Prospect Info: Judd Caulfield (5th round, #145 overall, 2019)

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
for the love of god.....just because you are over 6 foot it doesn't mean you are a Power Forward
I mean even the organization labelled them as power forwards, but ok.

Those first three picks - Samuel Poulin, first round, 21st overall; Nathan Legare, third round, 74th overall; Judd Caulfield, fifth round, 145th overall - have many similarities. All three men are power forwards.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m sure he’ll be just another non-factor player.

JR is trying to build a team to combat Tom Wilson.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Dummy thicc thunda thighs, ass so phat you can see it from the front.

Dummy+thicc_155b4c_6982504.gif

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Before JR leaves here he is going to find a way to bully opponents and ensure Sid and Geno don't take a beating. With size comes safety. A big guy in the bottom 6 is still valuable. A small guy in the bottom 6 could be a waste.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Wilson will be largely irrelevant by time these guys make it to the NHL.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009

There’s a lot of grit and grind in the playoffs.
Pretty much like every year.

Although it was easy to miss if you only watched the pens/isles series. Especially with the team in black and gold

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Watched the U18 final game against Russia but it was hard to get a good read on him. They rode their top 2 lines heavily, and when he did play it wasn't in offensive opportunities or with skilled linemates. He moves well for a big guy, positioning all over the ice was near perfect, took smart routes on the forecheck and he looked decent on the PK. Reminded me of Angello when he was a freshman, maybe even a bit like Sundqvist when he was ganglier. Probably why he fell in the draft really, he's at the USNTDP for a reason but the 2001 class is so loaded that he just gets lost in the depth a bit. UND looks to be in need of some offense so maybe he can wiggle his way into a top 6 role early and get some confidence in his offensive abilities.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
There’s a lot of grit and grind in the playoffs.
Pretty much like every year.

Although it was easy to miss if you only watched the pens/isles series. Especially with the team in black and gold
The pendulum will swing back to speed and skill way before any of these jabronis sniff an NHL game.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh

Caulfield is way more than size. Kid can really skate. I've enjoyed watching him. Problem is his role on the USNTDP program was that of a bottom six penalty killer.

Watch how he blossoms at North Dakota with more ice time. He's going to have a chance to step out of the shadow of his national team counterparts and forge a little path of his own.

I'm pretty excited about this pick. Getting him late was great value. I had Caulfield inside my top 100.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Caulfield is way more than size. Kid can really skate. I've enjoyed watching him. Problem is his role on the USNTDP program was that of a bottom six penalty killer.

Watch how he blossoms at North Dakota with more ice time. He's going to have a chance to step out of the shadow of his national team counterparts and forge a little path of his own.

I'm pretty excited about this pick. Getting him late was great value. I had Caulfield inside my top 100.

That seems to be the running theme with the Penguins top-3 picks (especially Caufield and Legare) in this draft, they were projected to be taken much higher by the analytics crowd than they were taken by the Penguins.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
That seems to be the running theme with the Penguins top-3 picks (especially Caufield and Legare) in this draft, they were projected to be taken much higher by the analytics crowd than they were taken by the Penguins.

I'll reference the work of people like Manny, Prashanth, and others when projecting picks, but I don't use a lot of analytics in my personal ranking. In part because mostly I am not good at creating models that project future WAR, etc. I'm not on that level. I would argue that my yearly ranking is about 90% raw scouting and 10% analytics.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I know nothing of this guy. In only disappointed because I was sure we were gonna pick Moynihan

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
The pendulum will swing back to speed and skill way before any of these jabronis sniff an NHL game.

Been hearing that since the 90’s.

30 years later, there’s still plenty of grit needed for playoffs.
And just because they have grit/ a big compete level doesn’t mean they don’t have speed or skill

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think there is a pendulum. I think there are merely multiple ways to win. The rules aren’t any different than they were 2 years ago.

And it’s not like, even supposing these guys develop into solid NHL hockey players (somehow though without improving their skating) that they’re going to drastically alter the team identity. It’s just 2 guys. In 3 years time we’ll probably still have Sid, Guentzel, Rust, McCann, Letang, and maybe even Addison, Hallander, Almeida and/or Bellerive mixed in.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I don't feel like either of these players will ever be real difference makers in any way, but I don't think I like it. Caufiled has size and was playing well in the NCAA. Nickl has a nice toolbox in the mold of a modern defensive defenseman, but is 21 and only playing in the HAS? I feel like this move is trading down from possible potential to meh potential.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't feel like either of these players will ever be real difference makers in any way, but I don't think I like it. Caufiled has size and was playing well in the NCAA. Nickl has a nice toolbox in the mold of a modern defensive defenseman, but is 21 and only playing in the HAS? I feel like this move is trading down from possible potential to meh potential.

I think they did this because he indicated he wasn’t going to sign with us…might as well get something back in return if that’s the case

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Ducks drafted this player 4th and he is at least a prospect that is a RH d man with decent size. Hopefully this is Hextalls parting deal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Caulfield was reportedly going to commit for another year which means he would’ve gone UFA anyway.

Reactions: Giskard and Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad