GDT: Juego Siete: San Jose @ Colorado *Minus World* 9P ET / 7P MT

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Did he single someone out like he did Graves though? I know he said he talked to Saad and Kadri privately but this is the first time i've heard him more or less call out a player post game.

I wonder if Graves is not liking his new role as a bottom pair Dman? He has been taken over by a rookie (Byram) and a guy we traded for (Toews) after playing some big minutes last year.

He may be like Z last year. When elevated both guys played well. But the fact is that Graves has not been good this year. Not playing with Makar would do that to anyone but Johnson is still playing hard on the bottom pair.

Maybe we would be better off going with a Timmins / Johnson bottom pair? But what will happen to Graves when he is sitting in the press box?

This is quite the predicament especially with him and his $3.16 million dollar contract for the next 2 seasons.

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
I wonder if Graves is not liking his new role as a bottom pair Dman? He has been taken over by a rookie (Byram) and a guy we traded for (Toews) after playing some big minutes last year.

He may be like Z last year. When elevated both guys played well. But the fact is that Graves has not been good this year. Not playing with Makar would do that to anyone but Johnson is still playing hard on the bottom pair.

Maybe we would be better off going with a Timmins / Johnson bottom pair? But what will happen to Graves when he is sitting in the press box?

This is quite the predicament especially with him and his $3.16 million dollar contract for the next 2 seasons.
Graves sucked tonight but I don't think it would help if he was scratched the next game. Would be better if has a chance to immediately work on his mistakes from the last game.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Evander Kane's line with an absolutely brutal game tonight. No wonder he was frustrated by the end of the game:

upload_2021-1-27_6-6-27.png

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Some thoughts for tonight.

1. Hello depth. That was fun. Tonight was the entire team pulling together. Its always nice to kick in the sharks teeth and even nicer that it wasnt just the top line figuring in on the scoring. I know every line isnt going to figure in on the scoring every night but if every other line does every night we should be ok.

2. Burakovsky is so important. I wish Joe would have signed him to a longer deal because I think that guy is only beginning to really hit his stride. Hes made it a point to shoot more and its noticeable. Guy might have the second best shot off the rush on this team. The Avs had a question on the second line. The Answer is Burakovsky. It was great to see that line start developing some much needed chemistry. Props to both Kadri and Saad also who had strong games. Kadri got robbed in that bumper spot on the PP by Dubs and hit a crossbar in the first. Its goin to eventually come around if he continues to move his feet the way he was tonight.

3. I thought it would be hard to single someone out for playing a shitty game in a 7-3 blowout but Ryan Graves managed to do that. He got called out by his coach today and rightfully so. There is no room for error when you have other kids chomping at the bits to get some ice. Graves had an abysmal game which led to the scratch and he followed it up with an almost equally shit game. Whats he doing pinching up like that on that second sharks goal? There was no reason for it. This is the same shit Zadorov would do and get benched. I wouldnt be surprised if he got scratched next game.

4. Cale Makar had a quiet 3 assists tonight and is leading all dman in points...and I thought he was good Not great but good. . I thought he was fantastic with the puck but damn hes gotta be a little more engaged on the defensive side of the puck. I didnt like his lack of contact on that Donato goal but I loved his pass on Saads first goal. I didnt like his drop pass to Sherwood when he had a clear look at the net but I loved that he bodied another person in the neutral zone. Still plenty of room to improve but hes trending in the right direction these last 2-3 games.

5. Compher was shit for 55 minutes tonight and then he started being an asshole towards the sharks. Thats what he needs to do more of. Brendan Gallagher is a total asshole every game regardless of the score. Thats the kind of pestiness JTC needs to play with. He obviously needs to score some goals eventually but if you aint scoring you gotta be doing something. I liked that he was in the middle of these scrums.

6. Evander Kane, Devan Dubnyk both equal pieces of shit.

7. Bowen Byram leading the dman in ice time lol I legeit did not know he was playing so much until @Avs_19 brought it up and by the time the game got out of reach they rested the big boys and played him a bunch more. His skating is so impressive. There was a shift where he turned the puck over a few times but I didnt notice another mistake after that. Maybe the Couture goal? Gotta watch that again but IIRC he was behind Couture on that goal. Either way 4 games in and hes doing stuff.

8. Mikko is red hot. Even if you take away the goals Mikko has been phenomenal. His skating, tenacity, hunting for pucks, board play has all been impressive. He mentioned health being one of the factors to his start post game. Makes you wonder what he might have been dealing with besides that one injury early in the season. A healthy Mikko a few years ago was a problem and thats exactly what he looks like again. Honestly, through 7 games I think hes been our best player and yes better than Nathan which is saying alot.

9. Strong game from Tyson Jost again. He is definitely skating alot better this season. Nice play on the button hook to find Girard breaking into the zone for the goal. Still wish he would use shorter stick but whatcha going to do.

10. The Avs have to keep this going into Thursday and start to get a little separation before Minnesota. Sharks undoubtedly will be hungry to avenge this loss so the Avs have to have their A game if they want to take anotther two. If the Avs play the way they did tonight that shouldnt be a problem.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

If thats the case tough shit. Its not about him its about the team. You play whatever role the coach asks you to play and you do the best you can. Thats what being a pro is. If he doesnt like it im sure Connor Timmins will gladly take that spot from him and play whatever role Jared asks him to play. Graves "skillset" is suited for the role the Avs have him in right now. Supposed to solid in his own end, kill penalties, good in the corners and score the occasional goal. Thats not a hard ask imo considering Graves isnt Cale, Devon, Sam or Bowen in terms of puck skill. He needs to simplify his game and realize he doesnt have Cale Makar cleaning up his mess like Cale was doing last year at times.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Some thoughts for tonight.

1. Hello depth. That was fun. Tonight was the entire team pulling together. Its always nice to kick in the sharks teeth and even nicer that it wasnt just the top line figuring in on the scoring. I know every line isnt going to figure in on the scoring every night but if every other line does every night we should be ok.

2. Burakovsky is so important. I wish Joe would have signed him to a longer deal because I think that guy is only beginning to really hit his stride. Hes made it a point to shoot more and its noticeable. Guy might have the second best shot off the rush on this team. The Avs had a question on the second line. The Answer is Burakovsky. It was great to see that line start developing some much needed chemistry. Props to both Kadri and Saad also who had strong games. Kadri got robbed in that bumper spot on the PP by Dubs and hit a crossbar in the first. Its goin to eventually come around if he continues to move his feet the way he was tonight.

3. I thought it would be hard to single someone out for playing a shitty game in a 7-3 blowout but Ryan Graves managed to do that. He got called out by his coach today and rightfully so. There is no room for error when you have other kids chomping at the bits to get some ice. Graves had an abysmal game which led to the scratch and he followed it up with an almost equally shit game. Whats he doing pinching up like that on that second sharks goal? There was no reason for it. This is the same shit Zadorov would do and get benched. I wouldnt be surprised if he got scratched next game.

4. Cale Makar had a quiet 3 assists tonight and is leading all dman in points...and I thought he was good Not great but good. . I thought he was fantastic with the puck but damn hes gotta be a little more engaged on the defensive side of the puck. I didnt like his lack of contact on that Donato goal but I loved his pass on Saads first goal. I didnt like his drop pass to Sherwood when he had a clear look at the net but I loved that he bodied another person in the neutral zone. Still plenty of room to improve but hes trending in the right direction these last 2-3 games.

5. Compher was shit for 55 minutes tonight and then he started being an asshole towards the sharks. Thats what he needs to do more of. Brendan Gallagher is a total asshole every game regardless of the score. Thats the kind of pestiness JTC needs to play with. He obviously needs to score some goals eventually but if you aint scoring you gotta be doing something. I liked that he was in the middle of these scrums.

6. Evander Kane, Devan Dubnyk both equal pieces of shit.

7. Bowen Byram leading the dman in ice time lol I legeit did not know he was playing so much until @Avs_19 brought it up and by the time the game got out of reach they rested the big boys and played him a bunch more. His skating is so impressive. There was a shift where he turned the puck over a few times but I didnt notice another mistake after that. Maybe the Couture goal? Gotta watch that again but IIRC he was behind Couture on that goal. Either way 4 games in and hes doing stuff.

8. Mikko is red hot. Even if you take away the goals Mikko has been phenomenal. His skating, tenacity, hunting for pucks, board play has all been impressive. He mentioned health being one of the factors to his start post game. Makes you wonder what he might have been dealing with besides that one injury early in the season. A healthy Mikko a few years ago was a problem and thats exactly what he looks like again. Honestly, through 7 games I think hes been our best player and yes better than Nathan which is saying alot.

9. Strong game from Tyson Jost again. He is definitely skating alot better this season. Nice play on the button hook to find Girard breaking into the zone for the goal. Still wish he would use shorter stick but whatcha going to do.

10. The Avs have to keep this going into Thursday and start to get a little separation before Minnesota. Sharks undoubtedly will be hungry to avenge this loss so the Avs have to have their A game if they want to take anotther two. If the Avs play the way they did tonight that shouldnt be a problem.

Agree on Bo’s skating. If it’s not as good as Makar/Girard, it’s very close. He covers so much ground, so quickly with his crossovers. They all just skate a little bit differently, but Byram is incredibly fluid. He’ll have some blunders along the way, but the Avs have a real monstrous top-4 forming.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Agree on Bo’s skating. If it’s not as good as Makar/Girard, it’s very close. He covers so much ground, so quickly with his crossovers. They all just skate a little bit differently, but Byram is incredibly fluid. He’ll have some blunders along the way, but the Avs have a real monstrous top-4 forming.
Effortless. The guy moves so fast and doesnt look like hes trying. Kinda like Eichel in that regard. When Girard, Makar and Mackinnon are skating its very noticeable. Mackinnon looks like a Jaguar hunting down its prey when hes in open ice. Power, grace and speed.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Effortless. The guy moves so fast and doesnt look like hes trying. Kinda like Eichel in that regard. When Girard, Makar and Mackinnon are skating its very noticeable. Mackinnon looks like a Jaguar hunting down its prey when hes in open ice. Power, grace and speed.

A lot of what he does is with ease, honestly. It’s not all perfect right now, but Button was pretty much spot on with his draft analysis, saying the game unfolds easily around him.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Did Landy have the guys ready?
Bednar certainly had the 2nd line ready, they started the game really well. Kadri pinged the crossbar, and that line looked much more cohesive.

As for Landeskog, yeah team was good after a lull for the first 5 minutes.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
What a game. Really the only downsides were Graves #BringBacKTimmy and Compher for like 90% of the match. I thiught the latter ended the game on a semi strong note. Jost... Well Jost has been good honestly. I'm really impressed with his play this far and think that he might just carve himself a useful role on this team yet if he keeps it up. Rants had a phenomenal game and Byram with most TOI. Great game. On to the next, you know the Sharks are going to be super motivated to avenge this loss.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I miss the days when people like "Evander Kane" and "Donato" would simply have been killed for the things they were doing in this game.

I also know that one day I won't get to see us play Devan Dubnyk and I'm pre-emptively missing those already.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad