Friedman: JT Miller to get the Zibanejad contract?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Seems fair. Similar caliber of player IMO. Nothing wrong with that for a 1C - but is Vancouver going to be the one to invest in that? The tweet doesn’t really say if that’s what JTM wants or something Vancouver is agreeable to?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Ooof, that is steep. I just don’t get why gms keep doing this to themselves. There is a good chance he might not be worth that contract for the whole duration of it. You’re not buying his best years, his best years may in fact been the last couple of seasons. Sometimes these guys have very short peaks. It is a gamble for sure.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
8.5mil for Miller isn’t bad at all, he’s on pace for 100 points heh. I’d hope we could get a reduced term, but that cap hit is just fine by me.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
JT Miller is an outstanding player... today. He's probably got another 2-3 years of high level play in him. For a contender on the cusp, he could be the piece that pushes them over the top.

8.5M x 8Y is a recipe for absolute disaster for the Canucks that would set this franchise back for a decade.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Ooof, that is steep. I just don’t get why gms keep doing this to themselves. There is a good chance he might not be worth that contract for the whole duration of it. You’re not buying his best years, his best years may in fact been the last couple of seasons. Sometimes these guys have very short peaks. It is a gamble for sure.
GMs don't always have the luxury of worrying about the back end of the contract. Odds are the GM will be gone long before that contract ends. If the player's remaining productive years align with the team's window, you take it and worry about the back end when it happens.

Miller will be 30 when his next contract begins, so he's definitely on the older side for that type of deal, which is no doubt why Vancouver explored trading him. Any team that signs him better believe he makes them a cup contender, then hope he can play well long enough for them to win one.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Never underestimate a GM's ability to burn his employer's money. Fools and their money and all that.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Nothing wrong with that figure, it's the term that will be the concerning part. He'll be 30 when he's on his next contract. If it's 4-5 years then it should be relatively fine. Any longer would be very risky.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
He will be 30 at the start of the next contract, I really hope Alvin and Rutherford dont Benning this up and sign JT into his mid-late 30s

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Because some other GM will do it. You lose the player if you say "Nope, we're not giving you that term". Some GM will take that chance and make their team better for the next 3 or so years while your team loses a player like JT. We can blame GM's for giving out these contracts but the players aren't signing for less. I think it'll be more like 7 years assuming they find a cap number Miller likes.

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
Nothing wrong with that figure, it's the term that will be the concerning part. He'll be 30 when he's on his next contract. If it's also 5 years like the Zibanejad contract then it should be relatively fine. Any longer would be very risky.
Zibanejad contract is 8 years and 68 million (60 mil in bonuses + 8 million salary). That is what Miller apparently wants, 60+ million in guaranteed money. Will he get that contract, probably not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad