JR did not... just say that (Despres/Lovejoy Trade)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
"We traded Jonathan Drouin for Tyler Kennedy because even though we knew it would hurt us in the future, Kennedy provides the experience that we needed right now." - Steve Yzerman

That's pretty much the rational behind the move that JR gave.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Then why approve the ****ing trade?! It makes no sense. What pisses me off is that we could have EASILY traded Despres for someone that would have made us much better right now. But no, we got Ben ****ing Lovejoy again. He's pure ****ing garbage. He's worse than when we traded him away the first time and we completely wasted a very valuable asset. The only reason I liked the Erhoff signing was that it made a young defenseman expandable to get some help in our top 6. And now we completely flushed that opportunity down the toilet. It's gonna be more Dupuis and Kunitz in the top 6 the next three years. And it sounds Bennett is as good as gone too. I don't even want to think about what they'll trade him for.

This circus needs to end. Fire every ****ing one of these clowns.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
It shouldn't matter whether Rutherford was the impetus behind the decision. if he knew it would be a net loss and didn't veto it, he deserves the axe.

So... fire Rutherford, hire a replacement for 1 year, fire the replacement, then promote Botterill?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It shouldn't matter whether Rutherford was the impetus behind the decision. if he knew it would be a net loss and didn't veto it, he deserves the axe.

I do not believe this was an option.

I can say that with ... 80%? confidence.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
If the team is looking for a new GM to be a patsy and follow orders, I have a lot of experience in NHL 14 Be a GM mode and I'm also a successful soccer manager in FM 14. For a GM's salary I'm willing to do whatever the puppet masters tell me and willing to take the verbal abuse from fans. If you are with the Penguins organization and are interested, please PM me.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
I'm glad he pointed out that there were 9 people involved. That way we won't somehow delude ourselves into thinking that Guerin, Fitzgerald or Botterill would be suitable for the GM job.

I think that they have a lot more sway than we're giving them credit for - they have a decent amount of tenure with this organization, and they were kept on after Shero got the axe. Like I said, I think Rutherford is more of a figurehead GM who has less powers than those on other teams.

The answer is to gut the front office (all of them) and hire people from outside the organization. No more super friends.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
btw, I've never been in a locker room.

How does this affect Lovejoy? How does this play in the room? Not at all?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The media HAS to use this against him when we miss the playoffs. "So you said it would look bad... how's it looking now?"

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This team has pretty much led the league in injuries almost every year for more than half a decade.

How anyone couldn't know that the Pens would have injuries now is beyond me.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
tumblr_m5l0riVKur1qa7ey6o1_500.gif

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, I always felt that this wasn't JR's idea. Just the way he acted in the initial press conference seemed... off. This isn't saying he doesn't deserve any blame, but I feel like this quote kind of confirms that he was pressured into it.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
I honestly get the impression that he would have got the axe if he DID veto it.

I do not believe this was an option.

I can say that with ... 80%? confidence.

This is my impression as well. Remember how Lemieux and Burkle went on and on about how the new GM would decide whether to fire Bylsma, and then after firing Bylsma on his first day JR came out and said that they told him to do it?

I like how JR is letting this stuff be known. I also don't blame him - I wouldn't want to get blamed for some of the dumb decisions that he's forced to carry out.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Yeah, I always felt that this wasn't JR's idea. Just the way he acted in the initial press conference seemed... off. This isn't saying he doesn't deserve any blame, but I feel like this quote kind of confirms that he was pressured into it.

Which is why you need to purify this organization with fire.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Larouche is stupid, but there's no chance he runs a French guy out of town. He's still mad Shero didn't re-sign Talbot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad