JT for C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Young captains are just the wrong way to go. Experience required.

What do you think is going to happen when the put the C on someone? The leaders already lead and will continue to lead regardless. It's not like people would stop listening to Matthews and now only listen to JT who's words will be perfect.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
“There is no one who likes being a Leaf more than Morgan,” Babcock added. “He provides leadership and has unbelievable enthusiasm every day, a zest for life and he shares that with the guys. You need energy people and he’s one of them.”

Kyle Dubas and Mike Babcock didn’t pin an ‘A’ on Morgan Rielly’s chest with the goal of him setting team records in points by a defenceman.
But if giving a share of the captaincy is to be judged after one month, fair to say Rielly has lived up to the letter in every sense.

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Matthews will be captain and he will be a Leaf for far longer than the next 5 years.

You would have to be blind not to see that he made a long term commitment to the Leafs.

Mathews is not captain material ..Period. Give it to JT

Reactions: dsred

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
You would have to be blind not to see that he made a long term commitment to the Leafs.
5 year contracts aren't long.

Did he pinky swear to Dubas he'd sign an 8 year deal after this ?

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
If Babcock decides, he's picking JT for many reasons.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I don't think the Leafs are trying to rip anyone off. Negotiations aren't about trying to rip players or other teams off, it's about making a fair deal. Nobody knows what the future of the NHL holds. To use today's salary compensation in discussions for tomorrow doesn't work. Is there going to be a lock-out that crushes salaries down? Will the Cap go up? Really it could of come down to the Leafs and Matthews both coming to the conclusion there's not currently enough information to make a fair deal for either side that far off in the future, they shook hands at that.

I think a HUGE overlooked part when it comes the Toronto Maple Leaf organization, they are developing players. This isn't the `80's where some pimple-nosed kid is thrown on the ice without a clue and gets completely torn up. Prospects are being developed in the system. Young players like Matthews, they're not being thrown out for 22 minutes per game to win now. Almost all fan criticism I see is about coaching is about the 'now', not the development or destination. Matthews is getting ice-time and situations based on his development and maturing of a player. Some teams? Yes they would be throwing him out there, and he'd be scoring like crazy with the extra ice-time. But since Matthews has been in the league, he's a +30 and Malkin is a +16. Hyman in that time has a better +/- then Crosby. Yes there may be some more development in their scoring abilities, but the real path to become champions is going to be smart two-way play. If the Leafs wanted more offense from Matthews, they know they could just give him more ice-time. They know he has one of the best points/60 in the league, and they're still trying to make him a better player.

"Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to." - Richard Bronson.

Reactions: JayfromNB1219

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Hope we all remember this in the playoffs when Matthews scores some big goal and everyone loves him again...

Clearly not captain material because we went for flexibility over long term commitment. :sarcasm:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
JT is the obvious choice, Rielly has a shot too IMO. Matthews is a great player but too young and immature. He threw a temper tantrum last playoffs/offseason about not getting to play with Marner, and Babs had to personally fly out to him over the summer to smooth things over. Not captain material, clearly.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
With Matthews signing a scant 5 year deal I think JT should be the Captain. JT is more captain material than Matthews anyway. The lack of commitment by Matthews to Toronto seals the deal for me. A seven or 8 year deal by Matthews was going to make me overlook JT's superior leadership qualities.

JT is the player our young guys should model themselves after. Strong. Consistent. Professional.

I'm waiting til after Marner's deal to make my final decision. If we lock up Marner i might give it to him.

Really all three would be great leaders.

My vote so far ... JT.

John Tavares does not have some sweetheart contract. Can we do away with this idea permanently? He signed for the second highest offer available, and at the time became the second highest paid player in the NHL, and signed for more than his comparables.

Does anyone here remember that Jonathan Toews was at the forefront of the last lockout fighting for players to earn more money and that he then signed a contract worth way more than he was worth? Considered one of the best captains of the decade. Sorry I know, dumb question on my part with the goldfish memory in Leaf land.

If Matthews didn't want to be here he wouldn't have signed yesterday, he pushed to earn the amount he felt he was worth which was every bit within his right and this was the term the team could accommodate. This is such a ridiculous line of thinking. Hate to break it to you guys but we're not getting discounts with the richest team in the league, fair or not and with the salary cap its decidedly not, this team pulls in the amount of money that from a business standpoint Matthews easily deserves this contract.

Is it a great contract? No. But lets put it in context, especially because by all accounts Matthews was open to signing for 8. Regardless this is an absolutely ridiculous argument.

leafsfan2

Jan 4, 2007
Markham,ON
Mathews wants to be a maple leafs long term. According to the agent, he wanted to sign a long term extension but due to the cap issues settled to a 5-year deal. He is the face of the franchise and is a no brainer especially now that he paid like one. He is the obvious choice for captaincy.

some leaf fans are so emotional. Luckily our GM is not.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Hope we all remember this in the playoffs when Matthews scores some big goal and everyone loves him again...

exhibit A:

ACA997A9-DE9B-4AA8-9EA6-1C982AC3262A.jpeg

JT is the goal scorer.

Matthews might be injured come playoff time.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
You don't give out the C for 5 years.

Matthews' hardball contract shows Toronto how much he wanted to commit.

Tavares is the veteran leadership we need. Babcock is picking him anyway.

Babcock shouldnt be picking the captain, nor Dubas or anyone in management. It should be a room vote amongst players.

Shanny/Babs said a captain will emerge - that they dont want to force it. I think most of us know one has, and I think if the room was to vote Rielly would be their choice.

JT would be a fine second option.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Babcock shouldnt be picking the captain, nor Dubas or anyone in management. It should be a room vote amongst players.
Is that how it's done ?
The team voted for Phaneuf ?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Would give it to Rielly especially since hes the only one whos actually taken a hometown discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad