Player Discussion: Joshua Bailey

What should we do with Bailey?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
My poll, and posters here vote. Sorry the results don't agree with your taek on a passionless waste of a uniform. You're just gunna cherry pick stats for when he was playing with Tavares, eh? Typical. By himself he is a zero. (We see this nearly every game). When he plays with others who do the work, he gets points. Just like I would if I played with JT.

Why was he scratched? :)

f***ing FASCHING has more drive, passion, and energy than Bailey. Fasching, Zeeker, and Clutterbuck ALL DAY over Bailey.

Keep watching. Maybe one day you'll see.
What a hot taek! LOL

He was scratched because he has clearly regressed this season and as a result is playing a lesser role under this coaching staff. I thought I agreed with you on that point already. Would you like to ask the question again? (hint: you will get the same answer from me).

Cherry pick stats? Huh? I'm talking about our last three playoff seasons where he excelled. Playing with Tavares???? In the 2018-2019, 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 seasons???

Yeah I'm done here.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Well...been a Bailey fan since day one, but his time has come and gone.

I would buy him out or just send him down when the time comes. For now though, through the remainder of the year, he is good to have and should be an extra forward.

So no need to do anything right now. But in the off-season, it is time, as it is for most players approaching this time in their careers.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Well...been a Bailey fan since day one, but his time has come and gone.

I would buy him out or just send him down when the time comes. For now though, through the remainder of the year, he is good to have and should be an extra forward.

So no need to do anything right now. But in the off-season, it is time, as it is for most players approaching this time in their careers.
He's only 33.

• Haha
Reactions: Lek and Zeeker

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
He's only 33.

Yes and it's sad how much he has regressed at just 33.
The Coaching staff (that I will admit I bash often) agrees that there are better options on the team. Bailey gets the benefit of the doubt because he is an "Old Hand" and a "Good Soldier" from a lot of fans. But clearly his stick is where offensive plays "Go To Die". He seems to have lost lots of speed and does not get separation from defenders. #12 seems useful still on the PK especially when we are playing a "Passive PK" Style lol.

Reactions: Bones45 and MJF

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Yes and it's sad how much he has regressed at just 33.
The Coaching staff (that I will admit I bash often) agrees that there are better options on the team. Bailey gets the benefit of the doubt because he is an "Old Hand" and a "Good Soldier" from a lot of fans. But clearly his stick is where offensive plays "Go To Die". He seems to have lost lots of speed and does not get separation from defenders. #12 seems useful still on the PK especially when we are playing a "Passive PK" Style lol.
Don't disagree. I was just pointing out his age because the poster above referenced "players this time in their careers." This isn't a 43 year old Chara who should be put out to pasture.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Don't disagree. I was just pointing out his age because the poster above referenced "players this time in their careers." This isn't a 43 year old Chara who should be put out to pasture.
Ya ever see that guy....you look at them and go...."hope i do not look that bad when i am 60".... only later to find out he is like 48.....there ya go. :nod:

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.

Yes, your right.... But he is 1 year younger to when Brad Richards got bought out by the Strangers... Some players hit a wall I guess...

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Just trying to see where everyone lands on our #12. Pretty sure we all know how I feel.
It bothers me when anyone describes another human being as trash. He is a good person from all accounts and has been a good player for the Islanders for most of his career. Whether he should be traded, benched, played on the first line vs fourth line is debatable, but he is not trash.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
It bothers me when anyone describes another human being as trash. He is a good person from all accounts and has been a good player for the Islanders for most of his career. Whether he should be traded, benched, played on the first line vs fourth line is debatable, but he is not trash.

He may very well be. I've never met him.

I think you are missing the point here.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
He skates like he’s 43.

On the other hand, Zach Parise is 39 and skates like he’s 29.

Age is relative. Bailey’s skills have eroded to the point where he’s largely unplayable. Parise’s skills have not.
Parise looked like that his last year in Minnesota too. He had a very diminished role and was a regular healthy scratch. Even in the playoffs. And it's not like the Wild were loaded offensively. He's definitely rejuvenated here.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Parise looked like that his last year in Minnesota too. He had a very diminished role and was a regular healthy scratch. Even in the playoffs. And it's not like the Wild were loaded offensively. He's definitely rejuvenated here.
Bailey is going to be a harder sell to other teams hoping he finds the fountain of middle age. Parise had a better body of work to go on. The back of Bailey's hockey card? Meh.

If Josh Bailey wants to keep playing, should the Islanders release him, I could see Bails having to take a PTO somewhere else.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Bailey is going to be a harder sell to other teams hoping he finds the fountain of middle age. Parise had a better body of work to go on. The back of Bailey's hockey card? Meh.

If Josh Bailey wants to keep playing, should the Islanders release him, I could see Bails having to take a PTO somewhere else.
Oh I 100% agree with you that an aging Parise was/is way more attractive to teams than an aging Bailey.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011

He would not need a PTO. He is still at 0.40 PPG this season. He is a young veteran with no baggage... a ton of teams would take him at a pay cut.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He would not need a PTO. He is still at 0.40 PPG this season. He is a young veteran with no baggage... a ton of teams would take him at a pay cut.
I don't think so. 0.40ppg smacks of mediocrity, and the more ice time he gets the worse his stats will be. I believe Bailey will be getting prove-it contract offers should Lou buy him out and he still wants to play after that.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I don't think so. 0.40ppg smacks of mediocrity, and the more ice time he gets the worse his stats will be. I believe Bailey will be getting prove-it contract offers should Lou buy him out and he still wants to play after that.
Maybe he gets a chance somewhere maybe not.. He is a .41 PPG this year being in and out of the line up, injured and playing on different lines. Last year he had an awful first half then had covid/injured, but actually finished well and fell 1 point shy of being over .600 PPG for the 6th straight year ( 0.600 ppg is roughly 50 points per 82) .

Maybe his game is in free fall, maybe it is a combination of age and injuries (Matt Martin had a resurgence this year, I incorrectly thought he was toast after last year. Sorry Matt). I do not disagree that it will make sense to move on from him, if we can, in the off season, given his cap hit and our need to start getting some youth (he makes the most sense to go), but I do not think it is beyond reason to think someone gives him a prove it contract as a bottom 6, if we do buy him out.

Bailey's Games played and points per game last 7 years
16-17 82GP .683 PPG
17-18. 78GP. .934 PPG (year he played full season with Tavares)
18-19 82 GP .683 PPG
19-20 68 GP. .632 PPG
20-21 54 GP. .648 PPG (covid y ear short season)
21-22 74 GP. .595 PPG
22-23 61 GP. .401 PPG

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
“I didn’t think I was playing poorly. At the same time, decisions are made and I respect that."

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Maybe he gets a chance somewhere maybe not.. He is a .41 PPG this year being in and out of the line up, injured and playing on different lines. Last year he had an awful first half then had covid/injured, but actually finished well and fell 1 point shy of being over .600 PPG for the 6th straight year ( 0.600 ppg is roughly 50 points per 82) .

Maybe his game is in free fall, maybe it is a combination of age and injuries (Matt Martin had a resurgence this year, I incorrectly thought he was toast after last year. Sorry Matt). I do not disagree that it will make sense to move on from him, if we can, in the off season, given his cap hit and our need to start getting some youth (he makes the most sense to go), but I do not think it is beyond reason to think someone gives him a prove it contract as a bottom 6, if we do buy him out.

Bailey's Games played and points per game last 7 years
16-17 82GP .683 PPG
17-18. 78GP. .934 PPG (year he played full season with Tavares)
18-19 82 GP .683 PPG
19-20 68 GP. .632 PPG
20-21 54 GP. .648 PPG (covid y ear short season)
21-22 74 GP. .595 PPG
22-23 61 GP. .401 PPG
I think it’s more likely that Bailey goes the way of James Neal. Some PTO’s to make a team and then eventually a trip to the minors and he just fades away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad