Friedman: JT Miller to get the Zibanejad contract?

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
You don’t sign him until he repeats this seasons points and play.

If he slows down you add that in to the contract. Signing a player when they’re playing their best and have term left is not wise in this instance

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
I'd resign him in Vancouver if the term is 5 to 6 years.

8.5m for someone who will be 37/38 year by the end is kinda rough.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
JT Miller has been great for three straight seasons, but he is clearly peaking right now.
Which also likely means he's actually a bit of a late-bloomer.

I see him being this good for at least two more seasons, slight drop off for the next two. That's still four years of having an elite talent on your roster, from a guy that does absolutely everything you could expect a key player to do.

Blake Wheeler is a pretty decent comparable, and he's still a near-PPG player at 35.
I have no doubt JT Miller will be right there too - he might be an even more impactful player than Wheeler overall.

If we can somehow fit JT in on a "team-friendly" deal, then it needs to be done. If not, we need to get a haul of picks and prospects back to restock the cupboards. Either way, he's not going to be an anchor for whichever team he's playing for, longterm. Even a slightly overpaid 35 year-old JT Miller is the kind of scrappy, veteran-type player that teams win with.

Lots of good points, agree with most of them

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
You don’t sign him until he repeats this seasons points and play.

If he slows down you add that in to the contract. Signing a player when they’re playing their best and have term left is not wise in this instance
He's been roughly PPG for three straight seasons, and has only improved year over year.
Not advocating signing a 30-year old player to a 6-8 year contract... but he is a legitimate first-line winger in his prime. I'm just not sure Vancouver is close enough to win with him.

One thing's for certain... they're nowhere near close without him.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I hope so. Will be good for Van for 1-3 years, but is likely to age absolutely terribly after that.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
JT Miller is an outstanding player... today. He's probably got another 2-3 years of high level play in him. For a contender on the cusp, he could be the piece that pushes them over the top.

8.5M x 8Y is a recipe for absolute disaster for the Canucks that would set this franchise back for a decade.
I agree. Miller's a hell of a player, and a heartbeat player.

But for a team where we are at in our cycle, what makes sense is to turn him into a good young D, a 1st rounder, and hopefully another middle 6 quality prospect/young unproven player.

8 years of MIller at that money will not serve us.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Miller is hard to peg down. Using Zibanejad as a comparable, I’d say 8.75mil at 7 years is pretty close. I’d be trying to get him to sign for 9mil at 6 years, but that contract almost seems too good…

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Miller is hard to peg down. Using Zibanejad as a comparable, I’d say 8.75mil at 7 years is pretty close. I’d be trying to get him to sign for 9mil at 6 years, but that contract almost seems too good…
I think a realistic contract would be $8-8.5M for 6-7 years, although $5-6M is ideal.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He just turned 29, and 30 next yr on old contract. He should not get anywhere near an 8 yr contract. In 3 yrs you will regret it.
That's essentially NHL free agency, and most GM's know if it works out as much as they want in the first 3 years they probably have enough job security to survive the fall-out, and if it completely blows up it will be someone else's problem.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
That's essentially NHL free agency, and most GM's know if it works out as much as they want in the first 3 years they probably have enough job security to survive the fall-out, and if it completely blows up it will be someone else's problem.
8 years is basically a compromise between the player and the team, I think.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
This year is an outlier production-wise for this player.​
I would look to his career numbers and expect some regression to the mean.​
Most NHL forwards peak much earlier than this, and they don't usually exceed what they did in their early-to-mid 20's later in their careers.​
Sure, there can always be an exception but I don't know that I would bet so much money on it. You don't have to look to far to see large contracts given out a bit too late.​

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Most NHL forwards peak much earlier than this, and they don't usually exceed what they did in their early-to-mid 20's later in their careers.​
Sure, there can always be an exception but I don't know that I would bet so much money on it. You don't have to look to far to see large contracts given out a bit too late.​
That's why I say $5-6M for six to seven years is ideal.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

8.5M isn’t superstar money.
You want a top tier UFA? We are looking at 11-13million

The last 3 years for Miller
72 points in 69 games
46 in 53 games
80 points in 66 games.

That’s easily worth 8.5M and would be really good value.
If we let’s say in reality he’d be a versatile ppg player that can play any forward position& special teams.

The issue is/will be the term, at his age 6-8 year deals don’t look fun but Miller has the right to ask for it and someone will pay, someone always does

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
8.5M isn’t superstar money.
You want a top tier UFA? We are looking at 11-13million

The last 3 years for Miller
72 points in 69 games
46 in 53 games
80 points in 66 games.

That’s easily worth 8.5M and would be really good value.
If we let’s say in reality he’d be a versatile ppg player that can play any forward position& special teams.

The issue is/will be the term, at his age 6-8 year deals don’t look fun but Miller has the right to ask for it and someone will pay, someone always does
I'm sure he will get what's been reported.

I'm not so sure it's a good investment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad