GDT: July 1st Free Agent Frenzy (TSN free agent tracker in post #1)

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
I'm really curious what kind of contract a 35+ Kovalchuk would get coming from the KHL.

EDIT:

Definitely an odd year for Kovi to return with the Olympics. Sounds like Putin wants that Gold medal bad even if its Russia all-stars vs NHL retreads.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
If Raffl is healthy, Weal doesn't play in front him because a healthy Raffl is a better player.

I strongly disagree with the notion that Raffl is a better player than Weal.

It took Weal 23 games to outscore Raffl's 52 game total.

I'm fine with Raffl as a 3rd or 4th liner, but there's no comparison in their skill levels, IMO, and Raffl has already declined from his peak in 2014 of 21 goals and 7 assists playing with Giroux and Voracek.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
The thing about Weal is that he's been a remarkable scorer since before his draft year, so it's not really like he's a late-blooming flash-in-the-pan. For Regina, Weal had similar (arguably, better) numbers to Jordan Eberle, whom he played with for two years. His only season below ~PPG in the AHL was in his first during the lockout when Toffoli and Pearson were down and likely getting the opportunities.

At the very least, he's definitely earned the opportunity. He's obviously not the next Danny Briere, but I don't think a Mathieu Perreault is out of the question here.

He could be a Jason Akeson, too, but Weal's been a much more consistent scorer since the time he was 16 in the WHL, so I think there's more to him than that.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Weal did a lot well in the dirty areas and driving possession that way, but I'd like to see what happens if/when he gets more confidence to make plays with the puck. He's a very skilled playmaker, and that didn't show as much as him grinding out plays along the boards and at the net. Don't want to see that go away, but there's definitely another level of skill he could inject into his game this season.

Perhaps I should replace my irrational criticism of Schenn with irrational support of Weal.

Weal is indeed very svelte. Bet he only eats salmon.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The thing about Weal is that he's been a remarkable scorer since before his draft year, so it's not really like he's a late-blooming flash-in-the-pan. For Regina, Weal had similar (arguably, better) numbers to Jordan Eberle, whom he played with for two years. His only season below ~PPG in the AHL was in his first during the lockout when Toffoli and Pearson were down and likely getting the opportunities.

At the very least, he's definitely earned the opportunity. He's obviously not the next Danny Briere, but I don't think a Mathieu Perreault is out of the question here.

He could be a Jason Akeson, too, but Weal's been a much more consistent scorer since the time he was 16 in the WHL, so I think there's more to him than that.

Yeah, well that may be, but consider this: I don't like him and he sucks.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Weal is indeed very svelte. Bet he only eats salmon.

tumblr_lp6l1pBqep1r0hq53o1_400.gif

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Weal did a lot well in the dirty areas and driving possession that way, but I'd like to see what happens if/when he gets more confidence to make plays with the puck. He's a very skilled playmaker, and that didn't show as much as him grinding out plays along the boards and at the net. Don't want to see that go away, but there's definitely another level of skill he could inject into his game this season.

Hm. Weal doing most of his work grinding on the boards is not how I saw it at all. I thought Weal made more plays carrying the puck than any other forward on the team after his call-up. He was a breath of fresh air carrying possession deep into the offensive zone and creating space to set up offense. In fact, I thought his ability to do so stood out and showed just how much the Flyers had been lacking in that area since Jagr left.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Hm. Weal doing most of his work grinding on the boards is not how I saw it at all. I thought Weal made more plays carrying the puck than any other forward on the team after his call-up. He was a breath of fresh air carrying possession deep into the offensive zone and creating space to set up offense. In fact, I thought his ability to do so stood out and showed just how much the Flyers had been lacking in that area since Jagr left.

Me too, I am glad he was re-signed and have a feeling he will add a much needed element to the lineup.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Weal did drive play really well but once the Flyers were set up in the ozone, he also did good work along the boards. The fact is, he played weally well and nothing Striiker can say will change that :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad