GDT: Juego Siete: San Jose @ Colorado *Minus World* 9P ET / 7P MT

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
But creates others...like even worse defense.
Graves has been terrible this year, so he’s probably headed for the box anyways. Gilbert was fine in his 12 minutes, but the real value would be him and Kane sitting in the box instead of Girard being torpedoed into the end boards with 5 minutes left.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Effortless. The guy moves so fast and doesnt look like hes trying. Kinda like Eichel in that regard. When Girard, Makar and Mackinnon are skating its very noticeable. Mackinnon looks like a Jaguar hunting down its prey when hes in open ice. Power, grace and speed.

MacK skates like he has skate blades on joints, sometimes it seems like he can even skate sideways, perpendiculary to the forward direction :)

Anyway, good game, i actually watched this one, till almost 6AM :-O But it was worth it. BTW, couple of pings again! Luckily did not matter this time around, i was worried when Kadri hit the crossbar in the beginning and then Donato scored, that it might be another Duck game.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
A couple great D plays I loved last night.

- Girard erasing a 2-on-1 opportunity by closing off a passing lane.

- Makar burying a Sharks forward in transition in the slot to stop a Sharks scoring chance.

Anyone have the clips of these ones? Great to see the D core growing on both ends of the ice.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
A couple great D plays I loved last night.

- Girard erasing a 2-on-1 opportunity by closing off a passing lane.

- Makar burying a Sharks forward in transition in the slot to stop a Sharks scoring chance.

Anyone have the clips of these ones? Great to see the D core growing on both ends of the ice.
This is the Girard one

IndelibleDismalAcaciarat-size_restricted.gif

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
So how we feelin about Donskoi today? I keep hearing that he doesn't do anything, and I keep seeing him go to exactly where he needs to go to put the puck in the net

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So how we feelin about Donskoi today? I keep hearing that he doesn't do anything, and I keep seeing him go to exactly where he needs to go to put the puck in the net
He’s fine at that. But it doesn’t change the fact that he isn’t really great at anything except skating fast and being productive for 20% of a season.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I mean even if the one thing he does every few games is go to the net and get a scoring touch on a shot, that's valuable

I'm not in love with the player but there's been way more glaring black holes out there this season

Reactions: McMetal

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I mean even if the one thing he does every few games is go to the net and get a scoring touch on a shot, that's valuable

I'm not in love with the player but there's been way more glaring black holes out there this season

Not 3.9m valuable.

Dong is a classic good player on a bad team, but bad player on a good team sort. On a rebuilding team that needs depth or a team looking to go from outside the playoffs to in the playoffs... he's a great piece for those situation. On a contending team, you want nothing to do with him. I wouldn't say he is the top issue for the team... but he somewhere in that top 3-5 range.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Not 3.9m valuable.

Dong is a classic good player on a bad team, but bad player on a good team sort. On a rebuilding team that needs depth or a team looking to go from outside the playoffs to in the playoffs... he's a great piece for those situation. On a contending team, you want nothing to do with him. I wouldn't say he is the top issue for the team... but he somewhere in that top 3-5 range.

That's how he's playing now, but I wouldn't put him in the PAP territory. We unfortunately might've seen Donskoi's peak, but he was a good player on the Sharks (with a few bad times sprinkled in) and was more good than bad last season. It's just unfortunate he's gaining this rep - which at this point is deserved, but I still don't believe it's completely his fault. Plenty of players are never the same after suffering 2 concussions.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I just hate his d zone turnovers especially the ones that are right at our blue line. Hes scoring which takes some heat off but Hench said it best. Good player on bad team but not the type you want on a good team at the money hes getting paid. If Joe can sell high on him to get a Andrew Copp type you do it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That's how he's playing now, but I wouldn't put him in the PAP territory. We unfortunately might've seen Donskoi's peak, but he was a good player on the Sharks (with a few bad times sprinkled in) and was more good than bad last season. It's just unfortunate he's gaining this rep - which at this point is deserved, but I still don't believe it's completely his fault. Plenty of players are never the same after suffering 2 concussions.
I think the thing is that he hasn’t been much different than usual even after the concussions. This is just the kind of player he is.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013

He's definitely decent, I'm just not sure he's worth $3.9m, or even $3mil at this point. Nichushkin does exactly what we need Donskoi to do, and better, for a lot cheaper. Hell, even Jost is the better player right now.

The real issue for me right now if Compher. I won't say he's terrible, because I think he's a better winger, and not suited for centre, but he needs to be better. He's on red alert right now imo, he could be traded.

Reactions: shadow1

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
With the flat cap I don’t really see Compher as moveable. Donskoi might be moveable, but only for a similar contract.

Graves, we do have to put the guy in a position to succeed. He’s not a shutdown player. Maybe we need to put Byram with EJ and Graves with Girard. Then give Bo some extra shifts up the lineup and on the PP to get him more minutes than EJ should be playing. If we can get Graves playing well, we can put move him for a player that suits our needs more or get Seattle to take him. If we put him in a position to fail, we wind up with with a 7th dman making 3 mil

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Donskoi put up 4 points in 20 games after the first concussion. He was always a streaky player, but his play was noticeably different after coming back.
I mean his last season with the Sharks he had 5 in his last 35 or something. The streakiness isn’t new and I just don’t see much of a difference between what I saw with him in SJ than I have here.

Reactions: henchman21

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Some thoughts for tonight.

1. Hello depth. That was fun. Tonight was the entire team pulling together. Its always nice to kick in the sharks teeth and even nicer that it wasnt just the top line figuring in on the scoring. I know every line isnt going to figure in on the scoring every night but if every other line does every night we should be ok.

2. Burakovsky is so important. I wish Joe would have signed him to a longer deal because I think that guy is only beginning to really hit his stride. Hes made it a point to shoot more and its noticeable. Guy might have the second best shot off the rush on this team. The Avs had a question on the second line. The Answer is Burakovsky. It was great to see that line start developing some much needed chemistry. Props to both Kadri and Saad also who had strong games. Kadri got robbed in that bumper spot on the PP by Dubs and hit a crossbar in the first. Its goin to eventually come around if he continues to move his feet the way he was tonight.

3. I thought it would be hard to single someone out for playing a shitty game in a 7-3 blowout but Ryan Graves managed to do that. He got called out by his coach today and rightfully so. There is no room for error when you have other kids chomping at the bits to get some ice. Graves had an abysmal game which led to the scratch and he followed it up with an almost equally shit game. Whats he doing pinching up like that on that second sharks goal? There was no reason for it. This is the same shit Zadorov would do and get benched. I wouldnt be surprised if he got scratched next game.

4. Cale Makar had a quiet 3 assists tonight and is leading all dman in points...and I thought he was good Not great but good. . I thought he was fantastic with the puck but damn hes gotta be a little more engaged on the defensive side of the puck. I didnt like his lack of contact on that Donato goal but I loved his pass on Saads first goal. I didnt like his drop pass to Sherwood when he had a clear look at the net but I loved that he bodied another person in the neutral zone. Still plenty of room to improve but hes trending in the right direction these last 2-3 games.

5. Compher was shit for 55 minutes tonight and then he started being an asshole towards the sharks. Thats what he needs to do more of. Brendan Gallagher is a total asshole every game regardless of the score. Thats the kind of pestiness JTC needs to play with. He obviously needs to score some goals eventually but if you aint scoring you gotta be doing something. I liked that he was in the middle of these scrums.

6. Evander Kane, Devan Dubnyk both equal pieces of shit.

7. Bowen Byram leading the dman in ice time lol I legeit did not know he was playing so much until @Avs_19 brought it up and by the time the game got out of reach they rested the big boys and played him a bunch more. His skating is so impressive. There was a shift where he turned the puck over a few times but I didnt notice another mistake after that. Maybe the Couture goal? Gotta watch that again but IIRC he was behind Couture on that goal. Either way 4 games in and hes doing stuff.

8. Mikko is red hot. Even if you take away the goals Mikko has been phenomenal. His skating, tenacity, hunting for pucks, board play has all been impressive. He mentioned health being one of the factors to his start post game. Makes you wonder what he might have been dealing with besides that one injury early in the season. A healthy Mikko a few years ago was a problem and thats exactly what he looks like again. Honestly, through 7 games I think hes been our best player and yes better than Nathan which is saying alot.

9. Strong game from Tyson Jost again. He is definitely skating alot better this season. Nice play on the button hook to find Girard breaking into the zone for the goal. Still wish he would use shorter stick but whatcha going to do.

10. The Avs have to keep this going into Thursday and start to get a little separation before Minnesota. Sharks undoubtedly will be hungry to avenge this loss so the Avs have to have their A game if they want to take anotther two. If the Avs play the way they did tonight that shouldnt be a problem.
Excellent write up/analysis. To me by far the biggest takeaway from last night’s game was Bura’s importance to this team/lineup. Although he’s the sniper, he’s the engine of that 2nd line and what really sets the table for us for the whole bottom 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad