Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Def Leopard redefined Rock N Roll with a one armed drummer - Norris has a chance to do the same for the NHL:
IMG_4255.jpeg

Reactions: Silencio

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

That's 3 on the same shoulder ... not sure of the specifics. I remember Simmer being concerned about the extension saying the shoulder was a risk.

It'll be interesting to see what is said coming out of this in the summer. I'll be waiting to see if we start hearing the same things we did about Klefbom post surgery. Seems like it quickly shifted into quality of life outside of hockey and Doctors weren't sure about it holding up in the NHL, and the writing was on the wall at that point.

Reactions: Larionov

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Surprised they expect him back to start the year but I suppose there’s no added benefit to waiting longer.

I think at this point the team has to move him to wing permanently and figure out a stop gap at C for the 3rd line if they’d rather Greig develops on the wing.

Reactions: Relapsing

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
He was already playing scared, avoiding contact, after two surgeries. How do you think he's going to play after a third?

Hope he makes the right decision and retires. Worst case, he decides to avoid all contact and become a Chris Tierney type player instead.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He was already playing scared, avoiding contact, after two surgeries. How do you think he's going to play after a third?

Hope he makes the right decision and retires. Worst case, he decides to avoid all contact and become a Chris Tierney type player instead.
Doesn't he leave all that money on the table if he voluntarily retires?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Our top 30-40 goal scorer center. Gone.
And our fastest top nine 20 goal scorer gone.
At least we have excuses if we ever need them.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Doesn't he leave all that money on the table if he voluntarily retires?
I was thinking about this as well. My memory told me that if he retires, he doesn’t receive the money specified in his contract. So, I checked to make sure, and found this. With regards to a summary, you could say this is a bad & unfortunate situation for the team & player.

'If a player retires, they will no longer receive any of the remaining money in their contract. If a player has a contract but no longer wishes to play, the most common result is for them to go on the injured list for the remainder of their contract, which is still paid for by the team. If the same case occurred in this case, the remaining cap hit would be retained."

Last edited:

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Well... I don't think anyone will be surprised if this is it for Norris.

Will be interesting to see how the Sens navigate this through the off-season. Gotta figure it puts a wrench in whatever plans Staios has been coming up with: is he LTIRetired? LTIR with the hope of coming back? How do you deal with that from a cap perspective? Plan for a return and leave us with 8m in cap space to start the season?

Big old question marks.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I was thinking about this as well. My memory told me that if he retires, he doesn’t receive the money specified in his contract. So, I checked to make sure, and found this. With regards to a summary, you could say this is a bad & unfortunate situation for the team & player.

'If a player retires, they will no longer receive any of the remaining money in their contract. If a player has a contract but no longer wishes to play, the most common result is for them to go on the injured list for the remainder of their contract, which is still paid for by the team. If the same case occurred in this case, the remaining cap hit would be retained."

Guys under contract don't retire, they LTIRetire.
Ya, I guess I was thinking in the context that he's medically cleared, but based on the scenario discussed, that would be unlikely to be the case. Nor does it seem to matter with how some of these teams handle it, seems like it'd be up to Josh and he can step away and collect.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Norris might as well retire. 3 surgeries on the same shoulder in 3 years is crazy. It will only get worse with age.

If he is on LTIR into next season thats nearly $8M more in cap space to play with.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

Yeah I saw that too. Played timid. Not going to the dirty areas and trying too much to anticipate contact. No one-timers either.

He was playing scared for sure and I'm afraid this means LTIR for the foreseeable future.

Only silver lining is Pinto looks fantastic as a top 6 C.

Reactions: K1900L and DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ya, I guess I was thinking in the context that he's medically cleared, but based on the scenario discussed, that would be unlikely to be the case. Nor does it seem to matter with how some of these teams handle it, seems like it'd be up to Josh and he can step away and collect.
Medically cleared is a bit of a nebulous concept imo; he can be medically cleared, with the understanding that he's at a high risk to re-injure the shoulder and have it impact his quality of life in a significant way going forward, for example. If he isn't comfortable with the elevated level of risk associated with playing, is he really cleared? From an insurance perspective, it gets muddier, but for the league to let him remain on LTIR, I can't see them challenging it

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Medically cleared is a bit of a nebulous concept imo; he can be medically cleared, with the understanding that he's at a high risk to re-injure the shoulder and have it impact his quality of life in a significant way going forward, for example. If he isn't comfortable with the elevated level of risk associated with playing, is he really cleared? From an insurance perspective, it gets muddier, but for the league to let him remain on LTIR, I can't see them challenging it
Ya I think you're right. It's a detail that doesn't really apply to these scenarios where quality of life is potentially a question mark.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Guy needs to sit down with his family and the sens brass. Should come to the realization it is not safe for him to play professional hockey for medical reasons. His contract is guaranteed and the sens can start looking at other options. It’s the best situation for everyone involved

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Norris might as well retire. 3 surgeries on the same shoulder in 3 years is crazy. It will only get worse with age.

If he is on LTIR into next season thats nearly $8M more in cap space to play with.
How much cap space the Senators will have will depend on how close they are to the cap ceiling on the opening day of the regular season.

So for example, if the Senators have $ 1.95 m of projected cap space on the last day of preseason and they place Norris on LTIR, they will get $6 m (7.95 - 1.95 = 6) of additional temporary cap space to work with. It's temporary if the player recovers from his injury during the regular season, is able to play again and thus the LTIR amount for that player is removed from the LTIR pool. When a player comes off LTIR, the team’s annual cap hit for that day must be under the Cap

Also, while on LTIR, Cap Space is no longer accrued.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Guy needs to sit down with his family and the sens brass. Should come to the realization it is not safe for him to play professional hockey for medical reasons. His contract is guaranteed and the sens can start looking at other options. It’s the best situation for everyone involved
Assuming you are neither his doctor nor Josh Norris, I’m not sure where the assumption that “it’s the best situation for everyone involved” comes from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad