JT vs. Mats Sundin

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
2 big franchise centres drafted first overall exactly 20 years apart (pretty much a generation). Mats Sundin was just finishing his career when JT was drafted. Both were captains of NHL teams. Both have excellent goal scoring skills, very good playmakers. Both make players around them better. Who would you take on your team in their prime? JT really reminded me a lot of Sundin the way he can score goals as a centreman, particularly.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Honestly, I love jt... but I take sundin 100 times out of 100. The guy shifted the ice every time he was on. He never had wingers the likes of marner (save mogilny* sp? for those 2 yrs) and he carried the team every year. Plus the consistency, an absolute lock for 70+ pts every single year like clockwork. This coming when it was clutch and grab and most of his career was when the offence couldn't get stretched as much due to 2 line passes still being a thing.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Honestly, I love jt... but I take sundin 100 times out of 100. The guy shifted the ice every time he was on. He never had wingers the likes of marner (save mogilny* sp? for those 2 yrs) and he carried the team every year. Plus the consistency, an absolute lock for 70+ pts every single year like clockwork. This coming when it was clutch and grab and most of his career was when the offence couldn't get stretched as much due to 2 line passes still being a thing.

I am a huge Mats Sundin fan. He is still my favourite player.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Very slight nod to Sundin. Makes for a tough comparison with the two careers not having any overlap (as noted). Not out of the realm of possibility that we haven't quite seen Tavares' best yet, which would be remarkable considering his career year coming in his first season with the team. Both drafted 1st overall as well, and hopefully Tavares joins Sundin in the HOF one day. Tavares was the "free" acquisition for the Leafs, but Sundin was acquired at a considerably enough younger age.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Sundin. Just imagine him with a winger like Marner.
I take Sundin too but the two are very comparable. Both made their wingers significantly better for theit entire careers basically.

I feel like a lot of people still have a scewed view of Marner. Tavares is the one that carried him. not the other way around. It's not a coincedence that Hyman and Marner both had career years playing with JT.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
2 big franchise centres drafted first overall exactly 20 years apart (pretty much a generation). Mats Sundin was just finishing his career when JT was drafted. Both were captains of NHL teams. Both have excellent goal scoring skills, very good playmakers. Both make players around them better. Who would you take on your team in their prime? JT really reminded me a lot of Sundin the way he can score goals as a centreman, particularly.

I would need at least one more year to comment. This could have been a career year for JT or a slightly off one. His first season with a Marner caliber player can make hi look good even if he was capable of more. Comparing today, Mats for sure but in two years it may not look that way.

REM17

Jul 21, 2010
Switzerland

And non of them has won a dam thing...

In 50 years maybe.... :laugh::laugh:

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
This is Mats quite easily for me. His size and skill, and was just dominant. I would love to have seen prime Mats in this era and with this team, which he never really had the luxury of excluding 2002/2003. But let's also give Tavares some more time to form a legacy here. It's amazing that we looked and tried so hard to find an elite #1 Center to take Mats spot since he left, and now we have 2. Both of which are in their 20s.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I am going with JT on this. It's close, but JT. The two are amazing comparables but JT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad