Confirmed with Link: Julien & Muller Fired! Ducharme Interim Coach & Burrows Joins Habs Coaching Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I just feel Kulak is a better fit. Chiarot should be the odd-man out.

Now come on, you may not like Chiarot (I like the guy personally) or his play lately, but in no way should Brett Kulak ever be ahead of him or a better fit on the blueline. Kulak is only an upgrade on Mete because he can physically handle NHL sized forwards. He’s a 7th defenseman on most good teams. At best.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
In the playoffs (excluding the game he got ejected early):

9 GP 4 G 0 A 4 P 10 SOG 15ish minutes per game.

The biggest difference is him shooting 6% instead of 40%. He was good in the playoffs and he's been good to start the year. I think it's reasonable to question how high his ceiling is but he's been a contributor. Last year he was a disaster (pre playoffs).
He hadn't had one game all season where he had more then 16 mins in a single game, under Julien.

IIRC, he crossed that 16 min mark 3 times in the bubble under Muller.

So yes I understand that a high shooting % was a factor.. but so is icetime.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
It's definitely a -tight- battle between the 3 you named.

Time has made some of us forget how bad Houle was. He lost almost every trade and we got a lot older. He'd throw a prospect in with every trade. Drafting was terrible during that time so he didn't restock the cupboards. It was an awful Habs era.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Good. Very good.

Don’t know Ducharme really well. Hope he suprisd and be good.

Was hoping Gallant thougj

Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Now come on, you may not like Chiarot (I like the guy personally) or his play lately, but in no way should Brett Kulak ever be ahead of him or a better fit on the blueline. Kulak is only an upgrade on Mete because he can physically handle NHL sized forwards. He’s a 7th defenseman on most good teams. At best.

We were discussing who's the better fit WITH ROMANOV.

At least read the quote I reply to to get a jist

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It’s not about coaching it’s about Montreal having no offensive talent. When is the last time the Habs have had an elite offensive player? It’s probably Alex Kovalev and even then he was older and flawed as a player. Aside from him you’d probably have to go back to Guy Lafleur. You see teams like Edmonton and Toronto with these generational talents and you can’t help but be pissed off. The fact is Montreal has an average roster with no elite talent.

Bergevin has done nothing to help the situation. Timmins still taking up too much decision-making room. And Bergevin has not been able to move up in the first round of any of his drafts.

We've also had no Stutzle when picking third the one year we settled on Galchenyuk.

I don't know how else we're supposed to land that big time scoring talent -- those kind of scoring talents aren't moved all that often.

Reactions: OldCraig71

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This draft is closer to 2012 than anything.. high pick ain't gonna help when it can be f***ing Matt Beniers in the top 5

Rumor has it Timmins was really high on Forsberg and Terravainen.

I don't want to get into a debate about Timmins. But I've always hated the drafting for need/position strategy. Do the work, draft the player you best think will be a good hockey player. Hopefully KK does well. But they loved Tkachuk and were clearly going to ta kn e the center if if they had Tkachuk ahead of KK. In hindsight they've said they took Galchenyuk over Forsberg and Reilly because they were looking for centers - not as an excuse, but as a justification!

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Time has made some of us forget how bad Houle was. He lost almost every trade and we got a lot older. He'd throw a prospect in with every trade. Drafting was terrible during that time so he didn't restock the cupboards. It was an awful Habs era.

Actually, it was the other way around towards the end. Got Souray for Malakhov and had quite a draft in 98.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This Danault pandering has to end. He's had the team's best offensive players for too long now. He claimed that he had another offensive gear -- where is it?
The funny thing is...the ONLY time they stopped pandering to Danault in that role, they looked great in the bubble.

Like I get why they relied on Danault so much, I really do.

But to stubbornly stick too it, even through two 8 game losing streaks without ever considering changing it, is madness.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Bergevin has done nothing to help the situation. Timmins still taking up too much decision-making room. And Bergevin has not been able to move up in the first round of any of his drafts.

We've also had no Stutzle when picking third the one year we settled on Galchenyuk.

I don't know how else we're supposed to land that big time scoring talent -- those kind of scoring talents aren't moved all that often.

No but we had a freaking Tkachuk sitting there the last time we picked at #3!

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
As good as Ducharme's reputation is, he has litteraly no practice time till the end of the season, and as an iterim, won't have much lattitude to shuffle the deck.
First move is to invert game ratio between Price and Allen, but I have zero hope it will happen.

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
I just feel Kulak is a better fit. Chiarot should be the odd-man out.

Chiarot is put in bad situation where he has to play on the top pairing where he shouldn't. He is an excellent no4, just like Edmundson.
Bergevin inability to bring a real partner to weber should be questionned.

Chiarot ahead of kulak anyday on my team, and any NHL GM teams is a ni brainer

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Agreed, makes no sense. Seems more like RDS is trying hard to suck up to the new boss.

It does make sense though. While the Habs were scoring lots, they also gave up a lot of goals. Claude would not have liked that, regardless of the outcome. He’d want them to play a more “playoff” style.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Without the pandemic, wonder if this would have happened last summer? There would have been a lot of pressure to make that move with missing the playoffs again.

The playoff performance raised the expectation bar and they added some good players, who have all played well. And yet they have still struggled.

Anyway wish the new coach well, hope he doesn't mind facing the press everyday. How 'bout that powerplay coach?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No but we had a freaking Tkachuk sitting there the last time we picked at #3!

Mistakes were made, but the draft is all too often a crapshoot but it shouldn't be with your early picks.

You never select a player on account of need unless the player is in the same tier as another desirable asset. That's what happened there.

However, go back to Galchenyuk -- there was no Stutzle in that spot. Not too many teams had Reilly at the top of their list at the time.

Anyway, the time to move on from Timmins has long passed us.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Chiarot is put in bad situation where he has to play on the top pairing where he shouldn't. He is an excellent no4, just like Edmundson.
Bergevin inability to bring a real partner to weber should be questionned.

Chiarot ahead of kulak anyday on my team, and any NHL GM teams is a ni brainer

You can pretend to associate your vision with an appeal to pseudo-authority, doesn't change the fact Kulak is far more reliable defensively than Chiarot, even on the lower pairings.

Can't believe how ridiculous your "any NHL GM" comment is. Please direct your assinine replies to someone else

Reactions: Tighthead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad