Player Discussion Joshua Roy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There’s a reason we were able to secure a first round pick for this fine player. I think it’s amusing to remember some were adamant that we would be lucky to get a second for Monahan and only if we retained.
I weas always on the fence about accepting a late 1st for him.

As a tanker I should be happy. We get a 1st, plus we fall in the standings to help our own 2024 1st.
But he was a such a good player, and could be around when we're ready to compete if that will be in 2 or 3 seasons. And I really don't want our good young players playing with Dvo as their center. And when Dvo's deal is up, will we be able to get as good of a c as Monahan to center the 3rd line? Unlikely.

But Hughes didn't want to give him the money he was looking for, it seems. Which is understandable. Really a shame this WPG 1st is looking like it's going to be a very late 20's pick... Hopefully Hughes can package it for another Newhook or even Dach....

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

As a tanker I should be happy. We get a 1st, plus we fall in the standings to help our own 2024 1st.
But he was a such a good player, and could be around when we're ready to compete if that will be in 2 or 3 seasons. And I really don't want our good young players playing with Dvo as their center. And when Dvo's deal is up, will we be able to get as good of a c as Monahan to center the 3rd line? Unlikely.

But Hughes didn't want to give him the money he was looking for, it seems. Which is understandable. Really a shame this WPG 1st is looking like it's going to be a very late 20's pick... Hopefully Hughes can package it for another Newhook or even Dach....
It was the right move.

He's not going to win anything with us. Plus he's a huge injury risk.

We get a first - coming and going - and we fall in the standings. It makes sense for him and us.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
It was the right move.

He's not going to win anything with us. Plus he's a huge injury risk.

We get a first - coming and going - and we fall in the standings. It makes sense for him and us.
Newhook and Roy are also putting up points and building chemistry. They are responsible for our secondary scoring right now. They may raise Armia's value enough that we can trade him this year without retention, too!

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Newhook and Roy are also putting up points and building chemistry. They are responsible for our secondary scoring right now. They may raise Armia's value enough that we can trade him this year without retention, too!
I actually think we're going to have a pretty decent top six. Dach is the big mystery box as well as this year's pick.

Dach's injury this year was absolutely tragic. Hopefully the silver lining is the higher ranking in the draft. If Dach can stay healthy, I think he can be a huge difference maker for us. But the draft is the real wildcard. If we landed a center... then what? Does Dach go to the wing? Does Suzuki? It's going to be interesting because I don't think we can count on Dach's health going forward. I hope he's healthy - his injuries have been so flukey - but I just don't know.

I also don't think that top line should be set in stone. Scramble things around and see how it works. But Roy should be in the top six next year.

Reactions: Goalfield22

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I still think pigs will fly before we can trade Armia without retention, or taking back a bad contract back. But I'm fine with trading him with retention if we can find a taker, that is only if the plan isn't to trade Anderson or Savard by the TDL with retention. Those 2 are the priorities for me.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Armia is probably fourth or fifth on my list of players who need to go for next season. We won't be looking to retain so he isn't going anywhere.
My guess is both He and Savard are next year TDL moves.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

Beck will be centering our third line when Davis contract is up I would think. What, 2 years?

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I actually think we're going to have a pretty decent top six. Dach is the big mystery box as well as this year's pick.

Dach's injury this year was absolutely tragic. Hopefully the silver lining is the higher ranking in the draft. If Dach can stay healthy, I think he can be a huge difference maker for us. But the draft is the real wildcard. If we landed a center... then what? Does Dach go to the wing? Does Suzuki? It's going to be interesting because I don't think we can count on Dach's health going forward. I hope he's healthy - his injuries have been so flukey - but I just don't know.

I also don't think that top line should be set in stone. Scramble things around and see how it works. But Roy should be in the top six next year.
I would try Dach with Newhook and Roy next year. Even if we draft a high end forward , they’re most like a couple years away before making the jump. If there were to be anything different , The only change for me would be to perhaps play Cole on Dachs line to get easier minutes and hopefully maximize his talent. Roy’s IQ is off the charts. I suspect he will solidify a top six spot next year

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I'm not sold on Beck as a 3c. And will Beck be as good as Monahan?
Money was a seventh overall pick if I remember. His ceiling is higher. Beck is in Danaults mold. I think Beck has the IQ, skating and strength to be a solid shutdown C. And his offensive abailities are underrated bacuse he’s been mostly relied on defensively in his junior career.

My concern with Money is he will most likely get 5 years. While we have Anderson and Gally for three plus years I believe. We have youth that will need to move up in that time and I feel there will be a logjam blocking them like we are seeing with the D

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Money was a seventh overall pick if I remember. His ceiling is higher. Beck is in Danaults mold. I think Beck has the IQ, skating and strength to be a solid shutdown C. And his offensive abailities are underrated bacuse he’s been mostly relied on defensively in his junior career.

My concern with Money is he will most likely get 5 years. While we have Anderson and Gally for three plus years I believe. We have youth that will need to move up in that time and I feel there will be a logjam blocking them like we are seeing with the D
Gallagher and Anderson are signed for 12m$/year through the 2026-2027 season. It hurt looking that up.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's funny that they played together before he left because he really reminds me of Monahan. Smart player, great vision and good physique. Not great natural talent but doing all the little things well, very well rounded. I was calling Monahan the hockey player's hockey player. And if Roy can turn into someone like that by gaining more confidence, that would be great.

And I would not mind re-signing Monahan for that very fact, so Roy can continue a sort of apprenticeship under him.
Misevaluation. Roy is one of the most talented players in the world. Its the sum of his parts that werent great, now hes brouht this up.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Gallagher and Anderson are signed for 12m$/year through the 2026-2027 season. It hurt looking that up.
Right?! Haha. Between those two and DVO we have contracts that are negative value other than filling roster spots. Hopefully Hughes can can move at least one within the year to free some room for up and comers

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If these guys were somewhat producing and not being a liability it would not be so bad but when some of your highest players flat out suck it becomes an issue.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Gallagher is on pace for 14G 26P -36
Anderson is on pace for 10G 24P-27

Cost in real money this season is 16 millions.
They should be on the 4th line while we have them around. Pearson will be off the books for next year. Armia should be traded 50% retained. Same with Dvo.

Keep the top 9 free of the past their expiry date vets. Give the ice time to the youth:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Roy
Ylonen - Monahan - RHP
Gallagher - Evans - Anderson
Pez

Plus Hughes hopefully has a trade or two in the works before training camp.

Last edited:

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
They should be on the 4th line while we have them around. Pearson will be off the books for next year. Armia should be traded 50% retained. Same with Dvo.

Keep the top 9 free of the past their expiry date vets. Give the ice time to the youth:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Roy
Ylonen - Monahan - RHP
Pez

I would be very surprised if Ylonen is given a new contract after this year. The roster is full of holes and he still cannot crack it on a permanent basis. He's supposed to be an offensive player but Pezzetta is more productive that him.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Roy
Ylonen - Monahan - RHP
Pez

Are you denying Dvorak’s existence? :laugh:

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would be very surprised if Ylonen is given a new contract after this year. The roster is full of holes and he still cannot crack it on a permanent basis. He's supposed to be an offensive player but Pezzetta is more productive that him.
Yes, I'm one of the few that still wants to see more of RHP and Ylonen. I'm fine with replacing them with upgrades in young talent. I just don't like watching Armia and Pearson play ahead of them, or even Gallagher, in the top 9.

Are you denying Dvorak’s existence? :laugh:
Traded, as I said in the post you quoted.

Reactions: Gustave

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Yes, I'm one of the few that still wants to see more of RHP and Ylonen. I'm fine with replacing them with upgrades in young talent. I just don't like watching Armia and Pearson play ahead of them, or even Gallagher, in the top 9.

Traded, as I said in the post you quoted.
Trust me, I don’t think he exists either, in the lineup or not, he just doesn’t matter.

Reactions: 26Mats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad