Joshua Leivo

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Played hockey with him growing up and to see him at this level is beyond surprising. Very impressive a kid who made it based on hard work !

Hoping he replaces kulemin

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Played hockey with him growing up and to see him at this level is beyond surprising. Very impressive a kid who made it based on hard work !

I enjoyed watching him play with the Wolves. Two years ago a lot people were saying his number were inflated by playing with Sgarbossa, but I knew he could keep it up, and sure enough last year he did. I was sad to see him traded at the deadline but it was pretty clear he was going to be moved to a contender. Fortunately that contender was my 'other' OHL team :)

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010

I just don't expect him to be back for some reason.

Tyler Biggs*

Guess they are keeping Leivo up then. That guy seemed pretty good on the forecheck vs Chicago.

SteveV*

He's isn't remotely like Kulemin.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
He's isn't remotely like Kulemin.

unfortunately, even Kulemin isnt/hasnt been remotely like Kulemin. Not sure he will recapture his offensive output of a few seasons ago, while still maintaining his aggressive forecheck and high-motor.

Part of me still thinks at some point Kuli will end up with the Pens playing alongside Malkin. This was probably more attractive to the Pens when he was scoring 30, but you never know.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Kind of reminds me of Matt Read. 3rd line scoring winger who can fill in on the 2nd if necessary.

Anyone else?

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
unfortunately, even Kulemin isnt/hasnt been remotely like Kulemin. Not sure he will recapture his offensive output of a few seasons ago, while still maintaining his aggressive forecheck and high-motor.

Part of me still thinks at some point Kuli will end up with the Pens playing alongside Malkin. This was probably more attractive to the Pens when he was scoring 30, but you never know.

During the lockout last year Malkin was on a line with Kulemin in the KHL and that was widely regarded as the most dangerous line in the league

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He reminds me of a guy like Silfverberg.

Or, for a more veteran name, a guy like Ryder.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
He reminds me of a guy like Silfverberg.

Or, for a more veteran name, a guy like Ryder.

Ryder is one hell of a player but I don't agree with this comparison. Ryder is a player who lives off of being in the right spot at the right time. Leivo is a relentless puck hound. He had one of the most active sticks in the OHL and more times then not he would create turnovers by his amazing forechecking. Leivo in my mind is very close to a 2009-2010 Claude Giroux. He'll wreck havoc on the PK, can play pp if needed but is the ideal 2nd/3rd line tweener. With proper development I think we can groom him into a Lupul/ Giroux type player (Giroux with crappier hands however).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah, I can actually see the giroux style comparison at least. obviously not the same calibre of talent though.

crazyaces**

Can't we just have both playing on the same team!:)

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I hear this sort of thing all of the time but has anyone had a credible source regarding it?

Did anybody had a credible source Clarkson was gonna be a Leafs ? Yet 95% of HFboards knew it was gonna happen.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Did anybody had a credible source Clarkson was gonna be a Leafs ? Yet 95% of HFboards knew it was gonna happen.

i dont think thats a similar situation at all. A lot of my friends are buddies with Clarkson and he was pretty set on the leafs. Theres obviously the hometown connection.

The only connection kulemin has to pittsburgh is that he played on malkin's line like 6 years ago in Russia. Don't think thats a very convincing argument, but thats just me

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
i dont think thats a similar situation at all. A lot of my friends are buddies with Clarkson and he was pretty set on the leafs. Theres obviously the hometown connection.

The only connection kulemin has to pittsburgh is that he played on malkin's line like 6 years ago in Russia. Don't think thats a very convincing argument, but thats just me

And then he went back to play on Malkin's line during this lockout, displaying excellent chemistry.

They're good friends. Malkin has said some glowing things about Kulemin.

Mapleleafs Fan*

I would suggest a trade for Kulemin with Pittsburgh and lets get some picks or a solid prospect for him. These are my main reasons.

1. 2.8 mil salary space to me is best for leafs to have some options in coming season.

2. Josh Leivo is showing his hunger to achieve a place at NHL level. I see tremendous work ethics in this kid and his willingness to become something important is more important to me.

3. Having good picks or good prospects with this cap system is always a + for our team in future.

The main reason Pittsburgh would do this trade even if they have to give the 1st rounder is that they want to improve their chances for the cup run. They're almost there but need some pieces and 27-30th pick for Kulemin is not that bad deal for them.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Really liking this kid but the Leafs need Kulemin back in the lineup. Leafs should be giving Leivo top six minutes on the Marlies

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Really liking this kid but the Leafs need Kulemin back in the lineup. Leafs should be giving Leivo top six minutes on the Marlies

I would try and find a spot for him in the lineup with or without kulemin. Even if it's 4th line, Carlyle turns to that line quite a lot. He has clearly proven he can play nhl minutes and I don't see the advantage of sending him down. Even for his development I think nhl minute even if limited is best for him

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
@farwell_ohl 1m
Former #OHLRanger Josh Leivo being returned by Leafs to Steve Spott and the Toronto Marlies as David Clarkson returns to line-up.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
@farwell_ohl 1m
Former #OHLRanger Josh Leivo being returned by Leafs to Steve Spott and the Toronto Marlies as David Clarkson returns to line-up.

Nice. He played well, but playing on a top line, putting up numbers and gaining confidence at the pro level is what I think he should be doing right now. He's got some momentum, this should help it continue.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Leivo sent down, smith stays up.

Not upset about that.

Going with a raymond-bolland-mcclement checking line until kuly gets back is fine with me.

Nice first impression for leivo, though. He'll be back soon enough and some topline duty in the ahl will be good dor hm in the meantime.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
@farwell_ohl 1m

Not sure if I am liking this. I see Leivo as a smart cerebral type player. He is going to be awfully lonely down with the Marlies forwards.

Notwithstanding the fact that he might get concussed by some roided out AHL tweener. MacWilliam took the worst elbow I have seen in 40 years of watching hockey last year with the Marlies and it didn't even get a penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad