Player Discussion Julien Gauthier #77 - RW

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Brick hands, but isn't a liability. Wish he would shoot more and be more aggressive in the opponents end, but he's doing what I'd expect out of a guy playing 10 min a game

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Yeah he big and fast...but I much rather see someone from BSens here. Soko is slower, but similar sized and has been Belleville's highest scorer yet again.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don't get why we traded Motte for this guy.

Because Dorion can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

If we aren't re-signing Paul then we need a replacement 3rd liner in Joseph coming back, and if we aren't re-signing Motte we need a replacement 4th liner in Gauthier coming back, even if we lose out on a pick or have to downgrade a pick to make it happen.

It's like he's allergic to the waiver wire or something.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I don't get why we traded Motte for this guy.
i think its cuz Gauthier can probably be resigned for $1 million for a few years and the gap between him and Motte isn't too large, he's younger as well so can get better. Motte is probably looking for a UFA deal that pays him. Even if its $2million, that's more than what I'd like to play.

To me, they're both 4th line guys if we make the playoffs

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
It's the kind of trade you make when you're not sure if you're a buyer or a seller.

Yeah, maybe that's it. It's just strange considering it was a lateral at best move, but closer to weakening the team.

i think its cuz Gauthier can probably be resigned for $1 million for a few years and the gap between him and Motte isn't too large, he's younger as well so can get better. Motte is probably looking for a UFA deal that pays him. Even if its $2million, that's more than what I'd like to play.

To me, they're both 4th line guys if we make the playoffs

Not sure I buy that. Gauthier is what he is, and next year's budget don't think came to play here. Doesn't make sense in the short term for a team that was still technically in the thick of things.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Not sure why Dorion didn’t just take a higher pick for Motte if they think this little of him. Even I knew Gauthier was “fast, big, not physical, hands of stone” when they acquired him and I’m just a fan thats watched him play. Legit where are all this orgs pro scouts lol

Still think he’s worth a roster spot just for the one shift a game where he flies down the wing with the puck before firing it into the goalies chest, as it leads to an o-zone faceoff and that alone probably has more value than what the rest of Ottawas bottom 6 provides lol

Reactions: DrEasy

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Because Dorion can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

If we aren't re-signing Paul then we need a replacement 3rd liner in Joseph coming back, and if we aren't re-signing Motte we need a replacement 4th liner in Gauthier coming back, even if we lose out on a pick or have to downgrade a pick to make it happen.

It's like he's allergic to the waiver wire or something.

This part really is weird. Tolvanen has more goals in Seattle than Motte and Gauthier combined over both the Sens and Rangers.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I’ve like him in every game he’s played. Not a world beater. But. He’s used his size. Not done stupid things defensively. And his speed has been an asset.

Reactions: asw

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I’ve like him in every game he’s played. Not a world beater. But. He’s used his size. Not done stupid things defensively. And his speed has been an asset.
He reminds me of Greening, only not as good defensively and a bit better offensively

Big guy, skates really well, isn't as physical as you wish he was...

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think he’s a guy that plays his best when he’s with other big physical guys because he feeds off that. His strengths are speed on the forecheck and shooting the puck. That’s not a bad compliment for a guy like Kasty, and another well chosen 4th line winger.

Reactions: asw

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
2nd time I've seen Gauthier bust down the left side, off wing, and go top cheese for a goal

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think he’s a guy that plays his best when he’s with other big physical guys because he feeds off that. His strengths are speed on the forecheck and shooting the puck. That’s not a bad compliment for a guy like Kasty, and another well chosen 4th line winger.
Who is "he"? Gauthier? If so I see his strengths as size, speed and some puck handling at speed; however, I have not been impressed with his "shot" so far. I did see a physical check in the last game, but not enough of them to make me say "wow"!

We currently have Kelly and Kastelic signed for next season, so we have an opening for a winger; Gauthier might be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00