JT for C

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Pretty sure that part was discussed before JT signed for 7 years . Don't think it's gonna happen or it would have happened by now

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
give it to Rielly

-long serving drafted Leaf
-high end player with years of prime left
-class guy on and off the ice

and unlike Tavares who comes off scripted/fake in every interview , Rielly seems very natural with the media

also believe he'd be a much more popular choice in the room compared to JT

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
give it to Rielly

-long serving drafted Leaf
-high end player with years of prime left
-class guy on and off the ice

and unlike Tavares who comes off scripted/fake in every interview , Rielly seems very natural with the media

also believe he'd be a much more popular choice in the room compared to JT
Rielly is my #1 choice too but I think you're being a bit unfair to JT as he is very very respected and liked by almost everyone he's played with along with all the coaches and management he's been with. Even after he left New York despite the fans being dickheads his teammates still supported him and only said good things about his character and who he was as a person and leader.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Rielly is my #1 choice too but I think you're being a bit unfair to JT as he is very very respected and liked by almost everyone he's played with along with all the coaches and management he's been with. Even after he left New York despite the fans being ********s his teammates still supported him and only said good things about his character and who he was as a person and leader.

i adore MO but i give it to JT, we already know the C won't affect his play , i proffer that he is older, has the spot light on him since age 15 ish, franchise pedigree, gold medal winner , for me it's the safest bet.

i don't want to take the chance that it affects MO

lets not kid ourselves here,,,,,,,,,, having a A in TO is not nothing.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
i adore MO but i give it to JT, we already know the C won't affect his play , i proffer that he is older, has the spot light on him since age 15 ish, franchise pedigree, gold medal winner , for me it's the safest bet.

i don't want to take the chance that it affects MO

lets not kid ourselves here,,,,,,,,,, having a A in TO is not nothing.
That's definitely a big plus in JT's favour, he can handle this market as he's been in the spotlight since he was a kid. Maybe it's 'boring' but do you guys want someone who can be boring but not get fazed at all by the pressure or someone that makes animated comments but lets the media and pressure get to him?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
You judge on results. 5 year deal.
Matthews camp wanted full term, Management went the 5 year route to keep the AAV lower. There’s more of a history of top 3 pick elite C’s signing for 5 years than you do for 8 years, and the GM who broke the mould was Chia who we all know was terrible in literally everything to do with the job.
If anything those long term big money deals he gave McD and especially Drai was what shifted the market, not Dubas. If McJesus signs a 5yr x $10-11m deal what would everyone else have gotten?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Compared to Matthews, who is the glamorous option, Tavares feels like the boring option. Not a criticism. Just an observation about his workmanlike approach and style of game. Just comes to work every day, goes to the front of the net every game. Nothing wrong with that at all. Could be a good steadying hand.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
A.M., J.T. and M.G. are all terrific candidates.

All things considered equal, give it to the one that makes everyone less jealous.

We have two excellent candidates - Morgan Rielly and John Tavares. Auston Matthews has never been a very good candidate for captaincy, even though he's most likely going to become out best player this season.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
With Matthews signing a scant 5 year deal I think JT should be the Captain. JT is more captain material than Matthews anyway. The lack of commitment by Matthews to Toronto seals the deal for me. A seven or 8 year deal by Matthews was going to make me overlook JT's superior leadership qualities.

JT is the player our young guys should model themselves after. Strong. Consistent. Professional.

I'm waiting til after Marner's deal to make my final decision. If we lock up Marner i might give it to him.

Really all three would be great leaders.

My vote so far ... JT.

Good call! My choice was captain morgan but I cant complain about their decision what so ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad