Josh Leivo's future with the leafs?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why are people writing him off? the guy had a great year and there's no reason he shouldn't be given a look. Comparisons to Percy make no sense as Percy never improved and Leivo has.

It's probably mostly because of his lack of NHL time after the deadline mixed with the coaches comments about him. Hard to not see pass those 2 things.

I've been a big Leivo fan since his Sudbury days. To me he's pretty much a NHLer that just needs a long look. I've been wrong before though so perhaps there is something there that the Leafs just don't think he's capable of.

I'd like to see him back but I would not be surprised if he was traded this summer in some sort of package.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
Once Greening, Lupul and Michalek are gone I can see Leivo easily having a spot until a better player over takes him.

Cheap and free are great assets to have when building a team.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Assuming that he's not traded, Leivo strikes me as a guy who has full control over where he plays this year. He's got the skill and build to beat out any of our other young wingers for spots next year, and has a technical restriction (waiver eligibility) that could make him stick, with Marner being the only other who shares that type of "artificial" advantage when it comes to making the team.

That being said, he has to come into camp much more explosive than he has in the past, probably play the game like Hyman did last year.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
These older prospects need to be given a good run with decent linemates in pre season. Make decision on them after some regular season games. (Management was wise to get looks at them last year as call ups) Problem is, we have Nylander, Marner, Matthews (still can't believe it) for sure, then he has to fight for two or three spots with Brown, Hyman, Soshnikov, Leipsic. So ya, numbers. He might find himself in a 5-1 trade like McKegg did later in the year.

no problem with that. i was a leivo fan, but he seems unable to put it into a higher gear, or consistently compete.

in order, i'd rather have soshnikov, brown, hymen and leipsic on the ice than leivo at this point. he's maxed out.

i'd even give tima a chance over him at this point although timashov may start in the ahl.

also, leivo did do ok in his stint up, but i don't think babs really liked him.

i hope we offer camenasari and toninato at least a shot with the marlies next year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seems like he can and will be a decent scorer but might be squeezed out as he ages out and is kind of a previous regime kind of prospect with many similar players at the wing position.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Assuming that he's not traded, Leivo strikes me as a guy who has full control over where he plays this year. He's got the skill and build to beat out any of our other young wingers for spots next year, and has a technical restriction (waiver eligibility) that could make him stick, with Marner being the only other who shares that type of "artificial" advantage when it comes to making the team.

That being said, he has to come into camp much more explosive than he has in the past, probably play the game like Hyman did last year.

i think percy is in the same situation, although i'd still percy a much longer look than leivo.

leivo was a later draft pick and i was hoping he'd be a diamond in the rough like pre injury frattin or brown, but at least we have brown.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
i think percy is in the same situation, although i'd still percy a much longer look than leivo.

leivo was a later draft pick and i was hoping he'd be a diamond in the rough like pre injury frattin or brown, but at least we have brown.

Yeah I was talking more in the context of forwards.

With Percy, he doesn't really have the same opportunity as Leivo. Rielly, Gardiner, Hunwick, Marincin, Corrado & Carrick have all outplayed him, and are waiver eligible. The Leafs would probably like to add a defenecman this offseason, and when you factor in Scott Harrington, who's also waiver eligible, Percy doesn't really have much to stand on when it comes to getting a spot.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think with Percy, Leafs already have enough of his type or style Dmen. Where as Leafs doesn't really have a lot of wingers with size and can score like Leivo. That's the edge Leivo has at this point.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
It's probably mostly because of his lack of NHL time after the deadline mixed with the coaches comments about him. Hard to not see pass those 2 things.

I've been a big Leivo fan since his Sudbury days. To me he's pretty much a NHLer that just needs a long look. I've been wrong before though so perhaps there is something there that the Leafs just don't think he's capable of.

I'd like to see him back but I would not be surprised if he was traded this summer in some sort of package.

i'd say it's lack of improvement and consistency although to be fair, he hasn't had a lot of nhl time. nylander took the ahl by storm to prove he didn't belong there, but leivo could not or didn't think of it.

he's still slow by nhl standards imo and doesn't show compete on every shift. even fast but sometimes lazy jvr tried hard, as well as kadri, soshnikov, brown, etc.

Mad Brills*

This screams traded in a package this summer, or in september for a 3rd.

StingRay5

Sep 26, 2014
Pickering
Leivo had a great year and really upped his work ethic. He will come in this fall in the best shape ever. The past is the past. Steve Spott hated Leivo and the two were like oil and vinegar. Josh as a strong shot at making the team on the 3rd line.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Every time i have seen Lievo play i have been left impressed but i get the feeling that management might not have him in our future plans. Hes got decent size and speed with a good shot. Not 100% sure but i believe hes not waiver exempt next year, with that said who sees leivo with us long-term, top 9 or bottom 6 ect...?

he better pick it up .the marlie vets suck so far ,kapanen has looked better than most ,hyman has disappointed me so far ,hes not 19 ,,,Mathews and marner IMO look to be the top prospects ,kapanen ,nylander still floats at times ,
thing about marner and Mathews ,their feet and brain our always moving.

leivo might be in tough to beat out marner ,kapanen and nylander hyman and soshi ,not to mention ,andreas Johnson and whoever else these guys come up with
best thing for leivo to do is fil the net ,get 10 shots a nite
make a statement .IMO a lot of marlies havnt stepped up ,Mathews and marner ,and zaitsev have .....3 new guys right there
:yo::yo:

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
leivo might be gone, he has to make team, and we gotta get rid of some of lupul, michalek, laich and greening to make it happen...cus brown hyman sosh marner are all ahead of leivo...there actually arent many spots left

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
what hullsy u've been disappointed by hyman so far? how does that even happen...then u've never watched him play

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Any chance he could be a Mark Stone type winger we're potentially letting walk for very little?

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
I think with Percy, Leafs already have enough of his type or style Dmen. Where as Leafs doesn't really have a lot of wingers with size and can score like Leivo. That's the edge Leivo has at this point.

I think that this draft they look for a winger with size with one of our early picks after Matthews.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
We have enough smaller wingers. I think it would be foolish to give up a big body like Leivo without giving him a good look with the Leafs.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
This screams traded in a package this summer, or in september for a 3rd.

connor brown and kapanen have pretty much been the only marlies to ramp up their play in playoffs
nylander is showing the tighter checking is hindring him ,I'm actually disappointed in hyman .lepesic and shoshi.
no one is a lock ,if there is a time to show u belong in the NHL bring it to the ricoh this week boys.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Any chance he could be a Mark Stone type winger we're potentially letting walk for very little?

No real evidence they are letting him walk yet. He has shown he has NHL hands and will be going into camp with his eyes on an NHL job. Shosh and Hyman were flavor of the month this March but that doesn't mean squat this fall. I think he well be a Leaf out of camp.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

This is exactly what I came in to post today. IMO he reminds me of a poor man's Mark Stone. Stone is regarded is a very good two way player. Offensively is pretty obvious, but his defence isn't as obvious. He's not fast puck hound type, not a key shot blocker, he's good defensively because of an active stick and high IQ, which allows him to anticipate breakouts/passing plays, and break them up.

Watching Leivo more lately I see similarities to Stone both offensively and defensively. How many times did that line keep Hershey from breaking out of their end last night?

I really hope Leivo takes Babcock's advice this summer, and comes into camp next year in the best shape of his life.

Pretty obvious Leivo has pretty good chemistry with Brown, I could really see them forming a strong 3rd line going forward with Kadri, with Leivo being the triggerman.

If they hit their ceilings (Leivo 20g, Kadri 50+ pts, Brown 50+ pts), we would have a hell of a 3rd line.

Realistically, Leivo still has just a good of chance of becoming Matt Frattin, as he does being a good 3rd liner though.

BEERnSOUP

Feb 2, 2015
As others have said, he's looked good when he's had a chance to play in the NHL, regardless the length. I think the only comparable young guy when it comes to boardwork is Hyman, and while he seems to have a better motor, he doesn't have Leivo's shot.

Regardless of whether or not he factors into management's plans, they absolutely need to start him in the NHL this year. He's shown to be effective in the NHL in limited chances, and even if they don't want to keep him, they should put him in a favourable position on the roster to build up his trade value. Losing him to waivers or getting a paltry trade return isn't acceptable and is just poor asset management. He's shown that he has a strong chance to become a legitimate trade chip if you give him some actual NHL time.

Keep him or trade him. Either way we should do it intelligently.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
well he has to make top 13 or his picked up and no longer part of organization...hes got 12 tough guys to pass

matthews nylander jvr kadri leo bozak is 6...marner brown sosh hyman are prospects easily ahead of him...then theres greening lupul laich and michalek

babs loves skating and hes probably the worse skater of all names mentioned above...i would easily put him on team over guys like greening lupul laich and michalek...they are just old vets taking up space like grabner, pa, boyes, matthias, winnik, and spaling last year...they can give u a year or 2, but their ages dont fit with our core, leivo's actually does

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I would have placed Leivo in the top 3 forwards for the Marlies playoffs, top 4 if we factor in Nylanders late resurgence. He was also one of the more physical & gritty forwards out there.

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
Leivo deserves a spot. He plays great when he's up with the Leafs and is a proven scorer at every level (including NHL). He plays a good cycle game and goes hard to the net, he's the type of guy who can put up points on any line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad