Friedman: JT Miller to get the Zibanejad contract?

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Zibanejad is a totally complete player in every sense. Is Miller that good in his own zone?

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Dollar value aside, I'm just not convinced Miller wants to be in Van long term. I would not be shocked at all to see him sign with an up and coming American team. I think he'd be a great fit on the Devils to be honest, although he may want someone more ready to compete.
If he signs with the Devils and they fix their goaltending issues, they're pretty ready to compete. Maybe just improve the blue line a little.

Devils are closer to competing than a lot of people give them credit for. They can score tons of goals at will.

Reactions: Szechwan

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
This is the exact type of player you don't pay. 3rd in PP points, tied for 41st in 5v5 points. Doesn't drive play 5v5. His point totals will inflate his cost far beyond his true value, to say nothing of the aging curve that will likely hit him hard. If I was a Canucks fan I would've wanted him dealt at the deadline, especially considering the prices guys were fetching.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
This is the exact type of player you don't pay. 3rd in PP points, tied for 41st in 5v5 points. Doesn't drive play 5v5. His point totals will inflate his cost far beyond his true value, to say nothing of the aging curve that will likely hit him hard. If I was a Canucks fan I would've wanted him dealt at the deadline.

If you were a canucks fan you'd be able to read beyond the stats. Well hopefully you would.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No his current contract expires after next season, not this one

The media really overplayed his contract status.
"ZOMG, soon it will be time to re-sign Miller. They better trade him while they still own his rights."
If Vancouver can fit him under the cap, they 100% have to keep him. Trading Boeser or Petterson before Miller is the right call imo.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
"ZOMG, soon it will be time to re-sign Miller. They better trade him while they still own his rights."
If Vancouver can fit him under the cap, they 100% have to keep him. Trading Boeser or Petterson before Miller is the right call imo.
Petterson over miller? That seems beyond short sighted. The canucks are an above average team, with an aging core. Keeping the guy whos turning 28 and moving the guy whos turning 23 seems counterintuitive to what the canucks should be doing.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Petterson over miller? That seems beyond short sighted. The canucks are an above average team, with an aging core. Keeping the guy whos turning 28 and moving the guy whos turning 23 seems counterintuitive to what the canucks should be doing.

If you were watching Sportsnet/TSN before the TDL, you'd be under the impression that the Canucks don't need Horvat or Miller, which is just insane to me. They are the 2 centers you build your team around.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
If you were watching Sportsnet/TSN before the TDL, you'd be under the impression that the Canucks don't need Boeser or Miller, which is just insane to me. They are the 2 centers you build your team around.
I mean don’t you build a team around mid 20’s guys not late 20’s guys?

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
The Canucks are a mediocre team who were only in the playoff hunt because of insane goaltending. Take away Demko, and they look more like the Flyers. The Canucks are never going to contend until they find a way to dump OEL and Myers and replace them with top-pair D with actual upside potential.

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
^^how does that favour building around a soon to be 30 year old who's clearly having a career year?

Vancouver does hold the cards somewhat here obviously, but at the same time, Miller is probably gonna push them to get an extension done this summer given that his value will never be higher. Of course, the team knows that as well. These extensions signed at the earliest possible time can really end up backfiring, but if Vancouver plays their leverage well, they should be able to get him to sign a deal significantly cheaper than Zibanejad's. Security for upside trade financially.

Wether they should is another question- in a vacuum, the end of Miller's prime is worth more to an all-in contender than what the Canucks are right now. But patience in Vancouver is understandably wearing thin.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I mean don’t you build a team around mid 20’s guys not late 20’s guys?

Not just any guys in their mid 20's. Horvat and Miller have much more qualities of players you build teams around. They're the kind of players that shouldn't be traded because they're so hard to trade for.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Horvat is a very good player and is definitely a piece you try and build around

If you're looking at the Canucks you are trying to build around
Miller
Horvat
Petey
Hughes
Demko
Horvat is a good player. He’s being overrated by the poster.

He’s claiming you trade Pettersson before Horvat—which is ridiculous.

Pettersson’s age fits the team’s timeline better, and he’s better both offensively and defensively than Horvat.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
You’re overrating Horvat.
He's got good offensive upside, he doesn't take games off and he's great in the defensive zone.
You're underrating Bo Horvat. He's built for the playoffs.

Horvat is a good player. He’s being overrated by the poster.

He’s claiming you trade Pettersson before Horvat—which is ridiculous.

Pettersson’s age fits the team’s timeline better, and he’s better both offensively and defensively than Horvat.

Yeah that's not very nice to talk about someone without quoting them.

Pettersson is injury prone and needs to get a lot stronger before he can carry Bo's jock strap. He's not even 180 pounds. Dude is a legit bone-rack.

Pettersson isn't even on the same level as Austin Matthews or Mitch Marner at this point in his career and look at how hard of a time Toronto has getting out of the first round of the playoffs. What on earth could convince a sane person that Pettersson would be more useful in a playoff run than Bo Horvat?

And what else are you BUILDING A TEAM for? Just to make it to the playoffs and win the presidents trophy?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Vancouver has to move Miller at the draft for the best available package. This team is not a contender and at best is 2/3 years away, at which point Miller will be 31/32 years old, with a large contract and likely trending down.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008

Your takes are.... interesting

Pettersson has outscored Horvat 2 out of the last 3 years and is pacing to do so again (despite the slow start). Arguably would have last year as well but got hurt. The difference in offensive upside is night and day. Pettersson also outscored Horvat in the one playoff run they shared, and is probably the better defensive player too. The only real things Horvat has over him is he's better on draws and is quite durable.

Don't get me wrong, Horvat is great in his own right but it seems like you dislike Pettersson just because he's skinny and (supposedly) injury prone. The latter part is debatable too - he got a bit banged up in his rookie year and had a major injury last year, while the other two years he's been pretty much healthy

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
He's got good offensive upside, he doesn't take games off and he's great in the defensive zone.
You're underrating Bo Horvat. He's built for the playoffs.

Yeah that's not very nice to talk about someone without quoting them.

Pettersson is injury prone and needs to get a lot stronger before he can carry Bo's jock strap. He's not even 180 pounds. Dude is a legit bone-rack.

Pettersson isn't even on the same level as Austin Matthews or Mitch Marner at this point in his career and look at how hard of a time Toronto has getting out of the first round of the playoffs. What on earth could convince a sane person that Pettersson would be more useful in a playoff run than Bo Horvat?

And what else are you BUILDING A TEAM for? Just to make it to the playoffs and win the presidents trophy?

I quoted you when I responded to you.

I disagree on most of your points.

The injury concerns are the only thing I’ll say is a point in Bo’s favour.

Bo is not great defensively. He’s average. Bo being this great 2-way player is a myth.

Pettersson is better in all other important facets of the game (including defensively).

He’s also 3.5 years younger, which aligns far better with the Canucks window than Horvat’s age—they’re not close to contending.

Petey showed pretty well the last time he was in the playoffs as well…

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad