Player Discussion Julien Gauthier #77 - RW

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Who is "he"? Gauthier? If so I see his strengths as size, speed and some puck handling at speed; however, I have not been impressed with his "shot" so far. I did see a physical check in the last game, but not enough of them to make me say "wow"!

We currently have Kelly and Kastelic signed for next season, so we have an opening for a winger; Gauthier might be it.
I guess you missed the two he put in the top shelf.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I am not sure if a line such as the following would work out; however, I would certainly like its size: Gauthier - Kastelic - Sokolov.

It might be a bit slow though.

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
I am not sure if a line such as the following would work out; however, I would certainly like its size: Gauthier - Kastelic - Sokolov.

Kasty got fastest skater at Sens skills and Gauthier is also a blazer, he gets a decent amount of breakaways, I guess any line with Soko may be a bit slow but it doesn't get much faster than those too.

Either way outside of Brass, Gauthier is the most productive bottom six guy we've had so unsure why he's getting exiled

Reactions: Larionov and Cosmix

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

Gauthier is speedy. Kastelic is average and Soko speed is over criticized

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Who is "he"? Gauthier? If so I see his strengths as size, speed and some puck handling at speed; however, I have not been impressed with his "shot" so far. I did see a physical check in the last game, but not enough of them to make me say "wow"!

We currently have Kelly and Kastelic signed for next season, so we have an opening for a winger; Gauthier might be it.
My point was he, Goat, seems to feed off the physicality of his linemates. Not that he goes off or anything, but he was more physical playing with physical guys and we need to squeeze every hit and leaning we can get out of the huge guy. Especially in the playoffs. The speed and shot are his bread and butter than can spread out the D for the fourth line, and add a scoring threat with Kasty.

He needs to shore up his 200 for game.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Gauthier 5v5 per 60 stats with the Sens (15 games)
Goals 1.28
Points 2.14
Shots 7.27
Giveaways .43
Takeaways 2.99
Hits 13.68
-----
CF% 48.68

Gauthier 5v5 per 60 with the Rangers (40 games)
Goals 1.09
Points 1.63
Shots 6.52
Giveaways 1.45
Takeaways 1.09
Hits 12.67

Joseph 5v5 per 60 (54 games)
Goals 0
Points 1.25
Shots 5.01
Giveaways 1.46
Takeaways 1.88
Hits 7.82
-----------------
CF% 49.45

Gauthier Cost/pt $57,142
Joseph Cost/pt $163,888

==========================================

I could make a case to resign Gauthier to a 1m or less per contract and to dump Joseph.
Gauthier is a 4th liner outproducing a 3m AAV player we have playing on the 3rd line
We get a somewhat less polished player that can skate as well and plays more physical while out producing the other on the score sheet with less opportunity. We give up a more seasoned player who can PK at a decent but replaceable level.

Verdict
Sign Gauthier to play on the 4th line.
Move Joseph try to recoup something and channel the savings into upgrading or other needs

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wouldn't mind them trying to put Gauthier on a scoring line maybe with Tkachuk & Stutzle, with his speed he will have no problem keeping up & maybe with those two they could turn him into a goal scorer. Gauthier used to be a bit of a goal scorer in junior & the AHL.

That would allow them to move Giroux to the 2nd line & Batherson who is both a playmaker & goal scorer to the 3rd line to create another scoring line along with Pinto. Sokolov would add some goal scoring & playmaking to the 4th line to hopefuly create more offence for them.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Gauthier
DBC - Norris - Giroux
Formenton - Pinto - Batherson
Ostapchuk - Kastelic - Sokolov/Kelly

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and Ice-Tray

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
We’re going to need some sub-1m players in the lineup next season. Gauthier has size and speed to burn. Nearly Every game he plays he creates a chance in the rush. Doesn’t seem likely he’ll bury lots of them but he backs up the other team and I’d rather a 4th line that plays in the oppositions zone rather than their own.

I’ve been more impressed with gauthier than say gambrell or Kelly.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Kasty got fastest skater at Sens skills and Gauthier is also a blazer, he gets a decent amount of breakaways, I guess any line with Soko may be a bit slow but it doesn't get much faster than those too.

Either way outside of Brass, Gauthier is the most productive bottom six guy we've had so unsure why he's getting exiled
Formenton would take his position in my fantasy roster, playing with Pinto and Joseph (if we can afford them).

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't get why we signed Motte.

Might have. I did see his misses.
He put two top shelf glove side, beating the goalie clean on unscreened shots. He can clearly shoot it.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He put two top shelf glove side, beating the goalie clean on unscreened shots. He can clearly shoot it.
I hope he can continue to do it and do it more often. I wonder why he was held out of some games. Was he hurt?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
We could do much worse for our 4th line. Gauthier has speed and size.

As of now, he's 4th in point per 60, gets loads of defensive zone starts and is only 25. More 4th liners like him plz

Reactions: guyzeur

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Gauthier is speedy. Kastelic is average and Soko speed is over criticized
Gauthier has high end top speed but his acceleration and edge work quickness is not high end. I think he would be a decent player on the roster next season.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
No brainer to QO him imo, I can’t see him getting much even in arb and he’s at least a good extra winger

Reactions: DrEasy

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
He has:
3 goals
2 assists
5 points
in 15 games
Not bad for 9:44 per game.
(on a new team)
Ive noticed him every game he’s played tbh. A lot more than I can say for Kelly Watson Gambrell and they kept playing. I have disliked our bottom 6 a lot this season. Dont get many roster decisions with DJ and dont get why Gauthier hasnt played much when you see what they ice

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Ive noticed him every game he’s played tbh. A lot more than I can say for Kelly Watson Gambrell and they kept playing. I have disliked our bottom 6 a lot this season. Dont get many roster decisions with DJ and dont get why Gauthier hasnt played much when you see what they ice
He’s been sick for a while.

Reactions: Rodzilla

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Gauthier is a guy with a lot great tools, he just doesn't always do much with them. I like his type of player, the size and speed but it's an organizational fit as to whether you bring him back.

He can definitely play on the fourth line but who's spot does he take? Are we dropping a Watson, who kills penalties for him? Is there another player to kill penalties?

The fourth line has to make sense for budget but also team construction POV. Gauthier is limited in use, given he is an even strength only player.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Gauthier is a guy with a lot great tools, he just doesn't always do much with them. I like his type of player, the size and speed but it's an organizational fit as to whether you bring him back.

He can definitely play on the fourth line but who's spot does he take? Are we dropping a Watson, who kills penalties for him? Is there another player to kill penalties?

The fourth line has to make sense for budget but also team construction POV. Gauthier is limited in use, given he is an even strength only player.
We already have Stu, Joseph and Giroux who can be used on the PK. Gambrell is another one, IF he's back next year. Formenton another one, hopefully. I'm not worried about finding forwards for the PK in-house. I'd be wary of bringing Watson back next year, as I fear he might suddenly age like Holden did.

I could live with Gauthier as a 13th forward. Inevitably with injuries he might end up playing the entire season on the 4th line, unless of course he's the one getting injured.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We already have Stu, Joseph and Giroux who can be used on the PK. Gambrell is another one, IF he's back next year. Formenton another one, hopefully. I'm not worried about finding forwards for the PK in-house. I'd be wary of bringing Watson back next year, as I fear he might suddenly age like Holden did.

I could live with Gauthier as a 13th forward. Inevitably with injuries he might end up playing the entire season on the 4th line, unless of course he's the one getting injured.
G is a PK face off guy, not a regular though.

We’re missing Hammy, and last game Watson on the PK, guys that will block shots like crazy. It’s not that much of a surprise that our PK numbers slip when we lose our top PK D. Gotta get in lanes and block shots on the pk.

Reactions: Cosmix

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Formenton would take his position in my fantasy roster, playing with Pinto and Joseph (if we can afford them).

If Formenton comes back to NHL I highly doubt its with the Sens, some bad blood for sure, I assume he will be moved along IF cleared

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00