JR did not... just say that (Despres/Lovejoy Trade)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
“I would expect that that would be criticized,†Rutherford said. “If we had [Christian] Ehrhoff and Letang playing, we could plug Lovejoy and [Ian] Cole where I expected they’d fit. One thing about Lovejoy that I said at the time: This is a trade that over time will not be in our favor. We traded a young player [Simon Despres] for him, but our hockey organization is basically a group of nine people, and [it was clear] the trade was made more for experience, a trade that would give us a better chance in the playoffs.â€

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/gene-collier/2015/04/09/Gene-Collier-8/stories/201504090088

This has been in about 4-5 threads already so it's definitely worthy of its own. We need to talk about it and we don't need the clutter in about 4-5 other threads. :laugh:

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
To be fair I think what he was saying was that when you trade a 23 year old for a 31 year old over time the trade will look worse as both players age.

The fallacy is the thinking that Lovejoy is better now.

As for JR, as a whole he did fairly well. On balance, given where we were with the cap, I liked the moves that he made to remake the team until that trade. The Lovejoy trade was not even his worst move. The HCMJ hire was.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Tbh it's obvious that a when you trade for experience that the trade will not be in your favour long term but to come out and say it like this is insanely stupid!!!

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Fire everyone.

JR is willingly executing trades that make the team worse (in his own words) - that is indefensible.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i'll just report my comments here....

this is what happens when you hire one of the league's worst gms. he makes dumb moves and produces a bad team.

anyone with marginal knowledge about the nhl should have recognized hiring rutherford was a terrible move.

the fact that people convinced themselves that hiring him was anything but stupid shows how the optimisim bias can allow people to rationalize even the dumbest of ideas.

it would be funny/elucidating to go back and read the thread from this board when rutherford was hired. anyone have a link? dont have time to find it, but will later.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
JR seems like the Joe Biden of NHL GM's.

His quotes to the media leave you thinking.. WTF? Is this guy insane?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

this is what happens when you hire one of the league's worst gms. he makes dumb moves and produces a bad team.

anyone with marginal knowledge about the nhl should have recognized hiring rutherford was a terrible move.

the fact that people convinced themselves that hiring him was anything but stupid shows how the optimisim bias can allow people to rationalize even the dumbest of ideas.

it would be funny/elucidating to go back and read the thread from this board when rutherford was hired. anyone have a link? dont have time to find it, but will later.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1685069

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Statements like that show why nobody in their right mind is going to want to jump into this ****sewer and clean this mess up.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub

Yes, absolutely, Rutherford is a terrible GM. I don't think many would disagree.

But I have a hard time blaming him for this mess. Yes, GMs need advisers. They can't possibly know everything. A good GM will rely on his team to make an informed decision. But it doesn't seem like that's what's happening here. It seems like Rutherford has a partial say along with eight others on any given personnel decision, and then, as a committee, they act.

Which is wrong. It needs to be one guy, with one vision, with one signature signing off on all moves. He shouldn't be overridden by the team President. He shouldn't be buffaloed into a deal he doesn't want to make by an AGM.

Rutherford was a terrible hire, and in no way do I want him with this organization. But there are five to six other guys I'd point the finger at first.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Yeah Jim, the problem is that you were operating under the assumption you'd have all of your defenseman healthy. This is a ****ing contact sport and this is the ****ing Penguins. If any team should know about injuries to key players, it's this team. That's why you don't trade away a defenseman that's shown THIS SEASON he can handle top-4 minutes. He's your God damn insurance policy you *******.

This too is completely ignoring the fact that Ben mother ****ing Lovejoy IS NOT, WILL NOT, and HAS NEVER BEEN a better defenseman than Despres was THIS SEASON. Oh and he's also bigger, stronger, faster, and more skilled. Who needs that though?

Oh, and now Scuderi is being exposed for the terrible defenseman he is too. So essentially they ****ed themselves twice. These kinds of moves are ones, that if made in the real world, has you fired before you even get to put ink to paper. Then the guy goes out there and pumps the tires of Johnston the same way Shero did with Bylsma.

Penguins GM: Coach Johnston has done 'very good job'

For **** sake I hate this team right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad