Josh Leivo's future with the leafs?

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
he's the kind of prospect that under previous management would have been regarded as one of our top prospects. only to fail later - ala frattin colborne.
amazing how far we've come

Joe Colborne had a very decent year.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
These older prospects need to be given a good run with decent linemates in pre season. Make decision on them after some regular season games. (Management was wise to get looks at them last year as call ups) Problem is, we have Nylander, Marner, Matthews (still can't believe it) for sure, then he has to fight for two or three spots with Brown, Hyman, Soshnikov, Leipsic. So ya, numbers. He might find himself in a 5-1 trade like McKegg did later in the year.

McKegg wasn't in the 5 for 1 trade. He was traded straight up for Hyman's rights.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
he needs to play more like leo and hyman, working hard, playing physical, crashing the boards, and forechecking...but his lack of speed and skating doesnt allow him to play this way imo...he has a good shot and his skills are okay, but u gotta move in the nhl and move well

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't really care about him anymore, to be honest. We have much better prospects than him now. The dark days of guys like Leivo being one of our top prospects are gone.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Skating is his issue....so hard to fix bad feet.

He will get a chance with someone, but I think he is move this off season, if not he has to have a hell of a camp to stick with the Leafs out of camp.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Leivo has excelled whenever he has been called up. He can develop into a prototypical 3rd liner with offensive upside if given the chance. I would hate to see the organization give up on him without giving him a legitimate shot to stick with the big club.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Josh Leivo is not a great or even a good goal scorer. I don't know where this myth started. 17 in 51 this year and 11 in 51 last year in the AHL.

He scored some nice goals for the leafs no doubt but that sample size is small.

I've always thought he could maybe be a 20 goal scorer at the nhl level. Nothing amazing but could maybe give you some depth on the 3rd line. Given our depth on the wings, he's not going to have an easy time making the Leafs. I'd move him this summer.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Skating is his issue....so hard to fix bad feet.

He will get a chance with someone, but I think he is move this off season, if not he has to have a hell of a camp to stick with the Leafs out of camp.

You and your bad feet fetish lol.

Leivo is still developing his skating and it has improved. He is a strong man and pretty fast when he gets going. Its a quickness issue that holds him back. He willbe a Marlie next year again unless he comes in quicker.

He might have the heaviest shot of all the forward prospects. Cycle game is good to excellent and he is a defensive minded forward.

If the leafs decide to move him he will get a solid ahl prospect in return. I have a suspicion he is ready to catch on very shortly.

I really like his game. Keep him on the Marlies is a proper decision. We will see.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He is a keeper for now. He seems like those good bottom six winger that can score if he has a chance. Good depth forward with good size.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He is a keeper for now. He seems like those good bottom six winger that can score if he has a chance. Good depth forward with good size.

Yeah, thats basically how i see it. I'm not sure why he is coming into question really. If i was viewing future prospects as possibly better, i would prefer trading him as a Nhl'er even if a 4th liner.

He could play 4th line now. I don't get the concern here???

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
well he has to crack the top 13 next year...matthews, jvr, kadri, nylander, leo, and bozak, only make 7 spots open

hyman, brown, sosh, marner, greening, laich, michalek, lupul, holland, can all be on team...then theres stamkos and vesey, and other FAs

hes in a tough situation for sure

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Josh Leivo is not a great or even a good goal scorer. I don't know where this myth started. 17 in 51 this year and 11 in 51 last year in the AHL.

He scored some nice goals for the leafs no doubt but that sample size is small.

He had 23 in his rookie AHL campaign, but ran into injury issues that led to only getting 11 last year .. Has bounced back well this year overall.

Certainly showed some promise in his NHL stint . He can score, play the boards, cycle, and get the puck .. A good complimentary winger that probably best slots in a 3rd line role at best in the future if he can improve on the kinks his in game .. Babs did say he needs to work on his conditioning though, and his skating is still a work in progress. At this point he needs to have a big off-season to make the leap into the NHL otherwise the Leafs should just move him. He'll be surpassed by other prospects if he doesn't improve.

He'll have his work cut out next fall to win and keep a spot ... Or the Leafs will use him as a chip in a trade for something else over the summer.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
well he has to crack the top 13 next year...matthews, jvr, kadri, nylander, leo, and bozak, only make 7 spots open

hyman, brown, sosh, marner, greening, laich, michalek, lupul, holland, can all be on team...then theres stamkos and vesey, and other FAs

hes in a tough situation for sure

True, but Vesey probably won't be coming. And Greening, Michalek and Laich are all UFA after next season. Then there is Lupul.
Point I am trying to make is, there might be a logjam this coming season, but there will be a few spots open beyond 2016-17, and guys like Holland and Leivo should be kept due to their size and how well they fit into the bottom 6.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I think like Percy, hes not as shiny any more. Need to see what they look like at camp and go from there. Both are 22.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I really think Leivo has an NHL future, probably as a bottom sixer.

Whether that's in Toronto or elsewhere, I'm not sure. Babs wasn't exactly singing his praises, but I thought he looked solid in his NHL this year.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If we could end up with a player like Leivo on our 4th line long term, I think we're in really good shape. He might even be a good enough 3rd liner long term.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
He is 22 so there is time but everyone develops and gets their chance at different times. That being said, I do believe he has legitimate chance at being an NHL regular. If he and Percy can't crack the roster out of camp or by the Christmas break, it's fair to say that there are at least a handful of guys waiting to chomp at the bit.

I wish him all the best cause I am a fan of his and want to see him don the blue and white maple leaf for a long time and be successful.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I think like Percy, hes not as shiny any more. Need to see what they look like at camp and go from there. Both are 22.

Pretty much. Just one of those guys who appeared to have good upside but couldn't develop enough to reach it. A harsh reminder of just how hard it is to make the NHL. It's not enough to be one of the most skilled in your draft year, you also have to be one of the most improved players each year *after* you're drafted.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Josh is still my favourite prospect and I hope he has the summer Babcock asked for.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Pretty much. Just one of those guys who appeared to have good upside but couldn't develop enough to reach it. A harsh reminder of just how hard it is to make the NHL. It's not enough to be one of the most skilled in your draft year, you also have to be one of the most improved players each year *after* you're drafted.

Like being PPG in the AHL and a very good stint in the NHL when called up?

This isn't Percy, or Matt Finn, or Tyler Biggs. He's improved every year, was a PPG all star in the AHL this year and stepped into the NHL and did very well.

All those things you talked about at the end of your post, yeah he's done those. He just hasn't been given a full time shot yet and if we move on before we give him one after he's proven to deserve one, we're going to regret it.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Why are people writing him off? the guy had a great year and there's no reason he shouldn't be given a look. Comparisons to Percy make no sense as Percy never improved and Leivo has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad