Player Discussion JT Miller Thread

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Miller’s performance is disrespectful he doesn’t even look game shape and he’s supposed to be one of the more prominent leaders. The most prominent to some fans.

Anyways , I don’t care if it’s bad look , trade this hidden foe before the NMC kicks in and save this franchise from a heartbreaking forced hand that’s inevitable with bad value contracts like his.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Send him to Abby. Yeah, he will still get his NHL money but at least he won't be an active detriment to the Canucks. Maybe he'll learn something from the experience. Doubtful, but there are no good choices left with this guy.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Miller’s performance is disrespectful he doesn’t even look game shape and he’s supposed to be one of the more prominent leaders. The most prominent to some fans.

Anyways , I don’t care if it’s bad look , trade this hidden foe before the NMC kicks in and save this franchise from a heartbreaking forced hand that’s inevitable with bad value contracts like his.

Who would want to add *him?

I'm sure he will play better than these first games, regain some value and MAYBE can be moved at the TDL.

Last edited:

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Who would want to add?

I'm sure he will play better than these first games, regain some value and MAYBE can be moved at the TDL.
Either way we need to get rid of him before the year.
Because if we do pick top5, good chance that players getting paid after ELC and Pettersson would already be paid by then.

And who the f*** knows what JT is thinking and if he would ever waive and who knows how negative his value becomes at that point in the future.
This contract can become negative very quick, say Miller doesn’t give the clown act up by trade deadline. Then we are really f***ed.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Because if we do pick top5, good chance that players getting paid after ELC and Pettersson would already be paid by then.

And who the f*** knows what JT is thinking and if he would ever waive and who knows how negative his value becomes at that point in the future.
This contract can become negative very quick, say Miller doesn’t give the clown act up by trade deadline. Then we are really f***ed.

It was signed with the idea that it is ok / good now, and bad later.

I don't know who wants that deal with how pouty he is currently.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Miller is untradeable. The best we can hope for is making him play through a long four year rebuild (all the while being booed by the fans) and then retain/dump him with a first when he has only a few years left.

Reactions: wetcoast

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I don't understand why JT Miller literally never gets the benefit of the doubt from people.

He had 99 points last year, but that somehow doesn't buy him one week of time when he gets off to a bad start the next season. He had a few bad games to start last year too, and it was the same thing, everyone screaming and calling him "bozo." It's weird. I really don't get why people are so eager to hate this player.

Brock Boeser, in contrast, has been completely terrible, and sucked for most of last season too, but people still give him the benefit of the doubt because he was good in like 2016. JT Miller could put up a hat trick 15 games in a row but the moment he plays two bad ones, people are frothing at the mouth. It's weird to me.

People. It's six games. Relax.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Why are people thinking that JT can be moved at the trade deadline this year his contract makes him almost unmovable unless the Canucks are taking back another large contract, which doesn't fit their needs.

I wasn't in favor of resigning him long term but the fact remains that the return probably wasn't all that great and heck some people quickly forget how good he was last season and the first 6 games have been horrible it's not going to stay that way.

The way I see it is that the day he signed long term we were stuck with him good or bad.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Miller is untradeable. The best we can hope for is making him play through a long four year rebuild (all the while being booed by the fans) and then retain/dump him with a first when he has only a few years left.

Sure but it's also highly unlikely that he would return a first rounder in 4 years as the team trading for him will have his contract for 2 or 3 seasons after that at 8 million per.

So you were pretty much dead on in your first sentence.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I don't understand why JT Miller literally never gets the benefit of the doubt from people.

He had 99 points last year, but that somehow doesn't buy him one week of time when he gets off to a bad start the next season. He had a few bad games to start last year too, and it was the same thing, everyone screaming and calling him "bozo." It's weird. I really don't get why people are so eager to hate this player.

Brock Boeser, in contrast, has been completely terrible, and sucked for most of last season too, but people still give him the benefit of the doubt because he was good in like 2016. JT Miller could put up a hat trick 15 games in a row but the moment he plays two bad ones, people are frothing at the mouth. It's weird to me.

In Boeser's case, it's a situation of he's just not that good it seems anymore.
In Miller's case, it seems more of a case he's a lazy, tempermental player (Bertuzzi syndrome).

I think that's what gets people hot under the collar more. Miller is good, it's just that he plays like he doesn't give two sh****s.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Is it just me, or does Miller look like a turnover machine at times with a very questionable hockey IQ?

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver

I don't really give Boeser the benefit of the doubt, either. The problem with Miller isn't just his play, it's that it seems like his temperament and ostensible influence on the locker room is dragging the entire team down.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I don't really give Boeser the benefit of the doubt, either. The problem with Miller isn't just his play, it's that it seems like his temperament and ostensible influence on the locker room is dragging the entire team down.
I think with Boeser's "back story", you can't help but root for the guy. Heck, I still do despite coming to the realization he might be just a very poor man's Luc Robitaille.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

It's not 6 games, it's 6 losses in a row.

JT Miller of the brand new 7x8m contract has most certainly been part of the problem and 6 losses in, Schenn is already calling him out in front of everyone. Just another shameful moment in our pathetic team history.

So what he scored 99 points last year. Winning a cup is not a sprint, it's a freakin marathon and real professionals know that.

JT Miller is not acting like a pro. He's acting like a child and seriously screwing up the zen of this team.

And I don't see anyone giving Boeser the benefit of the doubt right now. I personally gave him some slack last season but him looking exactly the same starting this season on a brand new 3-year contract is really inexcusable and unprofessional and just like Jake Virtanen.

6 losses in a row to start a season is not acceptable and I am honestly unsure why anyone would think otherwise.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Sure but it's also highly unlikely that he would return a first rounder in 4 years as the team trading for him will have his contract for 2 or 3 seasons after that at 8 million per.

So you were pretty much dead on in your first sentence.
You misunderstood me. We would be the team trading the first.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
In Boeser's case, it's a situation of he's just not that good it seems anymore.
In Miller's case, it seems more of a case he's a lazy, tempermental player (Bertuzzi syndrome).

I think that's what gets people hot under the collar more. Miller is good, it's just that he plays like he doesn't give two sh****s.

I mean, people want to have it two ways. That he's lazy and doesn't give two shits but also he's a hot-head who is always frustrated?

Although yeah, I guess the same was true of Bertuzzi.

Reactions: MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

This fanbase is baffling to me.

5 years of domination under Gillis. Bad 30 games : PITCHFORKS!

8 years of the most incompetent management in history under Benning? Ho-hum. Seems fine.

Bad 6 games in the first season of a new management team? PITCHFORKS!

JT Miller was the 8th leading scorer in the NHL last year. He’s a terrific player. He’ll be fine.

And I don’t think it’s an effort problem. Right now he looks like Bad Bieksa in that his reading of the game has just deserted him and he’s forcing low-percentage plays.

He’s been terrible, obviously. But not as terrible as Pettersson and Boeser were for most of last season, or even close.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
This fanbase is baffling to me.

5 years of domination under Gillis. Bad 30 games : PITCHFORKS!

8 years of the most incompetent management in history under Benning? Ho-hum. Seems fine.

Bad 6 games in the first season of a new management team? PITCHFORKS!

JT Miller was the 8th leading scorer in the NHL last year. He’s a terrific player. He’ll be fine.

And I don’t think it’s an effort problem. Right now he looks like Bad Bieksa in that his reading of the game has just deserted him and he’s forcing low-percentage plays.

He’s been terrible, obviously. But not as terrible as Pettersson and Boeser were for most of last season, or even close.
I think the disconnect is from the fact that JTM is obviously a very talented player, he had several very productive seasons that SHOULD buy him more rope with the fanbase. 6 bad games SHOULDN'T be a big deal as everybody goes through some dry spells, and the 6 losses ISN'T completely on him as it takes a team effort to be that bad.

HOWEVER, when the guy is a huge reason for the losses, turning over pucks and generally coasting out there, bringing attention to the fact that he was on for all 8 of the goals against to start the season, yet don't appear to be willing to take ownership of his play (the "I'm not going to change the way I play" quite), that's where I think most fans has issue with. Boeser has been just as bad but at least the guy LOOKS like he is trying out there and isn't giving picks away left and right. It's one thing for an offensive player to not put up points, it's another to just give up on plays.

PS: I think his inability to control or hide his frustration is a problem as well. Some people likes it and see it as "caring" and "he is an emotional leader", and when things are going well (either for the team or for him individually) it looks good. But I'm guessing that act wears thin with people when things aren't going well. I can't speak for his teammates but some fans that I talk to is starting to see it as unprofessional, out of control, not a good way to lead, etc.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad