Player Discussion Josh Norris C 6’1”

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Ok I've heard it all now. We don't even know if we want to sign him, and there are good reasons not to. LMAO. Is this Bruce?

Lmao... there are very good reasons not to sign him RIGHT NOW. Hence the word YET, which is the one word you omitted from my quote (Mod).

He is a 19 year old kid with less than 1.5 seasons of college experience who is coming off of major surgery.... college offers way more time to get stronger and rehabilitate and he can always sign midseason, which... btw... happens more than players walking after 4 yrs does. I thought that reasoning would be obvious but I forgot who I was talking to. I have zero concern about his signing and I feel zero rush to get him into pro hockey. He would benefit from another yr of college (Mod).

Last edited by a moderator:

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Lmao... there are very good reasons not to sign him RIGHT NOW. Hence the word YET, which is the one word you omitted from my quote, genius.

He is a 19 year old kid with less than 1.5 seasons of college experience who is coming off of major surgery.... college offers way more time to get stronger and rehabilitate and he can always sign midseason, which... btw... happens more than players walking after 4 yrs does. I thought that reasoning would be obvious but I forgot who I was talking to. I have zero concern about his signing and I feel zero rush to get him into pro hockey. He would benefit from another yr of college... as would you :dunce:
Yes...NCAA for sure offers better medical staff than the NHL and offers more opportunities to improve pro-level skills than say playing 70+ games against men in the AHL, come on are you even trying at this point? They play like 35 games in college. I know he is going to be signed this year, I am just criticizing the continuing ineptitude of this management group and the apologists that surround it and I have seemed to touch a nerve, oops, my apologies.

Reactions: BatherSeason

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yes...NCAA for sure offers better medical staff than the NHL and offers more opportunities to improve pro-level skills than say playing 70+ games against men in the AHL, come on are you even trying at this point? They play like 35 games in college. I know he is going to be signed this year, I am just criticizing the continuing ineptitude of this management group and the apologists that surround it and I have seemed to touch a nerve, oops, my apologies.
There is a time and place to criticize management and moves they make or don’t make. This ain’t one of them. Once Norris was injured, there was no rush to sign since he couldn’t play a game this year like White did when he signed. I don’t see anything inept about this situation? There is nothing to even negotiate with Norris.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Lmao... there are very good reasons not to sign him RIGHT NOW. Hence the word YET, which is the one word you omitted from my quote, genius.

He is a 19 year old kid with less than 1.5 seasons of college experience who is coming off of major surgery.... college offers way more time to get stronger and rehabilitate and he can always sign midseason, which... btw... happens more than players walking after 4 yrs does. I thought that reasoning would be obvious but I forgot who I was talking to. I have zero concern about his signing and I feel zero rush to get him into pro hockey. He would benefit from another yr of college... as would you :dunce:
Then why tell everyone that you will sign him? If college presents the best option for recovery and development and Dorion truly believes this then why doesn't he just say that?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
There is a time and place to criticize management and moves they make or don’t make. This ain’t one of them. Once Norris was injured, there was no rush to sign since he couldn’t play a game this year like White did when he signed. I don’t see anything inept about this situation? There is nothing to even negotiate with Norris.
Nothing to negotiate just another check to sign. Melnyk can't cash too many checks

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I am just criticizing the continuing ineptitude of this management group and the apologists that surround it and I have seemed to touch a nerve, oops, my apologies.

I don’t know. Seems a lot like you lack perspective and get upset when things aren’t done how you want it.

Reactions: JD1

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

NCAA offers better opportunity to gain strength precisely because they play like 35 games, are you even trying? Clearly not, because you keep failing to grasp my very simple points lol.

You know he is going to be signed, so what are you criticizing??? Wheres the ineptitude in this situation? Werent you one of the ones bitching about Daccord too? The only thing to criticize in this context would be that they are signing him to early lmao.

No no no... we're the dillusional ones

Management is a shitshow, the organization is a shit show, literally no one ever praises them and rightfully so... but the need of these two to make up controversy is just mind-numbing. How pessimistic do you have to be to try to make the OTTAWA SENATORS out to be worse than they already are? It's like spending 5 hours arguing that Hitler was an irresponsible pet owner.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
NCAA offers better opportunity to gain strength precisely because they play like 35 games, are you even trying? Clearly not, because you keep failing to grasp my very simple points lol.

You know he is going to be signed, so what are you criticizing??? Wheres the ineptitude in this situation? Werent you one of the ones *****ing about Daccord too? The only thing to criticize in this context would be that they are signing him to early lmao.

No no no... we're the dillusional ones

Management is a ****show, the organization is a **** show, literally no one ever praises them and rightfully so... but the need of these two to make up controversy is just mind-numbing. How pessimistic do you have to be to try to make the OTTAWA SENATORS out to be worse than they already are? It's like spending 5 hours arguing that Hitler was an irresponsible pet owner.

You know what? I just like when people do things in a prompt manner. If you say you're gonna do something, then do it. Don't wait around for 4 months until the school year starts, do your f***ing job and get things done in a timely manner.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I don’t know. Seems a lot like you lack perspective and get upset when things aren’t done how you want it.
I would love for them to prove me wrong. Unfortunately the only perspective we have been afforded as a part of this fanbase is not so rosy.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
You know what? I just like when people do things in a prompt manner. If you say you're gonna do something, then do it. Don't wait around for 4 months until the school year starts, do your ****ing job and get things done in a timely manner.
It makes no difference if the Sens or Norris waited four months to sign, though.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I guess I should say it makes no difference whether he's signed today or July 1, I'm not sure how it works for rookie signing bonuses (whether he would get one on July 1)

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I guess I should say it makes no difference whether he's signed today or July 1, I'm not sure how it works for rookie signing bonuses (whether he would get one on July 1)

It's about 75,000$ per month of difference. That's a lot of incentive.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
It's about 75,000$ per month of difference. That's a lot of incentive.
what do you mean by that? You would get the full salary in 19/20 whether you sign today or in August. The only difference is bonus timing, but like I said I don't know about that.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
what do you mean by that? You would get the full salary in 19/20 whether you sign today or in August. The only difference is bonus timing, but like I said I don't know about that.
IIRC you start earning as soon as the contract is signed. They get paid 12 months through the year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Who or what determines what a timely or prompt manner is? They will get their money eventually. We have absolutely no idea what is going on behind the scenes & what both sides really want from this & whether his injury has something to do with any delay, if there even is a delay. There are family concerns, educational concerns, business concerns & the rest of it, including whether he would be fine with spending a good portion of next season in the AHL, if he doesn't make the team in training camp, which is also possible.

It will happen when it happens & I have no concern whether the longer it takes may mean he wont sign here. My guess is that he will sign here at some point & could be a fixture here for some time once he gets up to speed with the pro game. I think they have a very good player in Josh Norris & look forward to seeing him play in Ott soon.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Who determines what a timely or prompt manner is? We have absolutely no idea what is going on behind the scenes & what both sides really want from this & whether his injury has something to do with any delay, if there even is a delay. There are family concerns, educational concerns, business concerns & the rest of it, including whether he would be fine with spending a good portion of next season in the AHL if he doesn't make the team in training camp, which is also possible.

It will happen when it happens & I have no concern whether the longer it takes may mean he wont sign here. My guess is that he will sign here at some point & could be a fixture here for some time once he gets up to speed with the pro game. I think they have a very good player in Josh Norris & look forward to seeing him play in Ott soon.
I don't know about that. I heard he had a pretty bad injury and Ottawa might not want to sign him :laugh:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
IIRC you start earning as soon as the contract is signed. They get paid 12 months through the year.
you may be correct but I have no idea. Brady Tkachuk signed his deal last year on August 13. You're saying that means he didn't get his full $832,500 base salary then? I don't think that's how it works but I could be wrong. If that were the case, his cap hit would be pro-rated which it wasn't.
Brady Tkachuk - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't know about that. I heard he had a pretty bad injury and Ottawa might not want to sign him :laugh:
Not want to sign him ever or just not this yr? He has had season ending surgery so whatever time it takes to recover will probably determine whether they sign him this yr or let him go back to college for another yr to recover & strengthen whatever was injured. Do we know what his injury is yet?

IMO they will end up doing whatever is best for the player & that may mean delaying his signing for a yr because of the injury but if he has a good summer to completely recover from it than I could see them signing him & letting him develop in Belleville until the time when they call him up. And that could explain the delay in signing him as they are determining what is best for the player at this time given this injury.

This is an interesting article on him but does not specify what his injury is.

Senators To Try To Sign Josh Norris

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No they don't, they get paid pro-rated based on days on the roster over the regular season. He'd get his signing bonus of ~75k immediately, as with every ELC by every player (amount varies).

If the season is 200 days long, he'd earn his 750k over that span.

If he's in the AHL for 50 games and on the NHL roster for 150, he'd earn 25% worth of ~70k, and 75% worth of 750k.

You don't get paid for the playoffs or offseason, outside of performance bonuses you can earn in the playoffs.

Otherwise, everyone who doesn't sign on July 1st would be leaving tons and tons of money on the table

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
No they don't, they get paid pro-rated based on days on the roster over the regular season. He'd get his signing bonus of ~75k immediately, as with every ELC by every player (amount varies).

If the season is 200 days long, he'd earn his 750k over that span.

If he's in the AHL for 50 games and on the NHL roster for 150, he'd earn 25% worth of ~70k, and 75% worth of 750k.

You don't get paid for the playoffs or offseason, outside of performance bonuses you can earn in the playoffs.

Otherwise, everyone who doesn't sign on July 1st would be leaving tons and tons of money on the table
That’s what I thought. Thanks Bondra

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I would love for them to prove me wrong. Unfortunately the only perspective we have been afforded as a part of this fanbase is not so rosy.

Again it comes down to a lack of perspective. A lot of things haven't gone the way you or I want with this franchise over the past few seasons but there's no reason to create a fuss about this topic. The Senators have yet to burnt with the NCAA route, whether it was White, Wolanin, Daccord or even Tkachuk to a degree, the hysteria around prospects not wanting to play for Ottawa and going the FA route is completely unfounded. And even if they did not want to sign in Ottawa there's nothing Ottawa can really do about it at this point.

It's unlikely Norris has set some sort of timeline for the organization to sign him, so criticizing them for not getting a contract done now is pointless. There is no difference in signing him now or sometime before training camp. The most likely scenario, similar to Tkachuk last season is that the player isn't positive he wants to forgo his college career and that's a decision that doesn't need to be made right now or anytime soon. From a fan perspective if this was a player entering his Senior year I would understand some of the desire to get it done but we are talking about a player who a month ago finished his sophomore season, there is no need for urgency, even from fans.

Pick your battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad