Recalled/Assigned: JT Miller

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Torts made it seem like he is anger management :laugh:

Like Dubinsky gatorade throw in the middle of a conversation about skate sharpening routines.

We haven't seen nearly as much of "dog housing" or "Torts Boyle-ing" this year from AV but AV is well documented for dog housing certain players. It seems like our current team is all on his good side.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well, I didn't catch the RFA part and thought he's older :laugh:, my bad, but if we're bringing in a ~2C this off season to replace Richards, he's going to have to hop over someone. He doesn't quite play nearly as well on the wing. It's working out, I was speaking to the fact that he might be getting tired of all the call ups and down and ups and downs.

Got it.

If he's tired of the frequent transactions, tough ****. That's the nature of things for most prospects. He can talk to Kreider about it, who by all evidence seems to be doing fine developmentally.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Complete conjecture and fanning the fire here but combining a few things

1) Anger and personality traits and style similar to Kesler
2) Kesler's strained relationship with AV
3) Millers constant ups and downs

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Complete conjecture and fanning the fire here but combining a few things

1) Anger and personality traits and style similar to Kesler
2) Kesler's strained relationship with AV
3) Millers constant ups and downs
Difference is Kesler is a proven player an olympic player. Also the up and down has happeed mostly ebcause of injuries especially early in the year. I agree they should ahve just left him in hartford until next season but it happens

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I had assumed Miller was demoted because he still has defensive deficiencies to work out, which is what AV alluded to after the Calgary game and Micheletti mentioned something about this as well. The attitude stuff seems like pure speculation.

Un Prophete

I had assumed Miller was demoted because he still has defensive deficiencies to work out, which is what AV alluded to after the Calgary game and Micheletti mentioned something about this as well. The attitude stuff seems like pure speculation.

Certainly, you're right. But I think it's pretty clear to see even from interviews that Miller has a bit of a ... chip on his shoulder. Which as a professional athlete can be of great benefit, but can also rub people the wrong way. Sort of like how Torts seems to wear out his welcome within a few years wherever he goes.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
If we're talking about fire and unpredictability, obviously a touchy subject but Alex Burrows was AV's boy up there. The Devils are an obvious example, Torts himself - lots of coaches just prefer veterans when the margins are small. I don't think it's more complicated than that.

Miller also has a 3% on ice shot percentage, which is awful - things haven't been working out with him on the ice, lots of it is puck luck.

He's in a weird spot with the cap and the team construction for next year. Should be interesting.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Pack have three games this weekend. Miller will get playing time. Get in a practice today. The constant up and down is getting annoying. Miller played well in the first period in Calgary. According to AV,Miller didn't "execute properly" in the 2nd period. Miller wasn't the only one not to "execute properly" in that game. There are 2 weeks left in the AHL season. Finish the season strong and wait for an opportunity in the playoffs when the Rangers bring him up again.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Boy are a lot of people jumping to conclusions on this thread. Couldn't just be that a veteran coach has more trust in veteran players during a playoff push. Occam's razor, people.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Pack have three games this weekend. Miller will get playing time. Get in a practice today. The constant up and down is getting annoying. Miller played well in the first period in Calgary. According to AV,Miller didn't "execute properly" in the 2nd period. Miller wasn't the only one not to "execute properly" in that game. There are 2 weeks left in the AHL season. Finish the season strong and wait for an opportunity in the playoffs when the Rangers bring him up again.

I don't see the up-and-down as an issue. As I mentioned earlier, Miller is going to play in probably 75 games this season, 30 in the world's best league, 40-odd in the world's top developmental league. The yo-yo transaction cycle might be frustrating for him, but he's getting NHL experience, NHL exposure, and top minutes in the AHL. I don't see it as a developmental concern.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I'm pretty sure Miller is loving every single minute he gets to spend with the big club considering he earns 10x as much when he is on the NHL roster vs the AHL roster.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I love how a consensus was simultaneously established that Miller has attitude problems in a matter of hours. :laugh:

He's never had attitude issues, and I highly doubt he's in AV's doghouse for that reason. When he was a younger player he was very competitive and like any 17 year old he would let it get the best of him on the ice occasionally (think of a tamer Dubinsky in that regard). Since he has been drafted he's been nothing but a class act on the 4 teams he has been on. He's worn letters as well.

We're in a playoff push, and as much as people are looking ahead, we haven't locked anything up yet. At the same time Carcillo, Dorsett, Boyle and Moore are playing some of the best hockey of their careers. He's looked fine, but it's just a matter of trust at this point. He is 2 years younger than Kreider, and significantly further in his development at the same perspective stages.

Boy are a lot of people jumping to conclusions on this thread. Couldn't just be that a veteran coach has more trust in veteran players during a playoff push. Occam's razor, people.

Voices of reason.

This is nothing more than standard NHL (hell, standard pro sports) operating procedure with young players.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I dont think kreider is overrated by anyone. The kid hanst even reached his full potential yet. 37 points (17 goals) in 65 games is pretty good numbers for a rookie going up against most teams top defensive pairs. Also as somebody else emntioned kreider does more that doesnt show up on the scoresheet. His speed opens up space for his linemates like nash, his passing is very underrated IMO. he also is one of the leaders in hits. Like i said Kreider still has a lot of work to do especially on the defensive side. However considering this is really his first full year he did pretty good and will get better

Not overrated?

Some posters have taken his name. One poster has declared him the team MVP.

Stepan, Nash, and Hank have been shredded on this board, along with others, including Boyle. All four of those players have been more effective than Kreider this year.

Kreider seemingly has almost limitless tools, but has yet to become effective.

Nash and Stepan have thrived since Kreider went down.

I understand the hopes for Kreider. I have them, too, but so far he is overrated here.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Not overrated?

Some posters have taken his name. One poster has declared him the team MVP.

Stepan, Nash, and Hank have been shredded on this board, along with others, including Boyle. All four of those players have been more effective than Kreider this year.

Kreider seemingly has almost limitless tools, but has yet to become effective.

Nash and Stepan have thrived since Kreider went down.

I understand the hopes for Kreider. I have them, too, but so far he is overrated here.

Considering Stepan has something like 18 points in his last 16 games, and Kreider has missed, what, the last four of them, I would venture to guess that Kreider removal from the lineup is not directly leading Stepan suddenly thriving. But, hey, Kreider is apparently a burr under your saddle, so, contort the facts as you see fit to correlate to your viewpoint.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I haven't watched a pack game in a while, are they mirroring the Rangers defensive system?

I would like to think our minor league team is playing the same way; it would make the transition from the AHL to NHL easier. Defensively at least.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
what makes you say that?

AV just made a comment about Miller being sent down that he needs to "figure things out on and off the ice"

Lends some credence to the idea Miller did something that pissed AV off

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Haha, wow, well maybe that's what Miller needs. He has kind of struggled to be consistent and smart both at the NHL and AHL level. That said he's still just 20

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The Miller/Kreider dichotomy is pretty fascinating in the scope of Tortorella vs. Vigneault. Torts liked the cocky guy, Vigneault likes the vanilla guy.

Regardless, both of them need to work out for the Rangers to be successful going forward.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yeah because any of us (you included) could have predicted he was having off-ice issues which are probably the major problem here. :shakehead

Didnt realize that wasn't part of the equation when folks list a bunch of prospect names and declare they'll be ready for NHL action soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad