Joshua Leivo

SteveV*

All good, Leivo got a great taste and looked fine. The Leafs now know they have a future NHLer, don't think there is any doubt. Wait until Leivo fills out, he will be a beast on the forecheck I predict...

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Leivo sent down, smith stays up.

Not upset about that.

Going with a raymond-bolland-mcclement checking line until kuly gets back is fine with me.

Nice first impression for leivo, though. He'll be back soon enough and some topline duty in the ahl will be good dor hm in the meantime.
I'd actually prefer Leivo over Smith and Bodie.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Great first stint in the NHL for Leivo.

He's really developed well since his draft and is looking really promising. Didn't expect him to even play this well in his first appearance. Should be a great guy to add to the team in the future.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

Yes, but Leivo for 5-6 minutes a night, playing sparingly with no PP time won't help him develop like 17-20 minutes a night, with PP time, being relied upon will.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
@farwell_ohl 1m
Former #OHLRanger Josh Leivo being returned by Leafs to Steve Spott and the Toronto Marlies as David Clarkson returns to line-up.

:handclap: good job Josh!! go down the road and kick ass with the Marlies, you'll be back up at some point. Definitely a keeper.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I've been really impressed with this kid. I think he's got a solid shot in making the team next year.

I hope he continues to progress on the Marlies. He's definitely our best forward prospect.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leivo has played really well but now getting top minutes on the Marlies in all situations will really help him even more.

I think he needs to dominate in the AHL before really stepping into the NHL.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

He's most definitely a better player than them, no doubt.

But with Clarkson back (and Kulemin soon), I think our 4th line is going to become the least used line in all of hockey.

Line 1: 20mpg
Line 2: 18mpg
Line 3: 17mpg
Line 4: 5mpg

Leivo could benefit from some top-line icetime in the AHL in his first pro season. No need to rush him up just to play 5 minutes per game on a grunt line. If he can dominate in the AHL then we have a ready replacement for one of Kuly or Raymond for next season.....or maybe even for this season, freeing us up to trade one of those guys for help elsewhere.

SteveV*

He's most definitely a better player than them, no doubt.

But with Clarkson back (and Kulemin soon), I think our 4th line is going to become the least used line in all of hockey.

Line 1: 20mpg
Line 2: 18mpg
Line 3: 17mpg
Line 4: 5mpg

Leivo could benefit from some top-line icetime in the AHL in his first pro season. No need to rush him up just to play 5 minutes per game on a grunt line. If he can dominate in the AHL then we have a ready replacement for one of Kuly or Raymond for next season.....or maybe even for this season, freeing us up to trade one of those guys for help elsewhere.

Exactly. It's not like Leivo can't benefit from some AHL time, he is a pro rookie afterall, WAY ahead of what any of us projected this summer. Better to play prime minutes down there than sit on the bench up here. His skillset is wasted on the fourth line anyways.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown

I don't think there's anyone in Toronto who doesn't, but for the marginal improvement he'd provide over those guys in a 4th line role, he's be better off getting minutes at the Ricoh. He'll be back, just not right now when we don't need to force him into the line-up

I've been really impressed with this kid. I think he's got a solid shot in making the team next year.

I hope he continues to progress on the Marlies. He's definitely our best forward prospect.

I think there's a great chance he becomes a regular around the new year. Kulemin is going to be a big addition for us when he comes back, but Leivo provides value as well and should Nonis find a trade that's worth it where Kulemin is on the outs, I don't think he'll hesitate to pull the trigger, especially now that he knows we have guys who can play some minutes on the farm.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
The thing that excites me about this prospect is that he still has a lot of room for improvement. He's somewhat effective in the NHL at 20 in this current raw form. Imagine what he could be in a few years if he's able to improve his skating plus the natural progression that can only come from pro experience.

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
Great move overall imo for sending Leivo down.

Here are my reasons (most are already mentioned, I suppose):

1) He's got top-6 skill. With the skillset that he possess (especially his speed and shot), developing in the AHL playing top-6 minutes is necessary. Much better than staying in the NHL, while playing 5-9 minutes a game.

2) Steve Spott. No one (imo) in this organization knows how to develop Leivo better than Steve Spott, since they go back to last year in the OHL.

3) Growing with the guys. The Marlies are young this year, and most are of Leivo's age-group. They can grow together and develop together just like the Leafs players are doing. This develops chemistry (yeah, I know at least some of them won't make it to the NHL).

4) Winning, scoring, while grinding. Learn the complete game, from defense to offense step-by-step under Steve Spott, who will give him big minutes. You don't get to develop much of an offensive game playing 4th line minutes (or in the pressbox).

5) He's got a taste of the NHL. It will only make him hungrier to come back now that he's sent down again. This may be a "huge" move in terms of developing Leivo's work ethic, confidence and character.

Overall, I've been very impressed with him (other than the check he threw onto Reimer). Got speed, got size, got skill, got instincts. He's a good one, let's just hope he pans out to be the next Lupul that everyone thinks he will become.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Yup, better for him to play bigger minutes in the AHL for now. Will be tough for him to grab a spot in the top 9 next season as well, but if he keeps developing at this rate he might just crack the roster full time.

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
Yup, better for him to play bigger minutes in the AHL for now. Will be tough for him to grab a spot in the top 9 next season as well, but if he keeps developing at this rate he might just crack the roster full time.

I'm actually REALLY surprised at the amount of young guns Carlyle gave chances to so far already. They weren't first rounders either.

Broll.
Devane.
Leivo.

Gosh, they got chances before the likes of Percy, Finn and Biggs did.

Good on Morrison.

Good to get the kids' feet wet, and let them be hungry to play in the NHL.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I'm actually REALLY surprised at the amount of young guns Carlyle gave chances to so far already. They weren't first rounders either.

Broll.
Devane.
Leivo.

Gosh, they got chances before the likes of Percy, Finn and Biggs did.

Good on Morrison.

Good to get the kids' feet wet, and let them be hungry to play in the NHL.

Well, Biggs sucks and Percy and Finn are defenseman, which we haven't needed.

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
Well, Biggs sucks and Percy and Finn are defenseman, which we haven't needed.

I suppose I phrased it in a off-way.

I meant to say good on Leafs' scouting to finally be able to pick up useful/potential players like Broll, Devane and Leivo.

Most teams don't have those young guys to fill in so quickly, drafted out of the later rounds.

This is off-topic, but I'm so excited about Dominic Toninato. I hope he can develop into a top-9 player down the road.

Tyler Biggs*

Bizarre. I though of all the Marlies callups (Bodie, Broll, Smith), Leivo was the most effective.

Would have kept Leivo and sent down Smith or Bodie.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Leivo's better off on a top line role with the Marlies and not a 4th line grinding type role with the Leafs IMO

Similar to Ashton, who has some (not the same) offensive upside that needs to be development in the AHL .. Leivo had an awesome start to his career though, I think we have a good player in the long run

Bodie and Smith are effective fill-in 4th liners that really don't have much of a higher ceiling to produce offense

Probably looking at lines like this tomorrow:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
McClement - Bolland - Raymond
Orr - Smith - Bodie

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
Leivo's better off on a top line role with the Marlies and not a 4th line grinding type role with the Leafs IMO

Similar to Ashton, who has some (not the same) offensive upside that needs to be development in the AHL .. Leivo had an awesome start to his career though, I think we have a good player in the long run

Bodie and Smith are effective fill-in 4th liners that really don't have much of a higher ceiling to produce offense

Probably looking at lines like this tomorrow:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
McClement - Bolland - Raymond
Orr - Smith - Bodie

I'd rather have,

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Leivo - Bolland - Raymond
Orr - McClement - McLaren

When Kule comes back then..

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Clarkson - Bolland - Raymond
Orr - McClement - McLaren

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Someone needed to start the Josh Leivo hype-train, so I'm taking the initiative to get it going.

His playing style reminds me of a Lupul/ Giroux hybrid.

More of a Datsyuk/Hull hybrid IMO ;)

Played well. Showed good instincts on his goal. Could start on the 3rd line as soon as next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad