Player Discussion Josh Manson

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Theodore - Vatanen isn't good enough defensively. Theodore - Manson is better it also has more size to it.

I don't agree. Vatanen is solid defensively. Manson is better, but I don't think Vatanen makes that pairing all of a sudden bad defensively. It also makes the top 4 way better because Fowler-Manson was our best pair when paired together this year.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don't agree. Vatanen is solid defensively. Manson is better, but I don't think Vatanen makes that pairing all of a sudden bad defensively. It also makes the top 4 way better because Fowler-Manson was our best pair when paired together this year.

The only thing I worry about is their handling forwards in the corners and in front of the net. Vatanen is feisty as hell but is tiny and Theodore is soft as butter. He makes Fowler look like Chris Pronger in comparison.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
The only thing I worry about is their handling forwards in the corners and in front of the net. Vatanen is feisty as hell but is tiny and Theodore is soft as butter. He makes Fowler look like Chris Pronger in comparison.

that's fair, but that pair is already a trainwreck in their own end. I love Josh, but he makes many boneheaded decisions.

IMO, it's time to take Theodore out of the lineup. He's a liability defensively, and he's not doing anything offensively. I sound like a broken record, but I really want Stoner in. Fowler-Manson; Lindholm-Montour; Stoner-Vatanen is the absolute best D we can roll IMO, and we probably won't see it. It pains me to say it, but I'd give Bieksa a shot over Theodore. And I ****ing hate Bieksa.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
that's fair, but that pair is already a trainwreck in their own end. I love Josh, but he makes many boneheaded decisions.

IMO, it's time to take Theodore out of the lineup. He's a liability defensively, and he's not doing anything offensively. I sound like a broken record, but I really want Stoner in. Fowler-Manson; Lindholm-Montour; Stoner-Vatanen is the absolute best D we can roll IMO, and we probably won't see it. It pains me to say it, but I'd give Bieksa a shot over Theodore. And I ****ing hate Bieksa.

Is Stoner healthy?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
There's healthy enough to play, and there's fit enough to play. I'm guessing that they question his endurance after a 4 month layoff where he couldn't work out?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
There's healthy enough to play, and there's fit enough to play. I'm guessing that they question his endurance after a 4 month layoff where he couldn't work out?

I'd put money down on Stoner not playing for the remainder of the season. Which sucks because he would be very helpful.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Wasn't also like 6 games we wanted Stoner to play to make him eligible to be exposed, since we do need to expose at least one D?

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
I'd give him something similar to Despres.

I think Despres had higher upside but hadn't shown much, while Manson has shown more but his ceiling isn't that much higher.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The contract just signed by Dumoulin (4.1M x 6) might be a good comparable. He's likewise a limited offense, minute muncher type.

I think Manson is a decent amount better than Dumoulin although thhe latter did just basically lead a cup winning blueline in icetime.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think Manson is a decent amount better than Dumoulin although thhe latter did just basically lead a cup winning blueline in icetime.

I prefer Manson as well (similar but more physical), but I think they're decent comparables. Dumoulin maybe even has a bit more negotiating leverage due to eating bigger minutes in back to back Cup years.

If we can get Manson locked up for something in that neighborhood I think that would be a solid deal.

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
my wish would be 21m 6y = 3.5 per. But I fear that is just a wish. This plus a similar deal for Monty if he proves to be a what he looks to be.

That'd be another rabbit out of Murray's hat, but he's done it before. Fingers crossed.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

agreed. I think they are pretty comparable after that Playoff run by Dumolin, which no doubt, greatly helped his cause in contract negotiations.

I'll guess his extension will be 6 years, 25 million total. Maybe a bit higher (4.25 aav). Murray is great at RFA deals, but he usually does "solid" at best at signing guys with UFA years

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I know he always gets paired with a quality partner, but Manson is 1+8 this season and is somehow a +12 on this team that has a +0 goal differential. He has his fair share of isolated screwups, but I love this guy. He can sometimes go over the edge and take a bad penalty once in a while, but I love the emotion and hate he plays with.
It's absolute robbery that we are paying this guy 825K this year and it's not even his ELC.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I know he always gets paired with a quality partner, but Manson is 1+8 this season and is somehow a +12 on this team that has a +0 goal differential. He has his fair share of isolated screwups, but I love this guy. He can sometimes go over the edge and take a bad penalty once in a while, but I love the emotion and hate he plays with.
It's absolute robbery that we are paying this guy 825K this year and it's not even his ELC.

I got a Manson jersey his rookie year after the Lucic fight in pre-season, absolutely no regrets on that one.

Reactions: Dmang714

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
the only complaint I have about Josh is he fights scrubs too often. He fought someone the other night (Dorsett I think?) and was shaking his hand in penalty box afterwards. I love his willingness to drop the gloves but Randy needs to tell him to stop fighting scrubs.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Not really. He got what he had earned.

He's a pretty late bloomer.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
He fills so many needs for the Ducks: points from the blueline, hitting ability, reliable defender with solid skating ability & he effectively can act as an enforcer when he's out there 21 minutes a game.

Reactions: Magnus the Duck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad