JT for C

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
5 year contracts aren't long.

Did he pinky swear to Dubas he'd sign an 8 year deal after this ?

When it comes time for his third contract Kyle already gave away the bit of leverage he could have had: NMC. Once hes locked down with a trade clause Matthews will demand whatever he wants or walk just like Tavares did. Clearly Matthews isn't doing this team any favors so it ridiculous to expect he'll stick around for anything less than an over payment AGAIN.

Beanzy

Nov 14, 2018
If there was a lack of commitment, Matthews would've gone to RFA hoping for a big offer sheet from AZ. I believe the 5 year deal was to keep his AAV lower. Plenty of commitment from Matthews.

That being said, I've thought all along it should be... Tavares 'C', Matthews 'A', Rielly 'A'.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I am biased towards JT because he has remained healthy and plays like a leader (to me). He seems a more natural fit than Matty(can't lead from IR), but since he gives the leadership already it is arguable that you take that with thanks, and put the C on someone else to share the burden. Rielly or Matthews then seem to be the guys you would look at, but that should be the players choosing IMO so who knows the dressing room dynamic around it. Of those three you have your C and your two assistants.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Having a captain is so outdated and archaic anyway. Why is it still a thing in 2019? Tradition, I get it, but I think it's time to ditch it.

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Having a captain is so outdated and archaic anyway. Why is it still a thing in 2019? Tradition, I get it, but I think it's time to ditch it.

If you could state your case of why you think a Captain is "outdated and archaic" that would help in supporting your point .

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Did Crosby have a lack of commitment when he signed his 5 year deal after his ELC?

Wow...Leafs HF nation has gone bat crap crazy after the Matthews deal.

He will be a UFA at the age of 26, you never know what will happen

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
The C should go to JT or Mo, not because of the contracts, but because both strike me as better suited for the job than Matthews.

Reactions: dsred

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Would give it to Rielly especially since hes the only one whos actually taken a hometown discount.

What in God's name are you talking about? People really need to understand what "taking a discount" is, because I'll tell you what it isn't is being a young player with potential who signs a fair value contract and then improves to make the deal look good years after its been signed.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
When the Oilers handed McDavid the C, I was critical because the timing of it seemed like a desperate attempt to get him to stay long term. Now with Matthews only signing a 5 year deal, I'd say handing him the C gives the Leafs a better chance of re-signing him.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If you could state your case of why you think a Captain is "outdated and archaic" that would help in supporting your point .

Why do we need an official captain? Players can be leaders without a letter on their jersey. Most other sports don't have this either. Nowadays it just puts extra pressure on the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad