Joshua Leivo

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
image.jpg

Someone needed to start the Josh Leivo hype-train, so I'm taking the initiative to get it going.

His playing style reminds me of a Lupul/ Giroux hybrid. He has more then enough hockey sense to become an exceptional PKer/ defensive player/ 3rd liner at this age. If we can slowly transition him into the NHL, I am positive that we can get an excellent 2 way power forward out of him.

He's got absolutely everything in his repertoire, his shot is exceptional, his vision is extremely underrated and his hustle is his bread and butter. I hope he can build up the confidence and find some chemistry with Bolland or Kadri.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I think as he matures and develops, he'll make it even sweeter, getting Bernier with Frattin in the deal. I really liked Frattin, but we're reaping the benefits of two solid goaltenders, and Leivo has show intensity to his game, and goes to the dirty areas like Frattin did.

I really liked seeing him play for Sudbury in Windsor, and he's a fun player to keep an eye on at this level as well. He plays hungry, and that's what I've really noticed so far.

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
Kid is an absolute beast. Really would have liked to see him score that goal today.

What a beauty play that was. Kid can really fire the puck. Also Bowen had some classic Bowen comments:

"Josh Leivo shares the same dentist as Stephen Weiss...must be good for whistling"

Stay classy Joe

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
Kessel - Bozak - JVR
Clarkson - Kadri - Lupul
Kulemin - Bolland - Raymond
Leivo - McClement - Broll/Orr/McLaren

PK: Bozak, JVR, Bolland, Kule, Raymond, McClement, Leivo
PP: Bozo, Kess, JVR, Lupul, Clarky, Raymond, Bolland

We have a ton of versatility with that forward group. Great finishers offensively, with the exception of Kessel + goon, almost all the players are above average 2 way players.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I think he can be a really solid 2nd liner for us in a couple years. Reminds me so much of Lupul and almost sniped one home tonight as well (really wish that went in)

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Kessel - Bozak - JVR
Clarkson - Kadri - Lupul

We have a ton of versatility with that forward group. Great finishers offensively, with the exception of Kessel + goon, almost all the players are above average 2 way players.

Rather send Leivo down and let him work on his offensive game in the AHL than have him play 5 minutes a night. Besides I've really liked Bodie's hustle.

I'm a huge Leivo fan, have been for years. This kid looks like he can play the 3rd line role right now. Great hustle, committed to playing a 200 FT game, and has nice upside to go along with that. If he can add in a little more speed to his game and we're patient with him I think he'll be a top 6 player for us.

Reminds me of Stafford back when he didn't suck.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
Rather send Leivo down and let him work on his offensive game in the AHL than have him play 5 minutes a night. Besides I've really liked Bodie's hustle.

I'm a huge Leivo fan, have been for years. This kid looks like he can play the 3rd line role right now. Great hustle, committed to playing a 200 FT game, and has nice upside to go along with that. If he can add in a little more speed to his game and we're patient with him I think he'll be a top 6 player for us.

Reminds me of Stafford back when he didn't suck.

I think playing 10 mins a game in the NHL would be more beneficial for him than playing 20 in the AHL. He doesn't have any glaring holes in his game. I believe that the AHL should be used to better a players game that cannot be done otherwise at the NHL level. Of course, considering that the player is good enough to hack it in the NHL.

Leivo to me is a complementary player at this point in time. He allows us the luxury of lightening the defensive load on Kulemin, Raymond, etc. Him and McClement could very easily play on the 3rd line and on the PK. If he starts to suck and or is constantly benched then obviously we can send him down and let him figure it out in the AHL.

He's earned his shot so far and in my eyes he has been more noticeable than Bodie, Ashton, Orr, Devane or anyone else put on that 3rd/4th line wing. Only person I can fathom playing over him would be someone like Broll but I think Broll is the perfect example of a player who can benefit immensely in developing his offensive game/ 2way game playing 20+ mins in the AHL.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I think playing 10 mins a game in the NHL would be more beneficial for him than playing 20 in the AHL. He doesn't have any glaring holes in his game. I believe that the AHL should be used to better a players game that cannot be done otherwise at the NHL level. Of course, considering that the player is good enough to hack it in the NHL.

Leivo to me is a complementary player at this point in time. He allows us the luxury of lightening the defensive load on Kulemin, Raymond, etc. Him and McClement could very easily play on the 3rd line and on the PK. If he starts to suck and or is constantly benched then obviously we can send him down and let him figure it out in the AHL.

He's earned his shot so far and in my eyes he has been more noticeable than Bodie, Ashton, Orr, Devane or anyone else put on that 3rd/4th line wing. Only person I can fathom playing him over would be someone like Broll but I think Broll is the perfect example of a player who can benefit immensely in developing his offensive game/ 2way game playing 20+ mins in the AHL.

Our 4th line averaged no where close to 10 minutes. And it isn't a matter about him going back to work on glaring holes. It's a matter of right now he's an average 3rd liner with good upside. Why not go down and let him build his confidence, get used to the rigors of a pro schedule, and play important minutes at a high level? Going to the AHL is more beneficial for his game then dumping and chasing and riding the pine.

Why wait until he sucks? If we sent him down now he'd be able to hold his head up high and be happy with how he played here. He improved every game, had a good night today, got a taste of the pros and got some practices in with the big boys. Why wait until we show him that he isn't ready to constantly play at this level that we send him down. "Oh you're useless now, cya!"

He has been more noticeable, no doubt. But why would you want to play a good offensive prospect on the 4th line? Orr has been playing markedly better hockey this year, I understand fans want fourth liners who can play but he makes the smart play 9/10 times and sticks up for the boys. Bodie has been fine too, skates weirdly but moves along quick and he hits. I think that 4th line will be between Smith/McLaren/Orr/Broll/Ashton/Bodie for the 2 spots. Do you notice a pattern? None of them have high upside.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
Our 4th line averaged no where close to 10 minutes. And it isn't a matter about him going back to work on glaring holes. It's a matter of right now he's an average 3rd liner with good upside. Why not go down and let him build his confidence, get used to the rigors of a pro schedule, and play important minutes at a high level? Going to the AHL is more beneficial for his game then dumping and chasing and riding the pine.

Why wait until he sucks? If we sent him down now he'd be able to hold his head up high and be happy with how he played here. He improved every game, had a good night today, got a taste of the pros and got some practices in with the big boys. Why wait until we show him that he isn't ready to constantly play at this level that we send him down. "Oh you're useless now, cya!"

He has been more noticeable, no doubt. But why would you want to play a good offensive prospect on the 4th line? Orr has been playing markedly better hockey this year, I understand fans want fourth liners who can play but he makes the smart play 9/10 times and sticks up for the boys. Bodie has been fine too, skates weirdly but moves along quick and he hits. I think that 4th line will be between Smith/McLaren/Orr/Broll/Ashton/Bodie for the 2 spots. Do you notice a pattern? None of them have high upside.

I get what you're saying and for the most part I agree with you. With our full roster back, he's got no room realistically to play an impact role but banking on the fact that there will be injuries, I think he should be the first one to be called upon to come and fill in.

I'm just giddy seeing him with the Leafs right now. I want him to continue his rise to becoming an impact player, it's just harder to see him do that via the AHL route. I can't believe we have finally achieved this but our current roster has too much depth. If this was 2-3 years ago, Leivo would have a cakewalk into our top 9.

I really don't want to derail the thread but if we can solid play out of Leivo in the first half of the season, I wouldn't be opposed to moving out Kule or MayRay for a solid stay at home D-man or stud prospect. We've got enough pieces offensively and defensively to cover our *****. Plus we could always use the extra cap space.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I get what you're saying and for the most part I agree with you. With our full roster back, he's got no room realistically to play an impact role but banking on the fact that there will be injuries, I think he should be the first one to be called upon to come and fill in.

I'm just giddy seeing him with the Leafs right now. I want him to continue his rise to becoming an impact player, it's just harder to see him do that via the AHL route. I can't believe we have finally achieved this but our current roster has too much depth. If this was 2-3 years ago, Leivo would have a cakewalk into our top 9.

I really don't want to derail the thread but if we can solid play out of Leivo in the first half of the season, I wouldn't be opposed to moving out Kule or MayRay for a solid stay at home D-man or stud prospect. We've got enough pieces offensively and defensively to cover our *****. Plus we could always use the extra cap space.

How true man! That's a good thing though :). I'm glad a lot of our prospects are finally making an impact, we went through a little dry spell in terms of graduation for a bit.

The Hockey Life

Feb 27, 2011
Leafs Nation
When we get healthy I hope he gets sent down as well. Don't want to limit him to 4th line minutes. Always a good injury call-up if a forward gets hurt, and could be Kulemin or Raymond's replacement next season. Although, I hope we keep Raymond.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
When we get healthy I hope he gets sent down as well. Don't want to limit him to 4th line minutes. Always a good injury call-up if a forward gets hurt, and could be Kulemin or Raymond's replacement next season. Although, I hope we keep Raymond.

Amen. Raymond, surprisingly, has been making more of an impact than I had first thought he would. Kudos to Nonis and Co. For that beauty signing.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
His skating isnt even that bad. Sure he isnt a burner or the most gifted skater but he gets to where he needs to be.

His hands and hockeysense have been whats impressed me most.

He could definitely play on this team THIS season but sending him down is prolly more beneficial for his longterm growth.

Looks like just a fabulous mid round selection by Morrison and CO.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
Kessel - Bozak - JVR
Clarkson - Kadri - Lupul

great lines, the only thing hes missing is strength and the skills will develop

and why u put everyone on their wrong wings

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am not surprised how Josh has played, anyone who saw him at Kitchener would know he was probably our best player of the 2011 draft last year. Great pick.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It was nice to see him get some playing time.

He probably knows better today what it will take to become a NHL player.

He'll benefit from playing in the minors.

Give him some AHL time, I think this kid can finish to be a regular top 6 player, his skating has improved and will keep getting better under Underhill.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The kid belongs for sure. But once we're healthy i'll have no problem seeing him spend most of the year in the minors. He'll slide perfectly into a third line wing spot next year, and will be challenging for 2nd lne duty soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad