. Bun was crispy, chilli was good. Wish I saw that you could get pulled pork on it before I paid. Gunna try that next time. 300 level, 2nd Jet dog stand to the left of the main enterance passed the test.

Sir Erdinger

Jul 24, 2012
Manitoba
Off topicish but not starting a new thread over it. Anyone try out the observation deck buffet yet? It was packed the other night. My seats are right there and I'd like to try it with my wife in November. Food good? Is it worth the $30+ each? Let my know your thoughts.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Got my first dog last game against the Canes. Bun was crispy, chilli was good. Wish I saw that you could get pulled pork on it before I paid. Gunna try that next time. 300 level, 2nd Jet dog stand to the left of the main enterance passed the test.

I really like your avatar!

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Guys beside me were eating burgers (actually the one guy had a burger "platter" and then came back again with a chicken finger "platter" :amazed:) and they looked and smelled pretty good though I've never had one.

Ryan Giggs

There's no such thing as Scotchtoberfest
Sep 14, 2011
Bell MTS Place
Unlike the actual Jets, the Jet dog I had on Friday vs Tampa was in playoff form. Toasty bun and the wiener was right on point.

Upper deck, North west corner, closest to the stairs... 4 out 5 stars

seasontixholder*

Unlike the actual Jets, the Jet dog I had on Friday vs Tampa was in playoff form. Toasty bun and the wiener was right on point.

Upper deck, North west corner, closest to the stairs... 4 out 5 stars

Did they give you the weiner from the grill or one from the heating oven?

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Had my first "JetsDog" of the year..the other game...wasn't sure what to expect since this thread has gone nuclear.
First as a point of Transparency:..A good buddy of mine is a Manager at Winkler Meats...So if my beloved JetsDog was in fact a turd...I wasn't sure how our friendship could continue...
That being said...it was delicious. Had it from the same Kiosk I always do..by the Bud Beer stand on 300 by 306..
The dog itself is still great...the perogies I found to be more dough that anything...
but still the perfect combination is...JetsDog with Perogies onions...and condiments of mustard and Bannana Peppers...

USApegger

Jun 30, 2011
Winnipeg
Off topicish but not starting a new thread over it. Anyone try out the observation deck buffet yet? It was packed the other night. My seats are right there and I'd like to try it with my wife in November. Food good? Is it worth the $30+ each? Let my know your thoughts.

We have eaten there a few times as its right by our seats. We love it, the buffet is always great, if you reserve you get seats up on the railing and can watch the people (we like to play the fake jersey game).

They give you to go containers for the desserts, and also you get a box of popcorn and if you want cotton candy to take back to your seats.

After the first time, I just wanted to sleep!

I look at it this way, a burger or jumbo dog will run you at least $12, then you buy a drink, maybe some popcorn or another dog or burger and before you know it you are over $30.

For $30 at the buffet, you get a great selection of salads, rolls and hot food plus a drink (if they are still doing that this year, one drink included)

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
We have eaten there a few times as its right by our seats. We love it, the buffet is always great, if you reserve you get seats up on the railing and can watch the people (we like to play the fake jersey game).

They give you to go containers for the desserts, and also you get a box of popcorn and if you want cotton candy to take back to your seats.

After the first time, I just wanted to sleep!

I look at it this way, a burger or jumbo dog will run you at least $12, then you buy a drink, maybe some popcorn or another dog or burger and before you know it you are over $30.

For $30 at the buffet, you get a great selection of salads, rolls and hot food plus a drink (if they are still doing that this year, one drink included)

You can get three Jumbo Jet Dogs and a drink for the same price.

Long live the Jumbo Jet Dog.

By some peoples reviews here, I'm starting to think that maybe True North heard our cries and improved the product? I'm starting to get excited. I may stop my boycott and try one next game.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
So at the Penguins game last thursday night, I think I finally came to some closure.

Here I was in the Jet Dog line near section 204

IMAG3863_zpsca0219ed.jpg

Eyeing up the dogs sitting on the corner of the grill, carefully noting which ones had some bubbling grease in and around them (surprisingly, most of them)

IMAG3864_zps432247b5.jpg

Now...this was my first thought that I was in trouble. The girl, upon hearing that I wanted fried onions, sent her companion into the oven to grab a container. I wasn't impressed, but was still trying to remain optimistic.

IMAG3866_zps5a6c2445.jpg

There we had it. A jet dog with a non-fried bun (for purpose of research and comparing apples to apples). Hot peppers, grilled onions and mustard.

IMAG3868_zps23784321.jpg

Oh snape, Winkler Meats, what have you done?

IMAG3869_zpsfaae23f3.jpg

This thing wasn't anywhere NEAR the level of fail the first dog I tried. Either our complaining finally reached the ears of Mark Chipman and he forced WInkler meats to shape up or ship out, or the crew near section 204 finally got their crap together and learned how to put a proper dog together.

If the first dog was a 4/10 this one was easily a 7.5. The bun was soft and squishy (Once I got a bite or two in, admittedly) and the weiner was hot and juicy...a big departure from last time.

I think things are going to be ok in Jet Dog land. It's not surprising that the Dogs seem to follow the success of the Jets this season. There's a lot of Joy in Joy Land these days, and that includes the Jumbo Jet Dog.

Derfel*

If the first dog was a 4/10 this one was easily a 7.5. The bun was soft and squishy (Once I got a bite or two in, admittedly) and the weiner was hot and juicy...a big departure from last time.

I think things are going to be ok in Jet Dog land. It's not surprising that the Dogs seem to follow the success of the Jets this season. There's a lot of Joy in Joy Land these days, and that includes the Jumbo Jet Dog.

Too small a sample size - you're going to have to eat at least 12 before we can be assured that the Jumbo Jet Dog has really improved... :sarcasm:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I have to be honest. I really enjoyed the play by play analysis including visual illustration on how you scored that Jet Dog. You break it down nicely. The only bad thing - now I'm hungry.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Don't want to start a new thread for this, but I tried the smoked meat sandwich today, and I'd say that it might have been the worst thing I've ever eaten in an arena.

Sir Erdinger

Jul 24, 2012
Manitoba
Don't want to start a new thread for this, but I tried the smoked meat sandwich today, and I'd say that it might have been the worst thing I've ever eaten in an arena.

Thank you for saving me the experience....

I am however itching to try the Jets Dog with pulled pork.

seasontixholder*

After such an incredible game, I hate to be a downer but my Jets Dog was awful last night. Worst one yet. It might be my last one. Lucky I had my heartburn pills or I would really have paid for it.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
After such an incredible game, I hate to be a downer but my Jets Dog was awful last night. Worst one yet. It might be my last one. Lucky I had my heartburn pills or I would really have paid for it.

can you give us some details on how bad it was?

Charon2000

Jun 22, 2011
Winnipeg
I had a Jets Dog a couple games ago. It was very underwhelming. The bun was somewhat soft but lacking the flavor and texture it had when it was fried. The Winkler weiner, while not horrible, was noticebly inferior to Nathans. As seasontixholder said in his post, the loaded toppings helped but it couldn't salvage it. I'm never buying another one, unless True North reverts back to the proven winner they used to offer.

seasontixholder*

I had a Jets Dog a couple games ago. It was very underwhelming. The bun was somewhat soft but lacking the flavor and texture it had when it was fried. The Winkler weiner, while not horrible, was noticebly inferior to Nathans. As seasontixholder said in his post, the loaded toppings helped but it couldn't salvage it. .I'm never buying another one, unless True North reverts back to the proven winner they used to offer

I'm with you on that. I gave Winkler's the benefit of the doubt for a few games but no more. I'll eat before I go to the game from now on.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I had a Jets Dog a couple games ago. It was very underwhelming. The bun was somewhat soft but lacking the flavor and texture it had when it was fried. The Winkler weiner, while not horrible, was noticebly inferior to Nathans. As seasontixholder said in his post, the loaded toppings helped but it couldn't salvage it. I'm never buying another one, unless True North reverts back to the proven winner they used to offer.

Well no one can say you are not committed to Jet Dog Quality :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad