Proposal: Jost (COL) for Puljujärvi (EDM)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
imo an offseason. I think he will bounce back and become a solid 3rd line center for alot of years. I thought at first he had 2nd line - weak 1st line center potential.

He'll never be a center at NHL level, his poor skating will never allow him to be effective there.

Imo Jost is the better option. Even if he doesn't fulfill his potential he still currently is a great 2 way player and could become a really solid bottom 6 player for a team. Poolparty if he busts he likely just is out of the NHL. He currently has too many issues to really have a role anywhere

What?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
A change up might cause one or both of them to pull their heads out of their asses

Puljujärvi can have Rantanen as his Finnish buddy and Jost can come play in his home town

I’d do it because I don’t wanna watch Puljujärvi play hockey anymore

A change is going to get the coach to pull their head out of their asses . Puljujarvi is being put in a position to fail .

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
A change is going to get the coach to pull their head out of their asses . Puljujarvi is being put in a position to fail .
Pulju has had opportunities under both coaches. McLellan didn't believe in Pulju and now Hitchcock doesn't. It's not a coaching issue.

Fans need to put more blame on the player rather than the coach.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
Pulju has had opportunities under both coaches. McLellan didn't believe in Pulju and now Hitchcock doesn't. It's not a coaching issue.

Drake Caggiula was traded months ago and still has more powerplay minutes than Puljujarvi. The kid is averaging 11:57 ice-time per game and has been buried with AHL caliber players.

This is such a garbage take.

Last edited:

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
I'd take the gamble. I don't think Jost is going to amount to anything.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
Puljujarvi with McDavid:

66:46 minutes
58.09% CF with McDavid
44.12% CF without McDavid
McDavid 48.62% CF without Puljujarvi

53.13% SCF with McDavid
45.43% SCF without McDavid
McDavid 49.72% SCF without Puljujarvi

This is not a case of a kid busting in the NHL. It is 100% on the coaches and management for failing to put him in a position to succeed, even though it is evidently good for ****both**** him and McDavid.

Anytime he's gotten brief playing time with 97, they remove him from the line within a period because the Oilers are losing.

If you're not going to play him with skilled players, send him to the AHL to develop.

Stats per NaturalStatTrick.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013

More stats to disprove this nonsense:

Here's the list of players who've had more time playing with Connor McDavid than Puljujarvi:
Chiasson
Rattie
Caggiula (traded months ago)
Kassian
Yamamoto (hasn't been in the NHL most of the season)
Lucic

"Pulju has had opportunities" my ass. Khaira is 6 minutes with 97 away from jumping Puljujarvi.

Reactions: Bretzky

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Personally I would do this from an Avs perspective. Stefan Elliot is the only Avs player in recent memory that gives Jost a run for his money in being the most visibly scared player of recieving body contact. I remember some Avs fans that watched Jost in college that compared his game to Parise which could not be more incorrect. Pulijujarvi has a much better chance of making it as a 3rd liner IMO.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Hard to see Puljujärvi being worth of anything else than 3rd to 7th round pick and player not named Jost.
Puljujärvi's trade value isn't high it's quite low for a reason.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Drake Caggiula was traded months ago and still has more powerplay minutes than Puljujarvi. The kid is averaging 11:57 ice-time per game and has been buried with AHL caliber players.

This is such a garbage take.
Puljujarvi is a garbage player

Garbage plays with garbage

It hilarious how people keep blindly supporting him. He should be in the AHL developing

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
They both should've stayed in their respective league a year longer before coming to the nhl. I would think they have similar value...

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Personally I would do this from an Avs perspective. Stefan Elliot is the only Avs player in recent memory that gives Jost a run for his money in being the most visibly scarred player of recieving body contact. I remember some Avs fans that watched Jost in college that compared his game to Parise which could not be more incorrect. Pulijujarvi has a much better chance of making it as a 3rd liner IMO.

He's a 20 year old kid playing against men and has missed quite a bit of time thus far in his NHL career due to injuries caused by contact. If he wasn't concerned about contact at this point, I'd question his mental well being.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
He's a 20 year old kid playing against men and has missed quite a bit of time thus far in his NHL career due to injuries caused by contact. If he wasn't concerned about contact at this point, I'd question his mental well being.
I disagree, Girard is also 20 and is even smaller, he however is not at all scared of contact. Jost starts falling down before he’s even hit. I’m not saying he needs to be a bruiser out there, I’m just saying the Avs have not had a player so physically incompetent when it comes to board battles in a very long time. Elliot is the only one that comes close in my opinion. Plays always die once when they get on Jost’s stick almost without fail. I know it sounds harsh but I lost a lot of faith in this guy this year.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
recency bias is crazy and its how you end up with Dylan Strome leaving your team. Jost and Puljujaarvi have immense talent, and sometimes a lot of their qualities that gave them the draft pedigree go dormant in less than ideal playing situations. Pool Party can skate, pass, has hands and can make really good plays at high speed with his size. Jost is a top 6 forward playing bottom of the lineup on a bad team. Instead of always looking to trade young talent looking for a mythical "change of scenery" ask the player what his reservations are for not bringing everything he has and put him in positions to succeed. There's not reason Pool Party should be playing on a line with RNH or McDavid and the moment a goal is given up or a TO ensues that they move down the lineup.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I disagree, Girard is also 20 and is even smaller, he however is not at all scared of contact. Jost starts falling down before he’s even hit. I’m not saying he needs to be a bruiser out there, I’m just saying the Avs have not had a player so physically incompetent when it comes to board battles in a very long time. Elliot is the only one that comes close in my opinion. Plays always die once when they get on Jost’s stick almost without fail. I know it sounds harsh but I lost a lot of faith in this guy this year.

Injury history is more of a factor than size. Girard has played every game so far this season, and only missed a few games last year due to a minor injury. Jost had 3 stints last year where he missed games due to contact related injuries, more missed games early this season due to a "head injury", and was just banged up in an AHL game in late January. For a 20 year old kid playing against men, with his injury history, it's easy to understand why he's concerned about getting hit.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Injury history is more of a factor than size. Girard has played every game so far this season, and only missed a few games last year due to a minor injury. Jost had 3 stints last year where he missed games due to contact related injuries, more missed games early this season due to a "head injury", and was just banged up in an AHL game in late January. For a 20 year old kid playing against men, with his injury history, it's easy to understand why he's concerned about getting hit.
Again I disagree, I’m saying I haven’t seen any Avs player play like this. There have been many players that have been injured before, there have not been any to my recollection like Jost that lose pretty much every 1 on 1 battle he partakes in. Even Hishon had more fire and his injuries were much more serious.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Again I disagree, I’m saying I haven’t seen any Avs player play like this. There have been many players that have been injured before, there have not been any to my recollection like Jost that lose pretty much every 1 on 1 battle he partakes in. Even Hishon had more fire and his injuries were much more serious.

Did you not watch Iginla? :sarcasm:

It's not about how serious Jost's injuries have been, it's the frequency of his injuries. It's almost easier when you're returning from a single serious injury compared to working your way back from 5 or 6 minor injuries over a an 18 month period, because you only have to be able to ignore/forget the single event that caused your injury. When you're constantly working your way back to health, only to get hurt again, it's harder to ignore/forget the events that caused your numerous injuries, and you start trying to find a way to avoid injury in an attempt to break the cycle.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Not sure what he can do about his issues with receiving a pass (I think it is as much a confidence issue as a skill issue), but Jost needs to train with Rantanan and see how Rants gained and developed confidence in his strength on the puck and on his skates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad