Player Discussion Josh Norris C 6’1”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I disagree but there is no need to argue about “more likely” between 3rd and 4th line. I’m sure at some point he plays everywhere but he isn’t first line material. Our Center position could easily be White, Brown, Pageau, Tierny, Norris which doesn’t leave a lot of room for Smith.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Well besides appease you.
Lol, I just asked a question, no need to get all upset about it.

Just seems to be a pattern with this org where they push everything off to the last minute.

Without the lure of burning a year off his ELC, what's the difference of him signing today or in August?

I guess the difference is that Melnyk doesn't have to cut a check until August instead of now, seems to be how this org operates.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
What's the rush?
No rush really, but if you are Josh Norris and see all of the big US College players signing their first pro contracts, you have to start to wonder. Also, if you are an organization wanting some positive PR, signing the supposed "main piece" from a trade for a generational player would help.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
No rush really, but if you are Josh Norris and see all of the big US College players signing their first pro contracts, you have to start to wonder. Also, if you are an organization wanting some positive PR, signing the supposed "main piece" from a trade for a generational player would help.

These are both bad reasons

He would have been signed if he didnt have a serious, season ending injury but with that in mind, college for another year may well be the best place for him. Also, lots of guys return for a 3rd season. Dylan Samberg just announced he would, and hes a top prospect. Ian Mitchell is a top prospect too and he hasnt signed either. Both are probably closer to NHL time than Norris is, too.

We hear this about every college FA and then every time, we sign them. Happened with Wolanin, and White, and Daccord... hell, even Tkachuk lol. He will sign and he'll probably be signed at the right time for the team and for his development.

Reactions: FormentonTheFuture

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
These are both bad reasons

He would have been signed if he didnt have a serious, season ending injury but with that in mind, college for another year may well be the best place for him. Also, lots of guys return for a 3rd season. Dylan Samberg just announced he would, and hes a top prospect. Ian Mitchell is a top prospect too and he hasnt signed either. Both are probably closer to NHL time than Norris is, too.

We hear this about every college FA and then every time, we sign them. Happened with Wolanin, and White, and Daccord... hell, even Tkachuk lol. He will sign and he'll probably be signed at the right time for the team and for his development.
Staying in college may in fact be the absolute best thing for him as a player, but that's not what I am debating here. I am wondering what's going on. How his rehab is going, etc. Max Lajoie may have been best served by playing a full season in the AHL, same with Jaros, and there are a few other examples, but the org needed warm bodies to fill roster spots, so they were rushed.

Anyone know if how Norris is doing with his recovery? Is he skating? Is he expected to be at dev camp?
This is what I am getting at. We know nothing, should we?? Well, that's another debate.

When the Ottawa Senators want to get positive messaging out there, or any messaging out there, they feed it to the fanbase through Garrioch, in the case of Norris, who many believe to be the centerpiece in the Erik Karlsson deal, there has been nothing, crickets. When this org goes silent on something, the news is generally bad, that's all I am getting at.

Laminator

May 25, 2014
Anyone know if how Norris is doing with his recovery? Is he skating? Is he expected to be at dev camp?
One of my friends that works for the Senators organization told me that while the season was going on he was staying with Brady Tkachuk and training hes lower body at the Sensplex in Kanata. However I have no idea what he is doing now.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Staying in college may in fact be the absolute best thing for him as a player, but that's not what I am debating here. I am wondering what's going on. How his rehab is going, etc. Max Lajoie may have been best served by playing a full season in the AHL, same with Jaros, and there are a few other examples, but the org needed warm bodies to fill roster spots, so they were rushed.

This is what I am getting at. We know nothing, should we?? Well, that's another debate.

When the Ottawa Senators want to get positive messaging out there, or any messaging out there, they feed it to the fanbase through Garrioch, in the case of Norris, who many believe to be the centerpiece in the Erik Karlsson deal, there has been nothing, crickets. When this org goes silent on something, the news is generally bad, that's all I am getting at.
This doesn’t make a lot of sense. Not every single thing needs to be said to fans/media. There’s no reason to talk about Josh Norris right now, or anything else, until something happens (a hiring, signing, draft combine, etc). Until Norris signs or goes back to school there’s nothing for them to update

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
This doesn’t make a lot of sense. Not every single thing needs to be said to fans/media. There’s no reason to talk about Josh Norris right now, or anything else, until something happens (a hiring, signing, draft combine, etc). Until Norris signs or goes back to school there’s nothing for them to update
Cmon man, we all know that Dorion and Melnyk LOOOOVE to gloat when something is going their way. If a signing was happening, Garrioch would have at least 2 articles written by now.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Cmon man, we all know that Dorion and Melnyk LOOOOVE to gloat when something is going their way. If a signing was happening, Garrioch would have at least 2 articles written by now.
They mentioned at the end of the season that they will look to sign Norris. Not sure why anything else would need to be said. Maybe just relax a bit lol

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Pherhaps Norris hasn't decided he wants to go pro yet. Without the lure of burning a year off his ELC, what's the difference of him signing today or in August?

Well besides appease you.
Yes it's generally smart to allow NCAA players to head closer and closer to their 4th year.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Yes it's generally smart to allow NCAA players to head closer and closer to their 4th year.
You seem to be implying its not smart...

Was it a bad decision with Wolanin? Daccord? White? All players who we supposedly waited too long to sign. I dont think we've ever had a player who we left in college too long.... ever

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Our actual management group is very small, and we're in the process of searching for both a coach and a POHO. There is your answer about why signing Josh Norris might not happen right away. Obviously, just speculation on my part....

I have no worries about this guy signing. The one good thing about being a tire fire, is that the amount of opportunity makes it appealing to younger players trying to get NHL minutes through their ELC, get the NHL pension, get their big 2nd/3rd contracts, etc. Not only that, this guy and Brady Tkachuk are besties. You never want to let your bestie down.

This is a different situation than a typical College drafted player. Because Norris was drafted in the first round, we'll get a mid 2nd rounder as compensation if he does not sign. While Norris is probably worth more than that right now, it gives us something to fall back on. (Although, I'd be shocked if he doesn't eventually sign.)

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
You seem to be implying its not smart...

Was it a bad decision with Wolanin? Daccord? White? All players who we supposedly waited too long to sign. I dont think we've ever had a player who we left in college too long.... ever
I was being sarcastic. And it does happen. Once it becomes clear that an NCAA player is going to be an NHL player, I would prefer signing them ASAP instead of sitting around with their thumb up their ass. But by all means, we should give Pierre Dorion the benefit of the doubt. He has shown great ability in being able to get contracts done.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I was being sarcastic. And it does happen. Once it becomes clear that an NCAA player is going to be an NHL player, I would prefer signing them ASAP instead of sitting around with their thumb up their ass. But by all means, we should give Pierre Dorion the benefit of the doubt. He has shown great ability in being able to get contracts done.

It happens, but it hasnt happened with us despite the constant fretting

Also, yeah, no... you dont just sign an NCAA player once its clear he is gonna be an NHLer. The NCAA is a very good development league, and it is especially well suited to a guy who just suffered a major injury... we dont even know if we want to sign him yet and there are good reasons not to.

Dorion has signed every prospect, if you think the experience with Stone and Duchene is at all similar to what the Josh Norris signing process will be........ well, thats your opinion. But ya, on Josh Norris, we 100% should give the benefit of the doubt lmao.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
It happens, but it hasnt happened with us despite the constant fretting

Also, yeah, no... you dont just sign an NCAA player once its clear he is gonna be an NHLer. The NCAA is a very good development league, and it is especially well suited to a guy who just suffered a major injury... we dont even know if we want to sign him yet and there are good reasons not to.

Dorion has signed every prospect, if you think the experience with Stone and Duchene is at all similar to what the Josh Norris signing process will be........ well, thats your opinion. But ya, on Josh Norris, we 100% should give the benefit of the doubt lmao.
Ok I've heard it all now. We don't even know if we want to sign him, and there are good reasons not to. LMAO. Is this Bruce?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

This is exactly what I meant, you have worded it much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad