Prospect Info: Jujhar Khaira

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Didn't see the game but from highlights the way he picked off that pass and threw in a quick backhand was pretty nice. Not something I would have expected from him.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Khaira seems to have good offensive awareness when cycling. Also, seems like his hands and passing ability are decent.

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
Liked his first game, but not expecting any points from him... ever.

Had stone hands from the AHL games I saw early in the season. His upside is Matt Hendricks.

EDIT: Doh.. just read the Cult of Hockey article and they compared him to Hendricks.... lol.
Hendricks has good hands though

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Even though this was a different era, Tony Twist played for the Spruce Kings.

Whats the draw? I take it you have never been there, go there (preferably in the summer) and you will see what the draw is, there are TONS of Albertans there in the summer, its my favorite vacation spot to go to, Skaha Lake is incerdible and the newer sports complex is beautiful. Even the drive between Kelowna and Penticton is gorgeous.

I go there twice a year, but it's a BC league so it's not like you are talking about playing in Canmore or Fort Mac. There are quite a few appealing places to play in the BCHL.

actionjackson

Jun 22, 2010
I go there twice a year, but it's a BC league so it's not like you are talking about playing in Canmore or Fort Mac. There are quite a few appealing places to play in the BCHL.

Did you really just compare Canmore to Fort Mac?!?!

(although in terms of hockey they would be similar places to play...scenery aside!)

Last edited:

actionjackson

Jun 22, 2010
I more was comparing a good place to a bad place.

Truer words have never been spoken! I would think the actual hockey aspect of playing in Fort Mac would be quite good (compared to other teams in the league)...but the reality of having to live there...YUCK!

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Khaira seems to have good offensive awareness when cycling. Also, seems like his hands and passing ability are decent.

Yes, he was able to be in the proper position to receive passes and also connected numerous passes to his line mates while cycling against the Penguins. The only thing that may hold him back is that he appeared slow at times in the neutral zone. I'll watch him a few more games while he learns the system before I attribute this to lack of foot speed instead of hesitation.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Not sure why Hendricks is a bad comparison. Id love a Hendricks from Khaira. Good 4th liner with energy. His upside is Brodziak, but id settle for Hendricks

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Not sure why Hendricks is a bad comparison. Id love a Hendricks from Khaira. Good 4th liner with energy. His upside is Brodziak, but id settle for Hendricks

Im sorry but hes way to slow to be Hendricks or Brodziak.

I actually dont see a full time NHL player in JJ. I hope im wrong, cause we actually need a player from after the first round sometime!

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Truer words have never been spoken! I would think the actual hockey aspect of playing in Fort Mac would be quite good (compared to other teams in the league)...but the reality of having to live there...YUCK!

You guys can hate on Fort Mac all you want, but it's actually a great place to live now. It's not like it was 15 years ago, when there were crack heads everywhere, and everyone was just doing coke and getting drunk. I used to hate living here. But now, I love it. Generous people, lots of hard working families, lots of good restaurants, best rec facility in the country, fantastic new football and baseball stadiums. It's actually a great place to live now a days.

But if people want to keep up that old Fort Mac is a hell hole sterotype they can go right ahead.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I don't think there is a player I am rooting for more than I am Khaira right now.

I feel bad for the kid because he deserves a point by now. But I love his work along the boards. He is a better skater and puck handler than I expected too.

Really hoping we can develop him into a solid middle 6 winger.

It would also be refreshing to have Davidson and Khaira (both picked after round 2) succeed in our lineup.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What I really like about Khaira is that he doesn't change his game, no matter where in the lineup he's slotted.

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
I haven't had time to follow the game threads recently, but is it just me, or should Khaira be on a 2 game point streak now?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
We need more players like him that are strong on the puck and can skate and have SOME skill - to stay afloat in the Western Conference.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
He badly needs to improve his skating and then could be a useful piece to the puzzle.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
He badly needs to improve his skating and then could be a useful piece to the puzzle.

I think he needs more experience at the NHL level to be positionally effective too. You don't have to be the fastest guy on the ice, especially in his role, you just need to be in the right spots at the right time.
Smarts > Speed

duul

Jun 21, 2010
He plays centre in the AHL. He could actually end up becoming a good 3C at some point in his career. He looks like he belongs there on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines. Very capable player.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

His straightline skating actually seems to be OK.

He needs some time with David Pelletier (who I don't think gets enough credit for Draisaitl's meteoric rise). Khaira's edges and turning need work, for sure.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I haven't had time to follow the game threads recently, but is it just me, or should Khaira be on a 2 game point streak now?

Definitely got robbed of one assist and I love his 'get the puck to the skill and go to the net' strategy. The kid really knows his role and his limitations. Smart player.

McDeathbyCheerios*

His straightline skating actually seems to be OK.

He needs some time with David Pelletier (who I don't think gets enough credit for Draisaitl's meteoric rise). Khaira's edges and turning need work, for sure.
Having David on the team as a skating coach imo makes me worry less about our slower skaters.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
I have noticed a lot of good things from this guy as an Oiler. He seems to fit in well on every line they put him on. Pleasantly surprised.

Same with Purcell, I didn't see him last year because I wasn't wtching any games lol. I don't know if he's better than he was last year but I'm enjoying watching all these guys play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad