JR did not... just say that (Despres/Lovejoy Trade)

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
1. Find the URL of a picture you like. I Googled "picture." Left click on a preview image you like to bring up the full screen, then right clicked on the full image, selected copy image location. It's important you select "image location" you want to point to just the picture.
2. wrap that URL with IMG tags

It should look like this in the thread reply window without the space between the braces of the tag.
[ IMG]http://www.picturesnew.com/media/images/picture-wallpaper.jpg[ /IMG]

The result:
picture-wallpaper.jpg

Thanks. Granted, I'm a complete idiot, but when I right click on a picture/image, I don't have an option to 'copy image location'. The only option I see is 'copy', which when I copy the URL and put it in the IMG tags, all that comes up is a black box with an X in it.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Despres is a fighter. Nothing more. You don't need goons today. Lovejoy is a hitter. It makes perfect sense. Lots and lots of team toughness. Do you see how the bench talked to the official after Gryba speared Crosby in the jewels? That was the response that we've been waiting for.

Look at that depth of forwards! Bennett on the fourth-line? It's called depth.

Gybra hit Crosby in the balls because he's one of the few that has them on this team.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Thanks. Granted, I'm a complete idiot, but when I right click on a picture/image, I don't have an option to 'copy image location'. The only option I see is 'copy', which when I copy the URL and put it in the IMG tags, all that comes up is a black box with an X in it.

Ah you're probably using internet explorer. When you bring up the full screen preview you should see an option to "view image" left click that. This will open a page with just the picture. Copy the URL from your address bar into the img tags.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Yes I am/was. I tried Chrome, and although the 'image location' thing didn't come up, the URL that I just copied seems to work.

Amazing+wallpaper+pictures-3+%25284%2529.jpg

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Ah you're probably using internet explorer. When you bring up the full screen preview you should see an option to "view image" left click that. This will open a page with just the picture. Copy the URL from your address bar into the img tags.

Thanks for the help. 8 years and 4000+ posts later, I finally know how to post a picture!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
See... and people say this board is nothing but a bunch of sour-shoed, inflammatory *******s!

We just accomplished tangibly more right there than the entire team has in months!

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
So... my brother brings up a good point and I want your opinion:

Did JR say this comment because he's a little irritated with how this GM thing is working? He calls out the trade and calls out the idea that 9 people are in on it. Basically stating he's not making the decision.

Is this JR making a strong comment against the organization?

I see calling out 9 people as by far the bigger point JR is making here, rather than this specific trade. It's completely ridiculous to have so many people involved in making a decision like this, and it makes any kind of a time-sensitive situation a time bomb for this organization.

This is exactly why I was hoping for no deals at the deadline.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
So... my brother brings up a good point and I want your opinion:

Did JR say this comment because he's a little irritated with how this GM thing is working? He calls out the trade and calls out the idea that 9 people are in on it. Basically stating he's not making the decision.

Is this JR making a strong comment against the organization?

Let's play along with this and say there are 9 people involved in the decision making process. If 8 of them are assistant GMs or lower level personnel and they come to the GM with an idea he doesn't agree with, he's the majority ruler and person with the power. He can veto anything.

The only way this trade isn't overruled by JR at this point is if Morehouse, Lemieux, or Burkle are involved as one of the 9. I would guess that a trade not involving one of Sid, Geno, Fleury, Letang, and possibly even Maatta would require one of those 3 involved in the discussion.

If the 8 people came to JR and he went along with it and he didn't agree or look into it enough, then he's a ****ing idiot.

At the end of the day, JR is the manager and he's held accountable for these decisions. Anyone who has ever been involved in management in real life are held to these standards, especially when there are multiple people involved in making big decisions.

My guess is this. This has been JR's MO over the years. When he gets fixated on a player he wants, he's willing to overpay. I bet they wanted a strong locker room presence and veteran D and fixated on Lovejoy. He probably talked to Anaheim about it and said what would it take to get Lovejoy and they probably held to their cards about it being Despres or nothing. Anaheim had nothing to lose by sticking to asking for Despres. They have like 10 NHL defensemen on their roster and acquired Wisniewski also. Losing Lovejoy, who was a healthy scratch a few games prior to the deadline didn't mean **** to them. If you want him bad enough, you'll give us Despres.

All I'm saying is, in the words of young kids today, GMJR was thirsty to make a trade for Lovejoy. And he paid the price for that thirst.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
well, no ****...

obviously he has been forced to pull the trigger on this. what he hasn't been forced to do is to trade Despres for only Lovejoy with nothing on top of it coming our way. he's terrible at trades, just god awful. he should have gotten more for Neal also. Hornqvist is a nice piece, but PPG 40G players just don't grow on trees and their value is through the roof, regardless of what this fanbase is thinking about Neal. you don't trade Neal as a playoff undisciplined choker, like this board considers him, you trade him as a PPG player with a deadly shot...

While that's true, guys who play the game like Hornqvist who can consistently put the puck in the net are just as rare.

I don't dispute that he's bad at trades, or that he shouldn't have gotten a little more for Neal. Just that I don't think it's as lopsided as you make it seem to be.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't think so. JR likes to talk, and he's honest. I don't think there's much more to it than that. If he truly wanted to make a comment against the organization I think he would have said something a little more direct than this.

Agreed.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
All I'm saying is, in the words of young kids today, GMJR was thirsty to make a trade for Lovejoy. And he paid the price for that thirst.

I'm calling bull **** as well.

He says 9 people are involved in roster decisions. Presumably, that's him, Morehouse, his AGM's and ownership.

I'm sorry, but 66 and Larouche, at minimum, are not going to be pressuring JR to trade a cheap, goofy French kid for a similar, older, more expensive not-French guy. It's just something that wouldn't happen. If it was up to Larouche, the whole team would be French and Max Talbot would be the captain.

If he'd said 6 instead of 9, maybe I'd believe him, but everything he did at this year's deadline is everything Mario was seething about last year after they fired Shero.

I think he's feeling the noose tightening and he's worrying about his reputation. "Wasn't me, it was all those other guys."

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Anyone who thinks the GM of this franchise is able to make any sort of decisions himself needs a reality check. This is a country club run by Lemieux and it goes all the way down to the players.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
When I saw that quote I actually thought I misread it or it was a typo or something. I mean even if JR was forced into the deal, which is ridiculous enough by itself, I can't believe he would actually admit that. He might as well have just said "The thing about that Lovejoy trade is... we got totally boned in the ass".

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
I kinda wish they would just tell us specifically who the idiots in the organization were so we could properly direct our vitriolic comments. Instead, they leave us to ponder who among them are the culprits. So rude.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

He says 9 people are involved in roster decisions. Presumably, that's him, Morehouse, his AGM's and ownership.

I'm sorry, but 66 and Larouche, at minimum, are not going to be pressuring JR to trade a cheap, goofy French kid for a similar, older, more expensive not-French guy. It's just something that wouldn't happen. If it was up to Larouche, the whole team would be French and Max Talbot would be the captain.

If he'd said 6 instead of 9, maybe I'd believe him, but everything he did at this year's deadline is everything Mario was seething about last year after they fired Shero.

I think he's feeling the noose tightening and he's worrying about his reputation. "Wasn't me, it was all those other guys."

Do you think he's voted off the island after this season?

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

Why would there be any motivation to get rid of Despres for any of the GM crew? The only straw I've managed to grasp at is that they didn't want to only have 1 RHD.

Hell, after the last regime was ousted some of the only specifics mentioned were jumping ship on Letestu too early and getting ripped off in the deal and NOT playing Simon Despres. So a year later the new regime is trading a young player, the very same Simon Despres for Lovejoy?

There must be something we don't know about all this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad