Prospect Info: Jujhar Khaira

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
What other BCHL teams have developed NHLers tho? Benn is a BCHLer, who else in the NHL comes from the BCHL? It seems like a lower tier league like the AJHL (although BCHL teams are better)
Milan Lucic. Whom also didnt exactly put up stellar point totals

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There are quite a few guys who played in the BCHL in the NHL. In addition to the guys already mentioned you can add Justin Schultz, Kyle Turris, Scott Gomez, Shawn Horcoff, Willie Mitchell and Tanner Glass.

Some NHL'ers of the past who played in the BCHL: Brett Hull, Paul Kariya, Barry Beck, Barry Pederson, Bob Nystrom, Mark Recchi and of course Glenn Anderson.

Many kids who want to go the NCAA route will choose a league like the BCHL since if you play in the CHL you lose your NCAA eligibility.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Milan Lucic. Whom also didnt exactly put up stellar point totals

There are quite a few guys who played in the BCHL in the NHL. In addition to the guys already mentioned you can add Justin Schultz, Kyle Turris, Scott Gomez, Shawn Horcoff, Willie Mitchell and Tanner Glass.

Some NHL'ers of the past who played in the BCHL: Brett Hull, Paul Kariya, Barry Beck, Barry Pederson, Bob Nystrom, Mark Recchi and of course Glenn Anderson.

Many kids who want to go the NCAA route will choose a league like the BCHL since if you play in the CHL you lose your NCAA eligibility.

I was just inquiring about the claim Prince George has never developed an NHLer, and thats why Khaira wasnt picked higher, or will have issues in the future.

I was asking which BCHL team is a stand out at developing NHLers, as it seems the NHL'ers come from a wide variety of teams. And of all the people in the NHL, they all come from a wider time frame too. Says there is like 35 NHLers that came from BCHL teams in the past 15-20 years, that means each BCHL team produced probaly max 2 NHL players.

I think not many scouts go to the BCHL because the success rate is much lower than scouting in the CHL, or even in Sweden/Russia. So their resources are better spent elsewhere.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Penticton is probably the team that's developed the most NHLers.

Beau Bennett, Ryan Johansen, Zac Dalpe, Duncan Keith, Paul Kariya, Chuck Kobasew, Brendan Morrison, Tanner Glass, Ray Ferraro, Brett Hull, Joe Murphy and Andy Moog being the most notable.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Happy for Khaira. He adds size and strength down the middle, which we sorely lack in the bottom size with Lander and Letestu. Will be interesting to see if he can keep up with the pace at the NHL level, because from my viewings this season, he still looks a little bit slow.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Happy for Khaira. He adds size and strength down the middle, which we sorely lack in the bottom size with Lander and Letestu. Will be interesting to see if he can keep up with the pace at the NHL level, because from my viewings this season, he still looks a little bit slow.
You never know. Some players look better in the NHL then the AHL. I think he could be pretty good here. Fingers crossed.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
So Bakersfield started the season with Draisaitl, McRae, Yakimov, and Khaira. Now none of them are in their lineup. Brossoit, I hope you got a couple more shutouts in you man...

But anyways congrats to Khaira on the callup! :handclap:

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I've been a big Kharia supporter since day 1, glad to see him finally get his chance. The thing I like about him most, is his corner work in the offensive zone reminds me of Georges Laraque, in a good way. He can back himself in like a basketball player posting up. I would like to see him on the third line, getting a bit of PP time parked in front of the net for a screen. And if Kharia hits you, you are going to remember it, that kid is a moose.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I won't be surprised if he outperforms and of the trash we have in the bottom besides Hendricks. Khaira just has so skate hard and pick his nose and that's about what he needs to do to beat this bottom six.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I've been a big Kharia supporter since day 1, glad to see him finally get his chance. The thing I like about him most, is his corner work in the offensive zone reminds me of Georges Laraque, in a good way. He can back himself in like a basketball player posting up. I would like to see him on the third line, getting a bit of PP time parked in front of the net for a screen. And if Kharia hits you, you are going to remember it, that kid is a moose.

Khaira and Yakimov could be incredibly crucial down the road. Hoping one or them develops a good scoring touch.
I am really tired of talking about success in the future with this team. :(

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I would love Yakimov (or I suppose Khaira for that matter) to be our big, nasty 40 pt shut down C on the 3rd line. Problem is we have McD, Drai, and RNH - who moves?

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
For anyone that has watched him a lot in the minors this year how has his skating looked? I remember thinking he had very poor skating/very slow from when I saw him in juniors. Has it improved?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So Bakersfield started the season with Draisaitl, McRae, Yakimov, and Khaira. Now none of them are in their lineup. Brossoit, I hope you got a couple more shutouts in you man...

But anyways congrats to Khaira on the callup! :handclap:

You want him called up as well?? :naughty:

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I would love Yakimov (or I suppose Khaira for that matter) to be our big, nasty 40 pt shut down C on the 3rd line. Problem is we have McD, Drai, and RNH - who moves?

I think 40 points is way too much to expect out of either guy. Yakimov is slow, and Khaira doesn't seem to have the skill to score that much. I think I have higher hopes for Khaira though. I like the idea of Yakimov, it's just that he has so much work to do on his skating.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Penticton is probably the team that's developed the most NHLers.

Beau Bennett, Ryan Johansen, Zac Dalpe, Duncan Keith, Paul Kariya, Chuck Kobasew, Brendan Morrison, Tanner Glass, Ray Ferraro, Brett Hull, Joe Murphy and Andy Moog being the most notable.

What's the draw? Seems every year they have a very high end team.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The biggest red flag in his game (in my opinion) is skating and balance.

Haven't had a chance to watch him in OKC yet, so maybe he's addressed it over this season, but at the prospect camp this year, his balance was noticeably worse than most of the other prospects.

That said, everything else about his game is hugely promising to me. I'm thinking he'll wind up as 3/4 line guy in all likelihood, but there's some potential for him to become that nasty 2nd line center we've been looking for since forever.

We're getting rid of Drai already?

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
I was just inquiring about the claim Prince George has never developed an NHLer, and thats why Khaira wasnt picked higher, or will have issues in the future.

I was asking which BCHL team is a stand out at developing NHLers, as it seems the NHL'ers come from a wide variety of teams. And of all the people in the NHL, they all come from a wider time frame too. Says there is like 35 NHLers that came from BCHL teams in the past 15-20 years, that means each BCHL team produced probaly max 2 NHL players.

I think not many scouts go to the BCHL because the success rate is much lower than scouting in the CHL, or even in Sweden/Russia. So their resources are better spent elsewhere.

Even though this was a different era, Tony Twist played for the Spruce Kings.

What's the draw? Seems every year they have a very high end team.

Whats the draw? I take it you have never been there, go there (preferably in the summer) and you will see what the draw is, there are TONS of Albertans there in the summer, its my favorite vacation spot to go to, Skaha Lake is incerdible and the newer sports complex is beautiful. Even the drive between Kelowna and Penticton is gorgeous.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Liked his first game, but not expecting any points from him... ever.

Had stone hands from the AHL games I saw early in the season. His upside is Matt Hendricks.

EDIT: Doh.. just read the Cult of Hockey article and they compared him to Hendricks.... lol.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Liked his first game, but not expecting any points from him... ever.

Had stone hands from the AHL games I saw early in the season. His upside is Matt Hendricks.

EDIT: Doh.. just read the Cult of Hockey article and they compared him to Hendricks.... lol.

Fine by me. We need more players like Hendricks on our 4th line, and Khaira has more size on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad