GDT: July 1st Free Agent Frenzy (TSN free agent tracker in post #1)

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
At this point, I'd attach an asset to MacDonald to shed that contract in full.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
The team likes Macdonald.

The contract dollars suck but hes only got a few years left. In 2 years we are gonna have a a lot of space. That's when you go out and pick up a free agent replacement. It's not like we are a piece away from winning the cup.

I hate having Macdonald on the team but we just have to deal with it barring a miracle from hexy.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
At this point, I'd attach an asset to MacDonald to shed that contract in full.

Meh, it isn't like we're going to replace him with anything of value via UFA so I wouldn't do that. I like Markov but I would not waste a pick or prospect to get him. Too old too expensive. If he wanted half the money I'd do two years but not at $6 mil. Ride out the AMac contract at least until we need the space. Then we can dump him with a pick or buy him out. Until then we can bury him and save $1 million or so or we can just let him ride the pine.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't give up a pick to get rid of him.

The potential positives of a pick are greater than the negatives of MacDonald.

His contract doesn't hurt us, it's not like he's going to cause us to lose one of our prospects or core players. If it ever got to the point where it potentially could, which is unlikely, THEN you worry about moving him. The longer you wait the less you have to add to get rid of him.

As for on ice play, once the prospects establish themselves as consistent pros, he can be pushed down the lineup and be as small of a headache as possible.

This isn't the same thing as the Hartnell contract where he has a NMC and the potential to seriously decline, becoming an immovable contract. His value will actually increase as his contract runs out so the longer we wait the better.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
If MacDonald was getting paid only 2.5mil a year i wouldn't have a problem wit him. He's getting paid like he's a top 4 d-man when he is a depth defenseman at best.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
If MacDonald was getting paid only 2.5mil a year i wouldn't have a problem wit him. He's getting paid like he's a top 4 d-man when he is a depth defenseman at best.

We have the cap room right now to deal with his salary. The problem isn't that he's getting paid like a top 4 defenseman, it's that he's getting played like a top 2 defenseman.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Guys Hextall went on record saying how he didn't like to waive Gordon last year, because he doesn't like the idea of loosing an asset. I wouldn't expecting him parting with a draft pick to shed Amac. However He got rid of Gnome, Pronger, Remaldo, Vinny and ultimately Hartnell (which could very likely mean that Laughton is in Vegas and PEB is still a flyer), so I wouldn't put it past him to pull of his magic once again.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Which is why I think he's tradeable if we retain half his salary, compared to some of the dreck in FA, $7.5M/3 years isn't outrageous for MacDonald.

But the idea we should give up real assets to get rid of him, then go out and buy another aging, overpaid veteran, reeks of Holmgren - do this for a few years and you strip your team of young assets - been there, done that.

We have plenty of cap room for the season and no need to sign an overpriced veteran. So I'm agreeing with Striiker, this isn't like Hartnell where we faced a cap crunch and getting a 4th back instead of losing other players was the best we could do. There's need at all to "dump" MacDonald (retaining salary is different, cuts his cost in half without need of a buyout).

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Meh, it isn't like we're going to replace him with anything of value via UFA so I wouldn't do that. I like Markov but I would not waste a pick or prospect to get him. Too old too expensive. If he wanted half the money I'd do two years but not at $6 mil. Ride out the AMac contract at least until we need the space. Then we can dump him with a pick or buy him out. Until then we can bury him and save $1 million or so or we can just let him ride the pine.

Not true.

Replacing AMac with Markov is an upgrade.

Talk to Vegas...give them:
AMac: eat minutes
Read: who they can flip at deadline
Hagg: This is the payoff for taking AMac. They can tuck him in the AHL this year to further sell guys off thru the year and he can come up at the deadline for them.

We would still have Provy, Ghost, Gudas, Sanheim, Morin, Markov for the next 2 years...then Myers replaces Markov....Friedman replaces Gudas...when Hextall sees fit.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
I wouldn't give up a pick to get rid of him.

The potential positives of a pick are greater than the negatives of MacDonald.

His contract doesn't hurt us, it's not like he's going to cause us to lose one of our prospects or core players. If it ever got to the point where it potentially could, which is unlikely, THEN you worry about moving him. The longer you wait the less you have to add to get rid of him.

As for on ice play, once the prospects establish themselves as consistent pros, he can be pushed down the lineup and be as small of a headache as possible.

This isn't the same thing as the Hartnell contract where he has a NMC and the potential to seriously decline, becoming an immovable contract. His value will actually increase as his contract runs out so the longer we wait the better.

I see value in making room for Markov and/or the rooks. Waiting is for suckers. Flyers are going to have to deal quality to compete

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I see value in making room for Markov and/or the rooks. Waiting is for suckers. Flyers are going to have to deal quality to compete

You don't have to purge all bad players before competing.

If the team can't carry MacDonald then they're sure as hell not good enough to win a cup. I just don't see him as a big enough problem, either cap-wise or play-wise, to give up assets to move him. Especially not this year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

This. Thank you.

The patience around here often crosses the line into complacency.

**** MacDonald. Get him off the team now. It is a disgrace having him on this team earning $5 million.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
You don't have to purge all bad players before competing.

If the team can't carry MacDonald then they're sure as hell not good enough to win a cup. I just don't see him as a big enough problem, either cap-wise or play-wise, to give up assets to move him. Especially not this year.

Never said that. MacDonald's not a huge problem, but I want Markov and winning!

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I'd add a 3rd to MacDonald if that enables us to sign Markov.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I dont see why everbody thinks Sanheim is jumping Hagg. I don't think Sanheim is ahead of Hagg unless he comes in this year and completely flops in training camp. If last year was any indication the organization expects Hagg and Morin to make the jump. Of course they have to earn it in camp but some will be disappointed to see Sanheim in the AHL agian.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sanheim is already better than Hagg. Easily.

The Hagg hype was because he bounced back and had a good season after a very disappointing one. Which is likely why he got rewarded with an NHL game at the end of the year, but that doesn't mean he's better than Sanheim or has a better chance to stick in the NHL.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Sanheim is already better than Hagg. Easily.

Why because hes offensively better?

IMO Sanheim has become really overrated around here. He still needs to get stronger and work on his game defensively.

Hagg looked very pleasing in his NHL debut. We have yet to see Sanheim take that step.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So because Hagg has less offense that means he's better defensively?

No idea why people always act like good offense always means bad defense.

Sanheim did a very good job defensively last year. He's no Provorov, but he's definitely not a liability. Not even close.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I dont see why everbody thinks Sanheim is jumping Hagg. I don't think Sanheim is ahead of Hagg unless he comes in this year and completely flops in training camp. If last year was any indication the organization expects Hagg and Morin to make the jump. Of course they have to earn it in camp but some will be disappointed to see Sanheim in the AHL agian.
Yeah, after giving Hagg and Morin a taste of NHL hockey, they have to start the season with the Flyers. I imagine both of them are expecting to make the team at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad