Just curious what Leafs faithful are thinking. Key word "Leafs faithful"

Not Marner faithful
Not Matthews faithful
Not Nylander faithful
Not Tavares faithful
Not Dubas/Shanahan/Keefe faithful
Not (insert name) faithful

BUT...

Leafs faithful what do you think? Excited or scared?

Excited: I think Leafs are gonna get better, management team is competent

Scared: Management is going to ruin the cap structure even more, literally scared of July 1st UFAs; with next 5 to 7 years being cap hell and no success.

I feel nothing: You can interpret that anyway you want. You actually feel nothing (excited or scared) you are okay with whatever.... OR the Leafs have stunned you so much that you lost the way to feel hockey LOL

I am between Scared and I feel nothing.... Not sure which way I lean more yet

EDIT: Thanks Mods for editing the title and correction

Last edited:

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I don’t know how to feel. Excited? That was this year. It looked like it was our turn. Our chance to rewrite destiny and win a few rounds. This pandemic gave us a chance at that.

We had the big 4, depth, veterans leadership, the best d core we’d have seen, we went in with 2 legit options in net. Everything looked great, and it was too. We had a record of like 15-4-2 or something by march, we had some adversity in March but finished strong due to campbells 11 game streak.

Playoffs rolled around and we were heavy favourites. Game 1, bam Tavares done. Lose it, but comeback to win 3 straight. Game 5, ok we are down 3-0 but soon tie it up and make it 3-3, head to overtime where Galchenyuk throws a bomb tape to tape to caufield and Suzuki who bury the 2-0.

Whatever there’s game 6 we will get them this time for sure; same story, 2-0 deficit, cut to 2-2 going to overtime. Some anxious moments but we dominate with 13-2 shots, but then the dermott turnover and Kotkaniemi shot give us our worst nightmares; game 7.

Everyone was panicking and was disgusted by this team. But there was still a game to play. And then there quickly wasn’t, Gallagher gets a softie to go, then on the Pp they get one and the empty netter seals it, nylander gets one back but just breaks the shutout streak.

what can we do that’s better? Add who, getzlaf to replace Thornton? Add 950k bottom six players?

Management is flawed, but not incompetent. I doubt they give someone like Hyman 4.5x8 or anyone as a matter of fact, they signed Brodie to 4 years. They won’t give out a 7-8 year deal to a middle six/top 6 player.

so I’m not scared either. I’m just like whatever

Mar 26, 2010
Don't care. This team with its current core and management for the most part is dead to me. I expect nothing more from them than abject failure.
I agree with this. This Toronto team is complete garbage. From management to coaching…to the players. They are going to miss the playoffs starting next season for years to come. The team needs to be stripped down and rebuilt through the draft.

I am barely a fan of the Leafs anymore. They have turned me right off.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I wouldn't say I'm scared of a mistake we'll make, but I think I'm going to be disappointed in small changes when I'd prefer mid to big ones.

Reactions: tronoleaf

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What’s there to be scared of? How much cap is left to spend ?

Like every year, the day will be pretty much a non event.

Reactions: egd27

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

technically Andersen, Hyman off the cap gives some money to spend on UFAs which can be problematic if not spent correctly

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Meh, to be honest I don't really have faith in whatever moves are made working out really, because this team is cursed. Maybe if there's a big core change like a Marner trade then I'll be intrigued but if it's just the same crap of adding bargain bin guys to round out the depth then I really can't be bothered to care. In the latter case wake me up when we make the second round, if ever

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

I was thinking along the same lines.

Getzlaf's name has come up a few times.

I don't have any real insight or knowledge about his salary expectations. But, is the idea that he'll sign a Spezza or Thornton minimum type contract? IF so, I have to wonder if he's really interested in that.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
It would be hard to ruin the cap management in free agency, in fact its almost good just having to look for players on 2.5,-3m cap hits instead of having money to spend on players like Hyman who are asking for 5.5m~

I'm curious to see who he targets and the type of contracts players are gonna take. I think people will be surprised at some of the cap hits and contracts given out due to the flat cap. Look at RNH - This was suppose to be his chance for a big pay day and ended up making less money then his first contract.

I find it hard to believe apart from maybe signing Chucky for depth and Andersen (unlikely to me still) any one else comes back that's a free agent. Shanahan preached they need to earn the "trust" of us fans again after this year, I doubt he thinks he gains that trust again bringing back everyone and running it back again.

XXX - Matthews - Marner
XXX - JT - Nylander
XXX - XXX - Mikahyev
Spezza - Brooks - Simmonds

My guess is Engvall gets traded to get some cap and a draft pick back and we have 15.55m to sign 4 forward / 1 dman / 1b goalie.

Reactions: Eric bungay

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Hyman will be re-signed before that day.

Based on Hyman's locker clearing out interview I have a feeling he isn't coming back.

RNH had signed a 6M deal before and then signed a 5.1 AAV for 8 years. RNH has made his money IMO.

This is Hyman's time to cash big; doubt he re-signs with the Leafs

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
CORRECTION: 2021 Free Agency starts July 28 not July 1st

Just curious what Leafs faithful are thinking. Key word "Leafs faithful"

Not Marner faithful
Not Matthews faithful
Not Nylander faithful
Not Tavares faithful
Not Dubas/Shanahan/Keefe faithful
Not (insert name) faithful

BUT...

Leafs faithful what do you think? Excited or scared?

Excited: I think Leafs are gonna get better, management team is competent

Scared: Management is going to ruin the cap structure even more, literally scared of July 1st UFAs; with next 5 to 7 years being cap hell and no success.

I feel nothing: You can interpret that anyway you want. You actually feel nothing (excited or scared) you are okay with whatever.... OR the Leafs have stunned you so much that you lost the way to feel hockey LOL

I am between Scared and I feel nothing.... Not sure which way I lean more yet

EDIT: Thanks Mods for editing the title and correction

Only mildly scared. There's very little cap space to <blank> stuff up worse. I guess Hyman could get extended for $6M or something crazy like that but otherwise there are restraints on the GM from doing anything too damaging. The GM is forced to squeeze his FA signings like it or not.

The scary will come on the trade market. The 2022 1st is good as gone as his top trade chip.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad