GDT: July 1st Free Agent Frenzy (TSN free agent tracker in post #1)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think they kinda know there's no chance he ever sniffs PP opportunities unless something horrible happens to Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, and/or Myers.

Better to let him focus on what he really needs to perfect than try to milk a rock when you already have 4 buckets of milk. What the **** did I just type?

Evergreen

I have a question for those more cap savvy in here. So player over the age of 35 can sign a contract where he can get performance bonuses that will count against next years's cap. But those deals are limited to one year only.

One of the best examples I can think of is Iginla's contract with Bruins in 2013-14 (yeah same season when they won presidents trophy and sadly MacDonald became a flyer). He signed for 6 mil with 4.2 of those being performance bonuses. Next season Hexy did just that with Kimmo where he signed him to 2 mil in basic salary and 4 mil in performance bonuses for total of 6 mil.

Could we just sign Markov to same deal as Kimmo and then next day resign him for following season, would that be deemed illegal?

Looking at capfriendly Flyers still need to add 2 forwards (Lindblom and Patrick in, Vecchi to LV) and 2 dmen (Morin, Hagg in one of Manning/Amac to LV). After that we will still have roughly 3 million left to ink Markov to above mentioned deal which would leave enough cap flexibility to deal with injuries.

Next year we have 18 mil in capspace with Umberger, Read and filppula off the books and no one really getting significant raise. I think it could be done.

I think players on one-year deals aren't eligible to re-sign until January of the following year. Something like that.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That's progress though.

Sanheim might be more talented, but I think Hagg needs to be in the NHL more than Sanheim right now. Or else we might just write him off already.

Sure but not to the point where you just throw everything out previously. Finally putting together a respectable season at 22 years old still doesn't get me all warm & fuzzy on ones future in the NHL. Especially a guy like Hagg who doesn't really have anything standout ability wise. So consistency is going to be big for him at the next level.

I really don't care about what happens to Hagg if he's not good enough. If Sanheim is better than him then he should get a spot. The cream rises to the top.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think they kinda know there's no chance he ever sniffs PP opportunities unless something horrible happens to Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, and/or Myers

I think last year they could've given him PP time, but I get why they don't from their perspective. But you can impact a game offensively at ES too. It's not only their usage of him that has irked me; it's more that they are hammering it into him that he's only good for being a stay-at-home guy. I hate when they make prospects mentally pigeonhole themselves. Tell an impressionable, good spirited, team first guy like Big Sam that he has no offense and shouldn't worry about it......he'll do it.

But as we saw with Hagg in the NHL -- a sample best to treat as a fluke for now -- perhaps Morin can show some more dimensions of his game in the NHL. They've done him few favors in that regard down on the regressive Phantoms. As much as we hate Hakstol for his personnel usage and forward offense nerfing, one of the things he does very well is run a super backend friendly system that allows d-men to have the puck a lot in the o-zone, get controlled breakouts, follow up plays, milk as many rocks as they want, and so on.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Sure but not to the point where you just throw everything out previously. Finally putting together a respectable season at 22 years old doesn't get me all warm & fuzzy on ones future in the NHL.

I really don't care about what happens to Hagg if he's not good enough. If Sanheim is better than him then he should get a spot. The cream rises to the top.

Streit couldn't get into Penguins lineup over their Ahl plugs, but he still outplayed all 4 of MDZ, Amac, Schultz and Manning. If we learned anything at the end of the season it was the fact that both Hagg and Morin were leaps and bounds better than those guys. Were it not for Raffl getting injured Weal might be Canuck by now. Somhow it seams like cream didn't rise to the top, but was stuck under a layer of solid poop.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think last year they could've given him PP time, but I get why they don't from their perspective. But you can impact a game offensively at ES too. It's not only their usage of him that has irked me; it's more that they are hammering it into him that he's only good for being a stay-at-home guy. I hate when they make prospects mentally pigeonhole themselves. Tell an impressionable, good spirited, team first guy like Big Sam that he has no offense and shouldn't worry about it......he'll do it.

But as we saw with Hagg in the NHL -- a sample best to treat as a fluke for now -- perhaps Morin can show some more dimensions of his game in the NHL. They've done him few favors in that regard down on the regressive Phantoms. As much as we hate Hakstol for his personnel usage and forward offense nerfing, one of the things he does very well is run a super backend friendly system that allows d-men to have the puck a lot in the o-zone, get controlled breakouts, follow up plays, milk as many rocks as they want, and so on.

Well the good new is that, since he's going to develop exactly like Chara, he's going to really get a lot better offensively in his 5th NHL season. So I'm not too worried.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I have a question for those more cap savvy in here. So player over the age of 35 can sign a contract where he can get performance bonuses that will count against next years's cap. But those deals are limited to one year only.

One of the best examples I can think of is Iginla's contract with Bruins in 2013-14 (yeah same season when they won presidents trophy and sadly MacDonald became a flyer). He signed for 6 mil with 4.2 of those being performance bonuses. Next season Hexy did just that with Kimmo where he signed him to 2 mil in basic salary and 4 mil in performance bonuses for total of 6 mil.

Could we just sign Markov to same deal as Kimmo and then next day resign him for following season, would that be deemed illegal?

Looking at capfriendly Flyers still need to add 2 forwards (Lindblom and Patrick in, Vecchi to LV) and 2 dmen (Morin, Hagg in one of Manning/Amac to LV). After that we will still have roughly 3 million left to ink Markov to above mentioned deal which would leave enough cap flexibility to deal with injuries.

Next year we have 18 mil in capspace with Umberger, Read and filppula off the books and no one really getting significant raise. I think it could be done.

Extensions have a lot of moving parts to them. In this case, there are two key ones.

First, as 55 said, players on one year contracts can't extend until January 1st.

Second, the average value (salary plus bonuses) of the extension cannot exceed the AAV of the existing contract plus payroll room remaining on the current season plus the AAV of expiring contracts minus previously tagged space.

It starts on the bottom of page 278 of the CBA if you want the exact language.

*Edited for clarity*

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Streit couldn't get into Penguins lineup over their Ahl plugs, but he still outplayed all 4 of MDZ, Amac, Schultz and Manning. If we learned anything at the end of the season it was the fact that both Hagg and Morin were leaps and bounds better than those guys. Were it not for Raffl getting injured Weal might be Canuck by now. Somhow it seams like cream didn't rise to the top, but was stuck under a layer of solid poop.

When you're still developing players being better than plugs isn't the bar to set to get them into the NHL. We're now pretty much past the point of developing with guys like Morin, Hagg, & Sanheim. So the bar isn't as high anymore to make the roster.

When it comes to Weal he honestly didn't look impressive in preseason last year. The Flyers had nothing invested in him so there was no incentive to just award him a spot based on principle. I'm not saying an opinion on a player can't change because mine certainly has with Weal & I'm sure a lot others as well. But you can't rewrite history here. Weal didn't show really any signs before hand compared to what he did at the end of the season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Except Streit didn't, it was painful trying to watch him skate, as much as people hate MacDonald, he was the best of the four, while MDZ was the most talented (and most mistake prone). Tallest midget for sure, but that's been the problem for years.

If Raffl is healthy, Weal doesn't play in front him because a healthy Raffl is a better player. Weal doesn't beat out VdV or PEB because he lacks fourth line checking skills and isn't talented enough to carry the fourth line as a center.

Hagg and Morin needed the year in the AHL, that's why they looked like real defensemen in their cameos. I don't think Hagg is going to be an all star, but he had a solid AHL season in what was really his second AHL year (first season he was junior eligible) - had he spent a year in juniors then had the last two AHL seasons he'd be seen as a rising prospect, instead a decent first AHL year created unrealistic expectations. Hagg has size, mobility and decent offensive skills.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
When you're still developing players being better than plugs isn't the bar to set to get them into the NHL. We're now pretty much past the point of developing with guys like Morin, Hagg, & Sanheim. So the bar isn't as high anymore to make the roster.

When it comes to Weal he honestly didn't look impressive in preseason last year. The Flyers had nothing invested in him so there was no incentive to just award him a spot based on principle.

Didn't stop us from rewarding guys like Gordon, VDV and PEB. And not only over Weal, but guys like Laughton and Cousins too. Heck even Read, Raffl and Weise got into pressbox before VDV did. I know we chalk it up to Hakstol, but I worry Hexy played a part in this too.

Please someone give VDV Ahl deal and take him off the market.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well the good new is that, since he's going to develop exactly like Chara, he's going to really get a lot better offensively in his 5th NHL season. So I'm not too worried.

Morin said he would be one of the best Dman in the NHL at age 25....so obviously this year is a big jump up.

:)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Didn't stop us from awarding guys like Gordon, VDV and PEB. And not only over him but guys like Laughton and Cousins too. Heck even Read, Raffl and Weise got into pressbox before VDV. I know we chalk it up to Hakstol, but I worry Hexy played a part in this too.

Please someone give VDV Ahl deal and take him off the market.

NHL teams still overvalue their veterans even this one. Both coaching staff & management included. You're not unearthing something shocking here.

My mindset is always to get the unproven a chance over the proven garbage but unfortunately it doesn't work like that in the NHL.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Not so fast my friend Canada is still sending Mike Commodore.

Seriously between him, Mozyakin and Datsyuk there will be some firepower on their roster. Medvedev could be one of the better players to go as well and depending on Tampa best d prospect outside of league might be there too.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Now with Kovalchuk out of the picture Jagr should find a team. Wouldn't surprise me if one of those teams that couldn't land Kovalchuk will sign Jagr now.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Just my two cents, as I want no part of jumping in on this discussion that got lengthy in a hurry.

Imo, Sanheim is better than Morin and Hagg already at this point, however, the latter two are hitting their sink or swim stage while also having little left to prove at the AHL level relative to their projectable future roles---Sanheim, on the other hand has more time on his side and also has more left to prove at the AHL given that his future projectable role in the NHL is much more comprehensive and important to us.

I've got no issue whatsoever with Hagg and Morin starting with the Fyers out of camp, provided that they're up for it, while leaving Sanheim in the minors to soak up #1 defensive minutes and especially the PP1 minutes.

Sanheim, to me, has always seemed to take a little bit of time to fit into new teams and new levels, I believe because the game he's capable of is so overbearing and dominant. For example, we all remember how unstoppable he was in juniors, he ran an entire team on his own, it was ridiculous to watch. When thrown into the WJC, he seemed to hold back his style and game in an attempt to fit with the coaches expectations in a short tournament. He's shy but respectful and confident, I've got not problem with that and would like to see him given the opportunity to show his true colors and build up all that momentum at the AHL level, letting him blow the doors off the place and take that confidence upto the NHL from there. I really don't think it'll take him very long at all once given the similar green light that a guy like Brennan had last year, and think it'd be worth the while to let him experience.

When he gets up there, I'd really like to see him in Ghost's spot on the PP1, Ghost in Jake's spot, and either Lindblom or Jake in Schenn's old spot. With Ghost in the real prime shooting area, I don't think it's so essential to have a great shot in the middle and even though Schenn had a decent shot there, most his his tallies were from willingness to get into the dirt and bang home rebounds and other point blank opportunities.

Last edited:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I'm really curious what kind of contract a 35+ Kovalchuk would get coming from the KHL.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad