Josh Leivo

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
the insider on the panthers board (if I remember correctly this guy called the entire bolland trade before it was announced and 1 or 2 more) says the panthers are up to something, i was thinking they need scoring maybe could be for Leivo with a similar D coming back maybe

Petrovic? We would have to add.
Pysyk? Sounds more realistic than Petrovic in a one-for-one situation.

Can't really see anyone on the Thunderbirds we'd be interest in...?

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I think he's not a Rielly fan. Kept him off 1st power play line.

I was wondering about how they could possibly do that. Maybe they were planning on increasing Rielly's ice time so much 5v5 they were using PP as a rest period for him. Seems incredible given his playmaking abilities.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I was wondering about how they could possibly do that. Maybe they were planning on increasing Rielly's ice time so much 5v5 they were using PP as a rest period for him. Seems incredible given his playmaking abilities.

My opinion is Babcock wants D to play D and he doesn't want them risking their D in order to try and score points. if the player does he reduces their ice time and pp play time. Sort of like slapping the player with a how is that Offense looking now. Let's remember Babcock only played Suban for 1 game in which he played only 11 minutes, the last Olympics. Should show everyone what he thinks of offense minded Dmen.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
well our entire team is based upon skating and speed, we're one of fastest teams in league...and leivo, well hes our worst skating prospect imo

Leivo was one of the best players during the Marlie playoffs last year & played a skilled & gritty game combination that we lack. He's the type of player we could really use on the wing.

I admit that some moves Babcock makes, makes me wonder, but I still think he is one of the best coaches on the planet.
Imo there is a huge teaching factor going on that is forcing some of these decisions he's making. These guys he seems to favor even though we have more talented players in the wings waiting seem to make the 'safe' plays, or at least try to.
Last game Hyman entered the O zone with Matthews trailing him. Hyman ran into the defense and instead of a drop pass to Matthews, which I personally yelled at him through the tv for not doing, at the blueline (high danger zone for a turn over) he dumped it softly into the corner and went and fought for it.
Babcock sees that and says yes! That's the right play there. Not flashy, less chance that we get a scoring opportunity than the drop pass option, but also a lot safe than the drop pass option.
Babcock has said over and over that the team needs to learn how to keep the puck out of our net and plays like that make it hard for us to score but even harder for the other team to score. Also that we need to learn how to score off the cycle and generate offense from defense.
Imo that's why he is sticking to his guns with his line selections.
When Willie and Matthews start to do that, hopefully we see Sosh on their line instead of hyman?

That goes against a possession game though, especially after you have already gained the zone. It has it's place with a lowered skill line or with teams standing you up on the blue line, but made no sense in that situation or with the skill of Matthews & Nylander.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
My opinion is Babcock wants D to play D and he doesn't want them risking their D in order to try and score points. if the player does he reduces their ice time and pp play time. Sort of like slapping the player with a how is that Offense looking now. Let's remember Babcock only played Suban for 1 game in which he played only 11 minutes, the last Olympics. Should show everyone what he thinks of offense minded Dmen.

Well Weber, Doughty, Petrangelo, Keith are all offensive d-men but they are very good in their own zone and read the situations extremely well - I mean we're talking about all-stars here - all of them. Is it possible that Babcock is trying to help Rielly grow as a player rather hating all offensive d-men?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Babcock often talks about players' skating and edgework. This has never been Leivo's strength. Leivo's a sloppy skater who is never becoming a high pressure forechecker. I'm mind reading here but I can't imagine Babcock has any long term plans for Leivo. I believe Leivo is still in the organization due to a belief by management that he has some value as an asset because he does seem like he might score at the NHL level.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
Babcock often talks about players' skating and edgework. This has never been Leivo's strength. Leivo's a sloppy skater who is never becoming a high pressure forechecker. I'm mind reading here but I can't imagine Babcock has any long term plans for Leivo. I believe Leivo is still in the organization due to a belief by management that he has some value as an asset because he does seem like he might score at the NHL level.

We know he can score. Last season he went 5 in 5 ( goals in games )

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I believe this is his reasoning.
Is playing Rielly on the PK over the PP something you knew you'd do when you took over or something that developed over the summer?

Well we're doing that -- all you've got to do is look at the stats and he should be on the power play, but we're trying to get him to learn to play without the puck and focus on that totally. I never knew until I watched him without the puck and then that became an area that I thought if we want him to be the best player he can be we've got to get him without the puck first. The other stuff is natural for him so it's no issue. He didn't play on the power play, we threw him out there last game because we were one short up front and then the next thing you know he has a power play assist. Obviously he's a good player, some people might say it doesn't make any sense but it makes sense to me and that's all that really matters.
Also Mo is starting to get pp time this year. I think Babs uses to pp to help certain players get going ala Komorov.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yea, it would be idiotic to give that away without giving an opportunity & legit look at what you really have.

It is babs as coach though who is Leivo taking a spot from?
Hyman - not a chance
Ben smith - nope
Martin - no and I like what martin brings anyway
Jvr - after a hattrick?
Marner - haha
Komarov - for a couple of games I wish
Brown - he is bringing it lately
Nylander - Probably babs always picks nylander out for the demotion even when many more deserve it.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
It is babs as coach though who is Leivo taking a spot from?
Hyman - not a chance
Ben smith - nope
Martin - no and I like what martin brings anyway
Jvr - after a hattrick?
Marner - haha
Komarov - for a couple of games I wish
Brown - he is bringing it lately
Nylander - Probably babs always picks nylander out for the demotion even when many more deserve it.

It's because Babcock expects more out of his stars. The other guys their job is to kill time when the stars are not on the ice, or to make the stars jobs easier on the ice. They really just need to motor and not be a liability defensively.

His stars he wants them to be the best player on the ice, and when they are not, that doesn't sit well with him.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It's because Babcock expects more out of his stars. The other guys their job is to kill time when the stars are not on the ice, or to make the stars jobs easier on the ice. They really just need to motor and not be a liability defensively.

His stars he wants them to be the best player on the ice, and when they are not, that doesn't sit well with him.

ok but Nylander has played a good part of 2 games on the 4th line how does an elite offensive player get back in his good books by trying to feed ben smith and matt martin. He is back now but it wont be long until he is punished again. Nylander really hasn't done anything wrong either maybe lower intensity he is playmaking just as he always is, meanwhile turnover Hyman get the 2nd or 3rd highest icetime on the team and has 2 g 1 a and his corner work is great but what's the point when he turns it over because he cant make a 3 ft pass?

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
most overated coach in the history on nhl. winning with stacked teams like prime red wings, team canada dont mean jack. just look at how he manages the lines and falls in love with scrubs like hyman and hunwick. he did that in detroit too with cleary but didnt show as much since the whole team was stacked and in thier prime. i really hope he gets fired and they replace him with a younger coach that uses advanced stats for lineups and matchups instead of going by feel.

You are in for a tough run here if you hate Babcock that much. Don't know why you guys care so much about Hyman being on Mathews wing???? Mathews is still getting a ridiculous amount of scoring chances and is on pace for 60pts. So if Mathews was playing with JVR he'd have 25pts by now? Everyone hates Hunwick, but no coach in the league is going with a full Defence core of guys 25 and under, just won't happen. Hunwick is gone at the end of the year, so dry your tears.

Lets fire Babcock because he likes Hyman with Mathews!!! Classic grass in greener mindset here.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You are in for a tough run here if you hate Babcock that much. Don't know why you guys care so much about Hyman being on Mathews wing???? Mathews is still getting a ridiculous amount of scoring chances and is on pace for 60pts. So if Mathews was playing with JVR he'd have 25pts by now? Everyone hates Hunwick, but no coach in the league is going with a full Defence core of guys 25 and under, just won't happen. Hunwick is gone at the end of the year, so dry your tears.

Lets fire Babcock because he likes Hyman with Mathews!!! Classic grass in greener mindset here.

well I guess he is getting those scoring chances in spite Hyman not because of, so if you replace hyman with a better offensive option (almost any palyer on the roster) Matthews scoring chances should increase then his on pace points would too. Hyman Smith Martin would be amongst the best 4th line in the league, and soshnikov is wasted playing there.

As for Humwick I don't have a problem with him hopefully he is gone at the end of the year, not a guarantee could be back on PTO or maybe even signed when we strikeout on all the other ufa d men.

brandonlowi

Sep 20, 2015
ok arrogant POS in terms of playing low/no skill players higher up the line up to show how great he is. All forward lines have been shuffled a little bit minimum, but has never been removed from Matthews side? that is babcock showing "look i am turning this 4th liner into a 1st liner" except in this case the player wont get get 25 points where as cleary has a few 40 point seasons. No surprise if you look at his stats as soon as babs left he went straight to the AHL.

haha wow, what does one even say to this. Fire Babcock now!!!!! Hire this guy!

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
matthews and nylander will be centering our 1st and 2nd lines for the next 10+ years, and anchor a championship like sid and malkin if we ever win it all

now they are just starting their careers, they create a ton of chances but give up a ton of chances too...having the teams hardest working and best defensive forward with them is just smart hockey, u dont want ur kids to keep giving up goals on the other end...only a smart coach does this...not many posters here realize this

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
well I guess he is getting those scoring chances in spite Hyman not because of, so if you replace hyman with a better offensive option (almost any palyer on the roster) Matthews scoring chances should increase then his on pace points would too. Hyman Smith Martin would be amongst the best 4th line in the league, and soshnikov is wasted playing there.

As for Humwick I don't have a problem with him hopefully he is gone at the end of the year, not a guarantee could be back on PTO or maybe even signed when we strikeout on all the other ufa d men.

It's not as easy as just plunking JVR on his wing and he'll automatically be on pace for 80 pts. This isn't a video game.

Maybe Sosh isn't as effective playing his offside. I know it's been noted in several places that he's better creating his own offensive chances, and had a hard time meshing well with skilled players on the Marlies last year (exlpaining his pairing with the Goat)

I think people are getting a little fixated on Hyman, he's obviously not going to be a 30 goal scorer, but his advanced stats are impressive atm, and his effective board play and tenacity on the puck has been helping that line IMO, especially considering Mathews will likely only get better at that as he gains experience. If everything goes as planned, those 2 should be able to very hard on the puck and create a good cycle game, let's not forget that Hyman is a rookie as well.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It's not as easy as just plunking JVR on his wing and he'll automatically be on pace for 80 pts. This isn't a video game.

Maybe Sosh isn't as effective playing his offside. I know it's been noted in several places that he's better creating his own offensive chances, and had a hard time meshing well with skilled players on the Marlies last year (exlpaining his pairing with the Goat)

I think people are getting a little fixated on Hyman, he's obviously not going to be a 30 goal scorer, but his advanced stats are impressive atm, and his effective board play and tenacity on the puck has been helping that line IMO, especially considering Mathews will likely only get better at that as he gains experience. If everything goes as planned, those 2 should be able to very hard on the puck and create a good cycle game, let's not forget that Hyman is a rookie as well.

no of course it isn't that easy, but without trying different things you never know. What if JVR and Matthews compliment each other so perfectly it doesn't make sense not to resign JVR, my point is this is the year to try these things I think fans and media will be expecting a closer to wild card team next year so messing with the lines next year wont be acceptable. same with sosh or anyone, if Hyman is going to continue to score at current pace and his skills don't improve it is not the right option for a permanent winger for the best C this team has had since Sundin.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
haha wow, what does one even say to this. Fire Babcock now!!!!! Hire this guy!

if you read back a little further I said the POS comment was too far, I also said Babcock is the right coach and we have to get used to his arrogance and love affair with low/no skill players. Hyman is a 4th liner playing on what will be our 1st line. But by all means read part of the conversation and get that internet outrage going.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
no of course it isn't that easy, but without trying different things you never know. What if JVR and Matthews compliment each other so perfectly it doesn't make sense not to resign JVR, my point is this is the year to try these things I think fans and media will be expecting a closer to wild card team next year so messing with the lines next year wont be acceptable. same with sosh or anyone, if Hyman is going to continue to score at current pace and his skills don't improve it is not the right option for a permanent winger for the best C this team has had since Sundin.

Throwing our forwards in a blender constantly will do nothing to help them.

In the end I would like a JVR-Mathew-Marner line, but I understand that would pretty well render Bozak useless, so I'm going to remain patient.

Give it some time. It's not like Mathews line isn't producing chances.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Throwing our forwards in a blender constantly will do nothing to help them.

In the end I would like a JVR-Mathew-Marner line, but I understand that would pretty well render Bozak useless, so I'm going to remain patient.

Give it some time. It's not like Mathews line isn't producing chances.

Yup chemistry takes time. Also they are still figuring out the systems so throw that in the mix and you need even more time.
I think someone in leafs management said something avout patience?

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
So maybe we derail the Babcock thread (that's what it seems like) to talk about Leivo.

Can anybody that can actually watch Marlies games comment on how he looks so far. He's played what 3 or 4 games, don't think I have read anything about how he has looked?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm getting the feeling he may be getting the Panik treatment by Babcock i.e. he's fine as a player but for some reason the coach just doesn't like them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad