Player Discussion JT Miller Thread

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think the disconnect is from the fact that JTM is obviously a very talented player, he had several very productive seasons that SHOULD buy him more rope with the fanbase. 6 bad games SHOULDN'T be a big deal as everybody goes through some dry spells, and the 6 losses ISN'T completely on him as it takes a team effort to be that bad.

HOWEVER, when the guy is a huge reason for the losses, turning over pucks and generally coasting out there, bringing attention to the fact that he was on for all 8 of the goals against to start the season, yet don't appear to be willing to take ownership of his play (the "I'm not going to change the way I play" quite), that's where I think most fans has issue with. Boeser has been just as bad but at least the guy LOOKS like he is trying out there and isn't giving picks away left and right. It's one thing for an offensive player to not put up points, it's another to just give up on plays.

PS: I think his inability to control or hide his frustration is a problem as well. Some people likes it and see it as "caring" and "he is an emotional leader", and when things are going well (either for the team or for him individually) it looks good. But I'm guessing that act wears thin with people when things aren't going well. I can't speak for his teammates but some fans that I talk to is starting to see it as unprofessional, out of control, not a good way to lead, etc.

I understand to a certain extent but also it's like, people should be used to it by now.

This is Miller's 4th season in Vancouver. He has been excellent for 95% of his time here, but once in a while he goes through one of these stretches for a few games. It might be frustrating, but it's not really a problem. He'll turn it around just like Demko will turn it around. I don't know if I've ever seen a player get less credit when he's playing well and who just won't get the smallest break from fans when he's not. But I understand it was the same in NYR as well.

A guy like Boeser that they just locked into 3 more years despite a bad year last year, who has started the season with 0 goals in 6 games and now has something like 60 goals in his last 200 games is a far bigger concern IMO.

Miller at worst will be PPG by the deadline and we can probably still deal him if we're out of the race. Boeser looks like he's going to be someone we need to trade a pick to dump in the off-season.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Miller Horvat Garland
Kuzmenko Pettersson Podkolzin
Mikheyev Aman Hoglander
Pearson Lazar Joshua

Is the way to go to stack the top 6 and balance the forwards without Boeser. This isnt rocket appliances

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The window to trade Miller was last year's TDL or early in the spring.....now with his contract extension, he's basically untradeable.

A new President, a new GM but the same old script in Lotusland. Canucks players fooled a lot of people with their stretch run in garbage time last season.

But a front office that really has the correct handle on its team, would have dealt both Miller and Boeser. This roster desperately needed a shakeup, with picks and prospects coming the other way.

But seems to me that so far, the Canucks have done exactly what Benning would have done in the same circumstances. Is it something in the water out here?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Miller is more comfortable at wing, him as a centre was terrible.

He’s been a C since he’s been a Canuck and had by far the two best seasons of his career.

It’s absolutely bizarre that this seems to be the consensus fan viewpoint here.

Miller finished 8th in NHL scoring last year driving excellent possession and goal differentials playing 100% as a C, and despite being chained to the abysmal Boeser most of the year.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He’s been a C since he’s been a Canuck and had by far the two best seasons of his career.

Miller finished 8th in NHL scoring last year driving excellent possession and goal differentials playing 100% as a C, and despite being chained to the abysmal Boeser most of the year.
All I can say is that I've grown to appreciate the work Brendan Morrison did on that WCE line. Underrated by many (include me in that!). Seemed to always to be stuck with "if only Bert & Nazzy had a true #1 C".

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Agreed, he had his best season by a country mile playing C..It seems absurd to say he's not good there 5 games into this semi train wreck.

I dont think that playing him on the wing is going to make any discernible difference right now..He's in a funk wherever he plays.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I understand to a certain extent but also it's like, people should be used to it by now.

This is Miller's 4th season in Vancouver. He has been excellent for 95% of his time here, but once in a while he goes through one of these stretches for a few games. It might be frustrating, but it's not really a problem. He'll turn it around just like Demko will turn it around. I don't know if I've ever seen a player get less credit when he's playing well and who just won't get the smallest break from fans when he's not. But I understand it was the same in NYR as well.

A guy like Boeser that they just locked into 3 more years despite a bad year last year, who has started the season with 0 goals in 6 games and now has something like 60 goals in his last 200 games is a far bigger concern IMO.

Miller at worst will be PPG by the deadline and we can probably still deal him if we're out of the race. Boeser looks like he's going to be someone we need to trade a pick to dump in the off-season.
I think part of it is the fanbase just loves effort. Some of the most popular players in club history are hard working guys like Smyl, Linden, Burrows, etc that aren't the most productive nor talented, but gives it their all on the ice. JTM just gives out the opposite vibe sometimes, it works against him with a section of the fans. The Bertuzzi comparison is a very good one in that sense.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think part of it is the fanbase just loves effort. Some of the most popular players in club history are hard working guys like Smyl, Linden, Burrows, etc that aren't the most productive nor talented, but gives it their all on the ice. JTM just gives out the opposite vibe sometimes, it works against him with a section of the fans. The Bertuzzi comparison is a very good one in that sense.

In some ways, but this fanbase loves the chronically lazy Boeser and refused to hear any criticism of Pettersson when he totally clocked out for 18 months.

I don't think Miller is 'lazy'. I think he gets frustrated easily and starts rushing/forcing plays when he isn't feeling it and then is a spaz when things aren't working out. He clearly gives a shit, but how he handles his and the team's struggles is problematic.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The reason BB might be playing Miller on the wing is purely to get him going, not because he's better at wing.

Millers had a tough start...why not give him good line mates to get him kick started...Boeser has had a tough start, and it's not making Miller play much better having Brock strapped to his wing, weighing him down.

Reactions: racerjoe and MarkMM

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Sure but it's also highly unlikely that he would return a first rounder in 4 years as the team trading for him will have his contract for 2 or 3 seasons after that at 8 million per.

So you were pretty much dead on in your first sentence.
The first is going with Miller out of town in that poster’s scenario.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
In some ways, but this fanbase loves the chronically lazy Boeser and refused to hear any criticism of Pettersson when he totally clocked out for 18 months.

I don't think Miller is 'lazy'. I think he gets frustrated easily and starts rushing/forcing plays when he isn't feeling it and then is a spaz when things aren't working out. He clearly gives a shit, but how he handles his and the team's struggles is problematic.
Is Boeser lazy or just slow? Plus with his personal life, most people cut him a lot of slack. I think he is still playing badly and his contract is problematic, but I find it hard to be too critical of him. I wouldn't be able to perform at work if I was faced with the same scenario, I'm sure.
Petey has an injury or was playing through one, but people were shredding him pretty good too, some even talk of trading him. He definitely didn't get a free pass.
I have seen Miller just gives up on plays, he had that "controller disconnected" moment against the Leafs a couple season back where Holtby looks like he was going to kill JTM. Lazy or just frustrated, I don't think it looks good on him either way. At least one teammate didn't appreciate it, but probably more, who knows? I'm sure there were other examples too.

Reactions: mossey3535

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
All I can say is that I've grown to appreciate the work Brendan Morrison did on that WCE line. Underrated by many (include me in that!). Seemed to always to be stuck with "if only Bert & Nazzy had a true #1 C".

Those things aren't necessarily exclusive.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
That line had the centre it needed. Bert and Nazzy didn’t want anyone else to pass to. 😆

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Trevor Linden was a very good hockey player. I think he gets remembered way more for his second stint here than his first.

Reactions: MarkMM

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't understand why JT Miller literally never gets the benefit of the doubt from people.

He had 99 points last year, but that somehow doesn't buy him one week of time when he gets off to a bad start the next season. He had a few bad games to start last year too, and it was the same thing, everyone screaming and calling him "bozo." It's weird. I really don't get why people are so eager to hate this player.

Brock Boeser, in contrast, has been completely terrible, and sucked for most of last season too, but people still give him the benefit of the doubt because he was good in like 2016. JT Miller could put up a hat trick 15 games in a row but the moment he plays two bad ones, people are frothing at the mouth. It's weird to me.

People. It's six games. Relax.

Boeser gets plenty of hate from almost everyone here.

Reactions: racerjoe

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Getting Miller back to wing at least reduces the impact of his brain-cramps in his own zone. And dropping Pearson to the fourth line was long overdue. He's been mostly terrible defensively since the start of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad