Value of: Josh Norris to PHI

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Flyers need a 2C that has some potential to be a 1C.

Stutz and Pinto look like the top two centers for Ottawa, with Greig being an above average 3C, which leaves an overpaid center in Norris.

Norris is having a more normal year compared to his 20% Shot year 2 seasons ago where he potted 35 goals. Ottawa may have reason to move him, what would it cost?

From a Flyers perspective, Flyers fans may wonder if there's any difference between him and Frost in terms of upside.

Wonder if there is a fit here for a price Flyers and Sens can both agree on,

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Stutz and Pinto look like the top two centers for Ottawa, with Greig being an above average 3C, which leaves an overpaid center in Norris.

Norris is having a more normal year compared to his 20% Shot year 2 seasons ago where he potted 35 goals. Ottawa may have reason to move him, what would it cost?

From a Flyers perspective, Flyers fans may wonder if there's any difference between him and Frost in terms of upside.

A potential 1C doesn’t describe Josh Norris, so, no.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
A potential top line wing didn't describe Tippett upon acquisition, either. Danny and crew will need to find some shrewd deals if they're determined to never completely bottom out/

Reactions: Skid

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A potential top line wing didn't describe Tippett upon acquisition, either. Danny and crew will need to find some shrewd deals if they're determined to never completely bottom out/
They didn’t have to commit to Tippett upon trading for him though.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Flawed logic.

last year he had a major injury that takes 2 full years to get back to 100%

he’s playing a little less in a 3rd line role this year

it would cost a lot more than Frost.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
While I have been hard on Norris all year long, he may have turned a page recently. I think the Sens would be selling him at an all-time low if he were traded now.

Prior to his shoulder injury, he looked like a good 2C with the ability to swap in as a 1 when need be. I still feel he's a better RW than a center but he's defensively responsible to I think they like him there.

Realistically, the Sens major need is a good RD or a good goalie. I think it'd likely take Bonk at least, and I can see Philly's hesitancy in letting a good prospect go for an 8 mill 2nd liner.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
As a sens fan, Norris is an enigma.

When he's on he looks like an excellent 1B/2A clutch two-way scoring centre that is worth every penny of his salary.

When he's off, he loses his edge and looks like a $4M player that is primarily a one timer option.

This season it's been a coin toss as to which version we get each game.

He's still not 100% recovered from his shoulder injury so I'm hoping he goes back to the consistency he showed earlier in his career once he does.

But there's a risk that he doesn't, so if we deal him I don't expect a big return due to his contract and the other team taking that risk.

If the sens deal him I think they'd be looking for a #3/#4 RHD in a similar situation coming back, or maybe some futures if they feel they can land that dman in free agency.

Trading for him now could be very shrewd or a relatively big mistake. It's really hard to say which.

Reactions: SensFactor and bert

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
A good trade is when both teams feel a little uncomfortable with what they gave away. I think that sounds applicable here.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Would rather just move him to the wing and let him focus on shooting the puck. Don't see Ottawa moving him after a down year post-shoulder surgery (still on a 27 goal pace). He spent 9 months prior to October rehabbing the shoulder, I bet he regains his form as a true 1B to Stutzle next year. If not then Pinto and Greig fit real well at 2C and 3C long term.

If they were to trade him and it was Philly, the conversation starts with Bonk, for obvious reasons.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He's the opposite of a Torts guy, would be scratched 5 games into the season.
Horrid take go home. When at his best he is a great two way C that can take heavy matchups. Did it for an entire season when he was a rookie when he was getting Mcdavid, Scheifele, Matthews and Petterson almost every game. He's working through a bad injury and alot of time off, has had a few really good games in a row.

Would be silly for Ottawa to trade him now at his lowest value.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

He had 35 goals in 66 games last year before he got injured.

Is he a guaranteed 1C? Nope, but if he continues to recover after his shoulder surgery he could go back to being a solid 1B/2A center.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Now explain again how Giroux is a one-dimensional forward.
Horrid take go home. When at his best he is a great two way C that can take heavy matchups. Did it for an entire season when he was a rookie when he was getting Mcdavid, Scheifele, Matthews and Petterson almost every game. He's working through a bad injury and alot of time off, has had a few really good games in a row.

Would be silly for Ottawa to trade him now at his lowest value.

What a typically-uninformed take from you lol
It's amazing how the Senators have all these great Two-Way high producing players and still suck. Never seen a fanbase so in denial about very basic premises, lol.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It's amazing how the Senators have all these great Two-Way high producing players and still suck. Never seen a fanbase so in denial about very basic premises, lol.
Which of the guys described as two-way do you disagree with?

Edit: And btw we suck because of defence and goaltending, not the forwards.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Based on this argument, we can assume Torts would hate every player on the Sens.

Pretty stupid, huh?

Also, no one says Ottawa has all these great two way high producing players. I can point to maybe 4 or 5 players on Ottawa who I have seen described as "good two way players". Making up a stupid counter-argument to your stupid argument doesnt make your argument less stupid.

Reactions: bert

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He had 35 goals in 66 games last year before he got injured.

Is he a guaranteed 1C? Nope, but if he continues to recover after his shoulder surgery he could go back to being a solid 1B/2A center.
If I’m gonna be paying him almost $8m for another 7 years, I’m knowing what he is before the trade and not after.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If I’m gonna be paying him almost $8m for another 7 years, I’m knowing what he is before the trade and not after.

That's why the best trading partner would be with another team that has a player who may or may not recover fully from injury.

The risk is shared on both sides.

Otherwise you're just tossing him for pennies on the dollar.

Reactions: bert and FlyguyOX

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Fair enough, but you said he doesn't have 1C potential, not that he wasn't a smart trade option.

I'd argue a player who puts up 35G and paces for 44G in his sophomore year absolutely does have 1C potential.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Based on this argument, we can assume Torts would hate every player on the Sens.

Pretty stupid, huh?

Also, no one says Ottawa has all these great two way high producing players. I can point to maybe 4 or 5 players on Ottawa who I have seen described as "good two way players". Making up a stupid counter-argument to your stupid argument doesnt make your argument less stupid.
Norris has been plagued with inconsistent effort and disappearing for long stretches before one timing a few on the powerplay. He is a Lainie lite player and Lainie pro was frequently in the Torts doghouse. It’s just not a great fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00