Proposal: Jost (COL) for Puljujärvi (EDM)

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Puljujarvi won the WJC tournament MVP after Finland won gold. And this was with Laine, Aho and Matthews performing very well too. He also clinched top scorer honors and led the whole tournament.
He's got size, speed, and a wicked shot. On a different team, playing with real NHL caliber linemates not named Lucic, Rieder or Brodziak, and with a coach that will play him to his strengths, that beast that we saw in the WJC might wake up. Teemu Selanne could be right, when he said Puljujarvi has the potential to become the best Finnish player in the NHL, even over Laine.

But, if both GM's are absolutely forced to trade them right now for whatever reason, then this is a fair deal at this point in both their careers. Both with less than 2 full NHL seasons of experience, similar P/PG (0.27; 0.32), and each might just need a fresh start somewhere else

If it were solely up to me, both teams keep their struggling 20 yr old prospect, and take on the challenge of patience

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Well its a better idea than the other garbage that seems to be floating around right now (getting rid of Zadorov).

Still don't really like it. Puljujarvi has more talent but Jost is more likely to develop into something useful IMO.

And the Avs could really use useful more than another failure...

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Yes from this Avs fan but this is a crap for poop trade at best. Both these guys are struggling and haven't lived up to their draft status. For the sake of argument, Edm says no because they give up a potential generational meme face in Jesse. Jost's got nothing.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
I'd much rather Poolboy. When he gets outta that organization I think he will thrive. Love the Leafs to make a move for him. Play him in the AHL for rest of year and let him go next year.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Might as well. Jost has failed miserably at 2c, and the Avs are likely to draft a 2c.

He can't play bottom 6. Maybe he can improve and become a 2w, but I'm not optimistic.

Trade him.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I loved Jost at the draft. He looked like a can't miss prospect.

What happened here? Was he rushed to the NHL?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Imo Jost is the better option. Even if he doesn't fulfill his potential he still currently is a great 2 way player and could become a really solid bottom 6 player for a team. Poolparty if he busts he likely just is out of the NHL. He currently has too many issues to really have a role anywhere

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

Imo he was rushed a little bit. His 2 way game is really solid but the Avs lack the supporting help he likely needed and was placed into certain roles too early which stagnated his offense a bit. He's kinda in a weird spot now.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Intriguing but no thanks. I’ll take the 6’4” potential bust who skates like crazy over the 5’11” potential bust. Honestly I still think Jesse can get there. I still think he has it in him and even if the points never come I can see him being a useful bottom 6 guy given his size, speed, reach and defensive awareness. Colorado should be patient with Jost too. Some kids just take longer.

Reactions: A91

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
A change up might cause one or both of them to pull their heads out of their asses

Puljujärvi can have Rantanen as his Finnish buddy and Jost can come play in his home town

I’d do it because I don’t wanna watch Puljujärvi play hockey anymore

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If Colorado gets hughes then this is a trade I think they look at, they need a 2nd C and if they don’t get it this draft they should hold onto him

They will either way. Like 4 of the top 6 player in this draft are considered top 6 C talent, so ever if they don’t get Hughes, they’ll have plenty of other options to look at.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

I think the Avs would have been wise to leave him in college for another year. The Avs aren't great at developing young players anyway, and at worst they should have let him take a large part of last season in the AHL rather than shuffle him up, down, and out of the NHL squad

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Can't comment on Jost but I watched a lot of Pulj and I'd take that deal. In the right situation he might pull it together but very doubtful it will be in Edmonton.

Like another poster suggested I d prefer to add something of value to Pulj and acquire someone that can definitely make an impact. He would be a sweetener to a bigger deal

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
They will either way. Like 4 of the top 6 player in this draft are considered top 6 C talent, so ever if they don’t get Hughes, they’ll have plenty of other options to look at.

It’s hughes, kakko and podzlokin at the top and after them it’s a wash, two of these things are not like the other....

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Imo Jost is the better option. Even if he doesn't fulfill his potential he still currently is a great 2 way player and could become a really solid bottom 6 player for a team. Poolparty if he busts he likely just is out of the NHL. He currently has too many issues to really have a role anywhere
What great 2way game are you talking about? His line gets caved in regularly.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
What great 2way game are you talking about? His line gets caved in regularly.

Yeah because the Avs don't have any depth and is usually outmatched by better players. He's being rushed into situations that are a bit over his head for where he is now but the skill set is certainly there, even if other aspects of his game could use some work.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Because in my opinion, Jost is more likely to become something.

post #27 above on Pool's accomplishments at the world juniors says it all. to me there's way more potential greatness in Pool than Jost but sadly, as with most players the Oilers trade, he'll never realize that potential in Edmonton. o_O

Last edited:

Danvalanche

Feb 13, 2019
Yeah sure why not. Both players aren’t gonna become 30-40 point players so just do the swap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->