Josh Leivo's future with the leafs?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He should stay. Let's just hope Lou trade a few of the vets in the summer to make room for him.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
He seems to be very mundane. 3rd line upside?

some marlies made it easier for the leafs to cull the roster ,Zach hyman was another disappointment ,hes almost 25 now ,didn't show much for the marlies ,
as babcock said ,playing for the leafs just got harder ,Mathews .marner ,zaitsev ,maybe Vesey ,only so many spots ,I think the marlies wil not lose as many as u think .
if your not dominant in the AHL playoffs with NHL 4th liners ruling the place ,no place in the NHL once the leafs get good ,
and uncle lou ..........get us a !!$$$% goalie

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Babcock's comments about Leivo suggest to me that Leivo will be given one more summer to show up in the type of physical condition Babcock expects of his players. If this happens then he's part of the team's future plans, if he doesn't he'll be in another organization before the end of the calendar year.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Its make or break time for Leivo. He has waiver elligibility next season I think. He's in the running with Soshnikov, Johnson, Hyman, Brown, Leipsic, etc for the final few roster spots.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Babcock's comments about Leivo suggest to me that Leivo will be given one more summer to show up in the type of physical condition Babcock expects of his players. If this happens then he's part of the team's future plans, if he doesn't he'll be in another organization before the end of the calendar year.

Agreed

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
some marlies made it easier for the leafs to cull the roster ,Zach hyman was another disappointment ,hes almost 25 now ,didn't show much for the marlies ,
as babcock said ,playing for the leafs just got harder ,Mathews .marner ,zaitsev ,maybe Vesey ,only so many spots ,I think the marlies wil not lose as many as u think .
if your not dominant in the AHL playoffs with NHL 4th liners ruling the place ,no place in the NHL once the leafs get good ,

Zach played well in the playoffs. He's not a goal scorer, but it's his board play 200 foot game and hustle that is his calling card.
Atm he is doing these things at a higher level than leivo and imo it's the reason he will make the team before leivo, unless josh has the infamous nhl summer.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
I'd for sure take Leivo over Hyman, 7 days a week as a prospect in my organization.

However, at the current moment, Hyman might be better at the NHL level than Leivo.

That said, who cares how good the Leafs are next year? We need to be developing our prospects to be the best they can be. If that means Leivo spends another year in the AHL while Hyman plays NHL hockey, so be it. If it means he takes Hyman's spot in the NHL, again, so be it.

What I'm saying is Leivo is more important to this organization than a player like Hyman (no offence at all) just based on the fact that we drafted him, and have been developing him for almost 5 years now. What kind of environment do you want to build here?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i dont really care about the ahl, but hyman's current game is a lot better for the nhl than leivo's game

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Trade bait. Other than his shot he provides little else at the nhl level.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'd for sure take Leivo over Hyman, 7 days a week as a prospect in my organization.

However, at the current moment, Hyman might be better at the NHL level than Leivo.

That said, who cares how good the Leafs are next year? We need to be developing our prospects to be the best they can be. If that means Leivo spends another year in the AHL while Hyman plays NHL hockey, so be it. If it means he takes Hyman's spot in the NHL, again, so be it.

What I'm saying is Leivo is more important to this organization than a player like Hyman (no offence at all) just based on the fact that we drafted him, and have been developing him for almost 5 years now. What kind of environment do you want to build here?

I agree. I think if he doesn't have that nl summer there is a good possibility he will pass waivers.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
guys upstairs gotta work some magic...i dont wanna lose a young solid prospect like leivo, i dont even wanna lose a young decent holland...all because of michlaek, laich, lupul, and greening? not worth it

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I personally like Leivo as a player and think he can be an NHL player. He's got size, good hands, and a decent shot. I look at the Leivo and Percy situations as Babcock liking certain kinds of players over others, not so much in terms of skillset but in terms of playing style.

The young players Babcock has most praised this year have been guys like Soshnikov, Hyman, Leipsic, Brown even more than highly skilled guys like Nylander. This tells me how much Babcock value's compete level, grit, and work ethic in his layers.

Leivo and Percy are not untalented. But they are not guys with these specific attributes. Babcock does love his Helms, and Abdelkaders. When you add those intangible attributes to more skilled players you have your Datsyuks and Zetterbergs.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA

Hyman is still 23 for a over a week not close to 25...

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Hyman is still 23 for a over a week not close to 25...

he isn't 18 or 19 which the four highest ranked forward prospects on the leafs are ,,hyman couldn't have made the US roster at the worlds ,at 23 I hope the others are big parts of their countries fabric :yo::yo:

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Josh Leivo deserves a full time job with the Leafs next year.

He was relied upon with the Marlies in the calder cup playoff run and he was pretty noticeable in all of the games.

I would take him over Brown, Hyman, and Leipsic.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

He was relied upon with the Marlies in the calder cup playoff run and he was pretty noticeable in all of the games.

agreed. he scores goals... plays hard along the boards. I even saw him make some pretty sweet passes when he got called up this year.

I always thought that him and Kadri would tear it up.

TheJet11

Nov 8, 2013
We have a number of "bubble" guys that will spend some time in the NHL and the AHL, and we'll likely roll with the hot hand.

Leivo has shown himself to be a guy who elevates his game when the going gets tough. He'll get a look, and when any of Lupul/Michalek/Greening/Laich/Bozak/Holland are moved, I think you'll see a slew of youngsters playing for us down the stretch.

I wouldn't write off Leivo just yet.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

I agree. He played well during his call ups last season as well.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
the nhl now is all about skills and skating, and skating even more than skills...first before anything else u gotta be able to move well to play great defense, and defend ur zone and the neutral zone...leivo is not ahead as an NHL player over guys like hyman, sosh, and even leipsic or even kapanen, because hes not a very good skater

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad