July 28th, 2021. Excited or Scared?

Excited or Scared?

• Total voters

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Another feather in Shanahan+Dubas cap. :facepalm: FML

E5TDX-kUcAEmm2q
And posters still defend Shanny,Dubas,Keefe and the entire lot of overpaid and underperforming dead beats

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Hard to be excited when we have virtually no capspace, and the limited capspace we do have needs to go towards either re-signing Hyman (or finding an adequate replacement) and signing a 1B goalie.

We're not going to have any extra money this offseason to improve the botom 6. Bottom 6 is going to still be bargain bin shopping.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Can you please name some of these blue chip prospects

I meant that Islanders have those bluechip prospects as much as us. Not that much. Sorry, should read my replies better. English isn't my first language.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I meant that Islanders have those bluechip prospects as much as us. Not that much. Sorry, should read my replies better. English isn't my first language.
Oh, I’m sorry. I misread

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I'm not very excited, we aren't going to get much better and our core guys are probably as good as there gonna get, or at least pretty close to it.

Im still interested to see what Dubas does, though. Besides acquiring Brodie, he did very poorly in the the last calendar year. From drafting another offensive forward over Guhle or Schneider to trading 3 picks for players who contributed nothing in hindsight. Nothing against Rodion, if he becomes the next Kaprizov I'd be ecstatic, I just thought we need some different types of D. You cant win with 6 Sandins and Liljegrens.

I hope our 2022 1st is not up for grabs.

Last edited:
Reactions: horner

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I'm still reeling from our abhorrent finish to the season. I've been butt hurt many times before by the Leafs but for some
reason this year feels different. Maybe because the expectations were so high this year compared to most every other year.....and I bought right in to it hook line and sinker.

I was on board fully with the Shannyplan Dubas express when it started its journey. There were some signs of trouble starting with the 3 amigos contracts. Babs was turning me off hockey with the 1400 stretch passes and 1000 icings every game play style. I was on board with keefe taking over.

I wavered slightly in my blind allegiance after the Columbus debacle. I was having some issues accepting being a soft tinker bell kind of team but still stood behind the boys and cheered them on to start the next season.

Then after this latest 18 wheeler of a playoff finish, it felt like something snapped inside. This one hurt more than any other in recent history. Expectations were at an all time high from inside and outside the leafs organization. Its not that they lost for me, its the way they lost. The seemingly lack of fight/desire/intensity just sucked all the built up over decades loyalty out of my body. Ive taken this year personally for some reason. F**k me? No, f**k you kinda of thing. I feel like a jilted lover at this point. Afraid to trust again.

The more I continue to disect this team from top to bottom I do find myself starting to revolt against many of the decisions/philosophy/roster aspects of the way this team operates.

Excited? Not at the moment...Im still in the anger stage of grief.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Its either going to be Hyman re-signs at like 5m or they spend 3.5-4m on a LW of lesser ability. The team is going to be 90-95% the same, so I feel bored and nothing. The whole year will be meaningless until they get to the playoffs and I expect nothing.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
How can you get excited about the free agent Frenzy when the team got no cap space and lack of any big names.
Even if the core four are Pietra, McDavid, AM and Kuch. There are really nothing to be excited about.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Waiting for Shanahan and Dubas to be fired is like watching paint dry. It’s hard to get excited when the architects of this mess continue down the same path expecting a different outcome. Are they even watching the playoffs?
That is soooo true. Like, why haven't they've been fired? Why the silence from mlse? Bet that'll change when it's ticket increase time

Reactions: rumman

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
I’m actually rooting for the leafs to miss the playoffs so I can hear Shanny and dubie give exit interviews on how they are doing a great job and making great strides!

it would be like this:

“this draft is stacked and it is a brilliant plan to miss the playoffs when there are so many great players waiting to get drafted by the Leafs, next year however….”

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
Not really sure why we would be scared. Who has Dubas signed that has crippled the cap from UFAs?

Marner/Nylander could easily be traded if we want. Nylander's cap hit is fine anyways. Matthews and JT aren't going anywhere.

The only horrible signing was Marner, and he wasn't a UFA, and is still a 90+point player. Even at his price tag and playoff struggles 90+ point players have value around the league.

I don't really expect anything team changing from this UFA signing period. Depth players etc.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Definitely not as excited as I was for last season. Without major change, it’ll be the exact same shit.
Exactly. How is watching Matthews score 50 while Marner gets his 90 unimportant points thru padding stats while performing beautiful fly-bys and listening to Hall and Oates goal songs any different than the crap we watched the last 2-3 years?

I'm not excited at all. Our GM is more interested in being friends with these guys and not getting on their bad side than he is interested in doing what must be done for the good of the team, and Shanny is there to stroke his hair and wipe his tears rather than intervene and make the hard decisions.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don’t support this management team and I don’t support the chokers on the roster. I don’t care. I’ll watch again when we have competent management and players with guts.

I don’t promote 5 time chokers. Firings are the answer. Shinnyhan and K.Dubas ( kraft dinner)are failures. Fire them. I really hope i can say this without sounding to distanced from my team but I’m not wasting a minute watching another soft choker team this coming year under these two running it.

Has absolutely nothing to do with anyones opinion of the team on the board. I respect everyones views. Man i have a hate on that isn’t going away ha

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This thread is an interesting case study essentially proving what CJ and Mirtle have said to be true, that the entire fanbase is checking out at this point.

I am not sure how anyone can be "excited" for an off-season, where the most wished for move among a fanbase is trading Mitch Marner, and the worst-case is doing nothing of significance.

Quite frankly, while everyone can have their opinion on the type of players to target, who to keep, who to trade, etc at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is results.

Dubas, & Shanahan need to put a good foot forward here, and building a team that can get out of round 1 this year. That is the only way people are going to buy in again. If they can't do that, chances are they'll be fired. An honestly, round 1 is just to get over the hump. real expectations should be a trip to round 3 or further.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This thread is an interesting case study essentially proving what CJ and Mirtle have said to be true, that the entire fanbase is checking out at this point.

I am not sure how anyone can be "excited" for an off-season, where the most wished for move among a fanbase is trading Mitch Marner, and the worst-case is doing nothing of significance.

Quite frankly, while everyone can have their opinion on the type of players to target, who to keep, who to trade, etc at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is results.

Dubas, & Shanahan need to put a good foot forward here, and building a team that can get out of round 1 this year. That is the only way people are going to buy in again. If they can't do that, chances are they'll be fired. An honestly, round 1 is just to get over the hump. real expectations should be a trip to round 3 or further.

The day CN tower was lit in montreal colours was the day I officially got absolutely pissed off, disgusted and am probably not going to waste my evenings or arrange my evenings around the Leafs schedule.

Kyle Dubas, Keefe, Shanahan and the players ALL GOT RICH

Majority of the Leafs fans who have to work their ass off to even afford a single ticket or cable subscription to watch their team keep getting poorer with cost of living going up and income not so much; while getting pissed and upset every f***ing season with this team becoming a joke.

Why shouldn't the fans checkout? This is an abusive relationship; where dubas and co. keep abusing the fans with gutless efforts like zamboni driver game, continue rd 1 exits etc...

and then you get these gems from dubas

"fans can think whatever they want it doesnt change our BS"
"people who call out marner are idiots"
"ceci has awesome underlying stats based on my intergalactic super machine"
etc....

MLSE board allows this BS to continue. Why shouldn't the fans checkout

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I wish they would just check out then instead of reminding the rest of us daily how they are checking out.
It's fascinating how much time and energy people waste on something they hate.

Reactions: aingefan

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The day CN tower was lit in montreal colours was the day I officially got absolutely pissed off, disgusted and am probably not going to waste my evenings or arrange my evenings around the Leafs schedule.

Kyle Dubas, Keefe, Shanahan and the players ALL GOT RICH

Majority of the Leafs fans who have to work their ass off to even afford a single ticket or cable subscription to watch their team keep getting poorer with cost of living going up and income not so much; while getting pissed and upset every f***ing season with this team becoming a joke.

Why shouldn't the fans checkout? This is an abusive relationship; where dubas and co. keep abusing the fans with gutless efforts like zamboni driver game, continue rd 1 exits etc...

and then you get these gems from dubas

"fans can think whatever they want it doesnt change our BS"
"people who call out marner are idiots"
"ceci has awesome underlying stats based on my intergalactic super machine"
etc....

MLSE board allows this BS to continue. Why shouldn't the fans checkout

Fans will be Leafs fans forever. The Shanny-Dubas will likely be over VERY soon. Just need to ride it out at this point. Eventually help is on the way!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dough72

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Even if the core four are Pietra, McDavid, AM and Kuch. There are really nothing to be excited about.

geez I dunno about that...I got a little excited just reading it let alone actually having those 4 together on our team. I'd be more than a little excited if those 4 were on our opening day roster....like over the moon excited.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Not getting that vibe at all.
I'm kinda not either. There was a lot of talk between Dubas and Shanny about building long term success and being patient. I'm not sure how that looks though if the leafs rinse and repeat next year and again we are all told there's a bigger picture and we just need to stay the course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad