Player Discussion Josh Norris C 6’1”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pageau had 29 points in 69 games at 20.
I was going by age at the start of the season (hockey db version) pageau turned 21 early. 2013 14 season while norris will have to go deep in the playoffs to turn 21.

To be clear, Pageau did what Norris is doing while being 6 months older than Norris.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clayonator

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'd rank the pieces in that order :

1) 1st in 2020 (if EK don't extend with them, which I have a feeling he won't, that pick could be in the lotto as I think this team is about to decline)
2) Rudolf Balcers
3) Josh Norris
4) Chris Tierney
5) 2nd in 2019 (highest one from SJ or Florida)
6) Conditional 2nd (if EK extends), possible additional 1st (if they reach the SCF in 2019), which could end up lotto too
7) Dylan Demelo (maybe ~6th round pick value)
8) Conditional 1st (if they trade EK back to the East) : this one have very little value because it won't happen. Sharks will make sure to not trade him to an Eastern team if they have to trade him. They can't afford to lose another 1st on top of a 1st that could be lotto, 2 of their best prospects, a 2nd and Tierney just for a rental that wouldn't go in the playoffs with them.

That's a pretty big haul for a rental. What is sad is we had to trade EK as a rental, instead of keeping him as a core piece or at the very least trade him when you have a team he'd agree to sign an extension with. Also hate the fact that there was no D-man prospect coming back. Need that a lot more of that than more good/decent forward prospects, which we already have a ton of IMO.

Sharks went all in but if EK walks, it could turn out pretty bad for them.

What are you talking about brah?

Reactions: Pinto22

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I remember watching the Norris draft, and he got pulled up onto the set with Jamie and Jeff O’Neil(?). Looking at his highlights, his personal path to hockey, level of development and thinking ‘this kid screams Senators success story, exploitive!’

I can’t wait to see what this guy can do after a few more seasons of growth and development. Could be a real gem.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
His production is very impressive. Would be huge if he ends up a top 2 center.

With him and Balcers breaking out big time, and the SJ 1st possibly ending up top 10 (maybe top 5), the Karlsson return looks like it's going to end up being a lot better than it looked at the time the trade was made.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Just noticed the views on this thread vs the 350 posts... :eek:

Josh must garnering some attention.

upload_2020-1-6_20-32-44.png

Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
His production is very impressive. Would be huge if he ends up a top 2 center.

With him and Balcers breaking out big time, and the SJ 1st possibly ending up top 10 (maybe top 5), the Karlsson return looks like it's going to end up being a lot better than it looked at the time the trade was made.
DeMelo shot up in value too, from throw in not even worthy of qualifying by SJ to valued top 6 dman that might garner a decent return in a trade or be re-signed.

Only piece that hasn't increased in value is Tierney i suppose.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
DeMelo shot up in value too, from throw in not even worthy of qualifying by SJ to valued top 6 dman that might garner a decent return in a trade or be re-signed.

Only piece that hasn't increased in value is Tierney i suppose.
I think he maintained and demonstrated consistency.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Norris is an excellent prospect, and will be a solid player for us. How ever, expecting a legit 2nd liner (consistent 60 point player) will leave you disappointed.

But, you never know, anything can happen. Realistically I don't think he will be a 60 point 2nd line center

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Norris is an excellent prospect, and will be a solid player for us. How ever, expecting a legit 2nd liner (consistent 60 point player) will leave you disappointed.

But, you never know, anything can happen. Realistically I don't think he will be a 60 point 2nd line center

Why not though?

At this point in time he is just as likely to become a consistent 2nd line centre than to not become a 2nd line centre, you are basing that opinion off nothing concrete.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

A legit 2nd liner is a consistent 45-50 point player, not a consistent 60 point player. Pretty big difference.

In the entire NHL, scorers #72-74 of last year had exactly 60 points, and that's including dmen (there were 5 in the top 74 scorers).

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
A legit 2nd liner is a consistent 45-50 point player, not a consistent 60 point player. Pretty big difference.

In the entire NHL, scorers #72-74 of last year had exactly 60 points, and that's including dmen (there were 5 in the top 74 scorers).

Legit first liners are putting up 70-80 + points now

2nd liners are 50-60 range.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
How many teams have 3 players on their top line scoring more than 70 points, and all 3 player on the second line scoring 50-60?

I don’t thinks it’s reasonable to expect that many points on each of the top two lines. Maybe one or if you’re lucky two guys like that on each line, but those don’t seem like realistic cut off points for top six players the league over.

Edit: there were 99 forwards in the league that scored 50 points or more. There are 186 top six positions in the league. Obviously there are injuries and all kinds of other ‘events’ but at that basic level, only half of the leagues top six players meet your top six player criteria.

An example would be the cup winners. They have exactly 3 forwards who meet your top six points criteria, and only one of them had over 70 points. Looks like they won the cup with a woefully inadequate top six. It might also be interesting to note that after their epic season TBay had a top line that meets the points criteria, but apparently no second line to speak of. Pitts was a little better with 4 top line forwards and no second line players, while poor old Ottawa had a couple of second line players in Duchene and Stone, and nothing else to speak of.

Your points criteria is way off as a form of cut off to what makes a top 6 player both in terms of league-wide scoring, and in specific top teams in the league.

Drop each of those ranges by 10, and get rid of the top vs 2nd line requirements, and you start to represent a more encompassing view of how top six players the league over score, whether they are complementary players on a scoring line with elite players, or are elite players on a second scoring line.

Last edited:
Reactions: h2owned

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

For wingers maybe. Legitimate 2nd line centres should be putting up at least 50 points unless they’re getting carried by their wingers.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
How many teams have 3 players on their top line scoring more than 70 points, and all 3 player on the second line scoring 50-60?

I don’t thinks it’s reasonable to expect that many points on each of the top two lines. Maybe one or if you’re lucky two guys like that on each line, but those don’t seem like realistic cut off points for top six players the league over.

Edit: there were 99 forwards in the league that scored 50 points or more. There are 186 top six positions in the league. Obviously there are injuries and all kinds of other ‘events’ but at that basic level, only half of the leagues top six players meet your top six player criteria.

An example would be the cup winners. They have exactly 3 forwards who meet your top six points criteria, and only one of them had over 70 points. Looks like they won the cup with a woefully inadequate top six. It might also be interesting to note that after their epic season TBay had a top line that meets the points criteria, but apparently no second line to speak of. Pitts was a little better with 4 top line forwards and no second line players, while poor old Ottawa had a couple of second line players in Duchene and Stone, and nothing else to speak of.

Your points criteria is way off as a form of cut off to what makes a top 6 player both in terms of league-wide scoring, and in specific top teams in the league.

Drop each of those ranges by 10, and get rid of the top vs 2nd line requirements, and you start to represent a more encompassing view of how top six players the league over score, whether they are complementary players on a scoring line with elite players, or are elite players on a second scoring line.

Legit first liners are the elite ones who are consistently putting up 70-80 points. after that there are a bunch of players who sometimes have 1st line caliber numbers other times fall short to have 2nd line numbers. these players usually hover around high 40s, 50s, and 60 point seasons and imo are more 2nd/1st line tweeners than legit first line players.

I think Norris is gonna fall into the 2nd/3rd line caliber.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I am impressed with where Norris is scoring his goals. After Duclair he may have the best release/trigger in the org and hopefully it continues to develop.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Legit 2nd liner offensively speaking is forward ranks 94-186 in points last year.

If you're speaking centers, it's center rank 32-62 in points.

I'll go see what that was.

Forwards it's 37-53 points.

Centers it's 42-66 points.

So 60 points would be high end second line center, likely on a contender.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I am impressed with where Norris is scoring his goals. After Duclair he may have the best release/trigger in the org and hopefully it continues to develop.

Wow, really? Great news, I didn't realize he had a great release.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's easy to forget that Norris had to have reconstructive shoulder surgery last year. Some guys get surgery like that and are never quite right again, while some guys sail right through and pick up where they left off. Thank God Norris is in the latter category...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad