Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Small sample + semi-sheltered and all that, but in 13 games Roy has a 5v5 xGF percentage of almost 64% and a P/60 of 2.14, both of which comfortably lead the Habs.

Its been a while since Montreal has had a player with 5v5 results like that. Roy certainly looks like he can be a long-term piece on this team.

I really like how well rounded his game is. He engages well on the forecheck, he consistently makes smart plays in the neutral zone and he seems to have a decent shot and good vision.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Small sample + semi-sheltered and all that, but in 13 games Roy has a 5v5 xGF percentage of almost 64% and a P/60 of 2.14, both of which comfortably lead the Habs.

Its been a while since Montreal has had a player with 5v5 results like that. Roy certainly looks like he can be a long-term piece on this team.

I really like how well rounded his game is. He engages well on the forecheck, he consistently makes smart plays in the neutral zone and he seems to have a decent shot and good vision.
Very hopeful that he’s going to tune into a really good player for us.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think at worst he'll be a good middle six player. He had too much success everywhere he played to not become at least a good depth guy. He graduated in the LHJMQ at 16 and had immediate success. Dominated the u20. Immediate success in the AHL. That's not the trajectory of a guy who wont be able to play at the NHL level. If he was 5'9 i'd be like meh but he's not small.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I really liked what I see in his last 2 games, this guy have obviously top 6 potential in this league, he reminds me of a Tyler Toffoli type of guy, smart hockey player.

5 points in 12 games, but he should have more. He looks already the best player on his line Newhook and Anderson.
Weird... I've never heard the Toffoli comparison before, but I like it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think at worst he'll be a good middle six player. He had too much success everywhere he played to not become at least a good depth guy. He graduated in the LHJMQ at 16 and had immediate success. Dominated the u20. Immediate success in the AHL. That's not the trajectory of a guy who wont be able to play at the NHL level. If he was 5'9 i'd be like meh but he's not small.
Not only is he not small, he's quite a strong player and should only get stronger. He went from being a prima donna compared to Drouin to a player that can be relied upon all over the ice. Amazing player.

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
Weird... I've never heard the Toffoli comparison before, but I like it.

I don't understand the comparaison with Toffoli to be honest! They are both slow players with a good IQ hockey but it's the only thing they have in common. Toffoli is purely a finisher who find a way to be at the right place at the right time. On another hand, Roy is guy who can create or finish the play and who can play with the puck! Each time Roy will have a option, he will find it! On PP, I play Toffoli in the bumper role or close to the goal and I play Roy on the board but he will be fantastic has a bumper to make the right play!

For me, he is an hybrid between Ribeiro, he can kill with the puck on his stick if they are an open lane, and Toffoli, who can snipe with the puck on his stick. A poor Luc Robitaille playmaker style can be something he became over the years; a guy who is not sexy and who should not be there but because he understand the game at another level he will find a way to be always on the sheet.

With the team we have at the moment, he should be in your top 6 next year because it's the only one who can play hockey outside of the Fantastic 4 and he should be running the second powerplay unit. He already make others around him look bad versus him and I think he will be good enough to drive the third line by himself in a winning mode; a rough diamond who probably devellop too well to have that use at that time!

I know this kid since he have 10, he came from the city next to me, give this guy a chance to play with the puck and he will make it!

Jul 6, 2016
Too bad the veterans wingers on this team fell totally dead (Anderson, Gally, Armia) because Roy should had spent the whole season in Laval and possibly another half.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Too bad the veterans wingers on this team fell totally dead (Anderson, Gally, Armia) because Roy should had spent the whole season in Laval and possibly another half.
I haven't been able to watch, but many have said Roy has been one of the better forwards recently. If he's playing better than Newhook, maybe he can develop well at this level.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Last year I was told RHP was going to be a lock for the top 6 this season, it's hard to predict how these kids will progress or regress.
Yeah I read that a million times. Now people argue his metrics make his lines better. A player that good wouldn't get zero chances with the roster we ice. He's 25 too. I know he's been injured but I'm not sure he is a lock to start the team out of camp next year.

Roy could also regress. Doing it at a younger age is obviously more indicative of NHL talent though. I don't think Roy really needs to be rushed with that many waiver-exempt years left.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I wasn’t one of those people.

And I won’t say Roy’s a lock either. But I like this guy. I’m hopeful that he is a legit top sixer going forward. He’s been really impressive.

He’s been one of our best forwards tonight, infact he’s been one of the better ones the last 3 games or so.

Right now he’s adjusting, and you can see the difference in his play. He’s starting to figure out the timing and he’s using his strong base to protect the puck, making some pretty great passes as well.

I’m extremely confident Roy will be a top-6 winger for us as early as next year. Things to work on for sure, but the IQ is elite.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Call me crazy but I still say Roy is the #1 prospect thid team had and could become our best winger in 3-4 years.

Players with high IQ will always find ways to succeed.

Reactions: Dutronc

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
That shift in the first where he showcased his puck protection skills and then saucered a no look pass off his backhand was ridiculous

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He’s been one of our best forwards tonight, infact he’s been one of the better ones the last 3 games or so.

Right now he’s adjusting, and you can see the difference in his play. He’s starting to figure out the timing and he’s using his strong base to protect the puck, making some pretty great passes as well.

I’m extremely confident Roy will be a top-6 winger for us as early as next year. Things to work on for sure, but the IQ is elite.
He can be very special if he can gain a step off a dead stop.
His hockey IQ is already a step ahead of where his feet can get him to.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I think he'll be a top six but it's too early to know this. And as we're seeing now with Slaf, it's two steps forward one step back in terms of development.

Roy's a little older so that will hopefully help him. But I'm sure he'll have his ups and downs as well. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about him though.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
This is better practice for next year's camp than the AHL would have been for him. Start him in the A next year with the talented players we have coming in and When the NHL spot he is occupying right now is filled for next year( hopefully by some real NHL talent ).

Also, the offense will come with Roy. I wouldn't worry about that. This man is clutch and also a gamer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad