Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Statement from no-name agent trying to be relevant for player hoping to be relevant...

Coming soon...Said player does not make the NHL team, maybe reports to AHL, 5 games in, agent complains player should be in NHL because he is making less money than other NHL players.

You can't make this stuff up... His agent 'LI's own' was certified by the NHLPA in June.
Patrick Bedell is Ho-Sang's current agent. His agency doesn't represent any athlete in a major league.

Here's the link to his agency.
1VSE Home Page

Did Ho-Sang find this guy at Bogarts?

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Statement from no-name agent trying to be relevant for player hoping to be relevant...

Coming soon...Said player does not make the NHL team, maybe reports to AHL, 5 games in, agent complains player should be in NHL because he is making less money than other NHL players.

You can't make this stuff up... His agent 'LI's own' was certified by the NHLPA in June.
idk. i'm pretty encouraged. he said all the right things, and it would be fantastic if he could turn things around and become a regular.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think the Isles expected him to just find another job in Europe. Lou certainly didn’t expect Ho-Sang to file for arbitration. For whatever reason he didn’t go to the KHL and its back to the Islanders for him.

This is the only case I can think of where a team offered a QO just to get a 7th round pick and instead ended up getting stuck with that player again.
JHS probably hoped to be invited to another organization's training camp,as a ufa.

I would guess he was as shocked as many nyi fans,that he didn't become a ufa.
I don't blame JHS for not giving up on his nhl dream,not signing in Europe.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

So JHS should apologize because the Great Lou gave him a qualifying offering?

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The whole JHS thing this time around - qualifying him in the first place and then the two way contract with a bump - is Lou basically admitting that forward help isn't coming via UFA and probably not by trade either. He's got no choice but to give our forward prospects who have demonstrated offensive potential a shot. Even JHS.

Reactions: Quickdraw2828

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
JHS probably hoped to be invited to another organization's training camp,as a ufa.

I would guess he was as shocked as many nyi fans,that he didn't become a ufa.
I don't blame JHS for not giving up on his nhl dream,not signing in Europe.
For Ho-Sang to get an invitation to another NHL team’s camp it likely would have been without a contract on a PTO this December. Once the Isles QO’d him that took that option off Ho-Sang’s table.

I also thought we should not have qualified Ho-Sang and just let him go on with his life.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think it was the other way around. The team QO'd him to prevent another team from taking a shot. He's still an asset.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I think you added an 'et' there on your keyboard in a mistype.

He could be, sure....but speaking from experience with such things, I’ve still got doubts.

Call it what you will, but if there was something in his past that placed this chip on his shoulder?

It’s a mean glass onion to peel....social psychology suggests that this was in motion well before getting drafted, and it sucks that it complicates the growth of what could otherwise be a solid player.

Wish it didn’t take up such Islanders bandwidth, but I’m not convinced every blue and orange bridge has been burnt. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
P.S.: I’d be wanting to see what Ho-Sang looked like on a wing with a guy like Pageau regardless of jerseys.

I see a fit there of some small term at least warranting the attempt, given how JGP is a defensively smart center who manages to get into the thick of offense more than a different defensively-gifted center like Cizikas.

A winger like Ho-Sang who can set him up after such a line collectively forces an opponent into distributing their attention?

I can’t be the only dude in here seeing how that could function - especially when the Isles need in-house bodies.

That is the same sort of symbiotic compliment made when assessing how Barzal could break out extra with a winger like Patrik Laine. Not quite the upside, but barring moves, Ho-Sang’s “show me or shove off” tour should start with immediately flanking JGP. Too logical.

Last edited:
Reactions: CupHolders

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Patrick Bedell is Ho-Sang's current agent. His agency doesn't represent any athlete in a major league.

Here's the link to his agency.
1VSE Home Page

Did Ho-Sang find this guy at Bogarts?
And that website and the bios really give encouragement to people? Yeesh...

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
So JHS should apologize because the Great Lou gave him a qualifying offering?
Sleepy Head may want to act like a professional at all facets of his sport. It looks like he’s so popular that agents are running to represent him that he is repped by a guy with ZERO agent experience, just certified by the NHL in June, and such agent is making claims that Sleepy Head is a ‘new man’ and he had ‘other offers’ ... uh-huh. Let’s see how this plays out, but I’ll ride my dissenting view that it’s more drama and Sleepy Head washes out of the NHL in short order.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
The whole JHS thing this time around - qualifying him in the first place and then the two way contract with a bump - is Lou basically admitting that forward help isn't coming via UFA and probably not by trade either. He's got no choice but to give our forward prospects who have demonstrated offensive potential a shot. Even JHS.
I think you have a point here, even if a lot of people won't like it. No one is coming in (as we already knew) and JHS knew as well. He used his tiny bit of leverage to get himself a fine paycheck in his final year in the organization if he doesn't make the team and got his AAV low enough to be in consideration for first callup for a team where every dolllar counts against the cap.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I think you have a point here, even if a lot of people won't like it. No one is coming in (as we already knew) and JHS knew as well. He used his tiny bit of leverage to get himself a fine paycheck in his final year in the organization if he doesn't make the team and got his AAV low enough to be in consideration for first callup for a team where every dolllar counts against the cap.
he did use what leverage he had, but still the mgmt. allowed it. they must believe in him to a certain extent.

anyway, i don't see why an Isles fan would be rooting against this guy. he's skilled and we need that. his character (in whatever sense) can be changed. even if he hates the Isles, if he can turn into trade bait, all the better for the team.

i'm excited.

show us what you got kid.

Last edited:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
P.S.: I’d be wanting to see what Ho-Sang looked like on a wing with a guy like Pageau regardless of jerseys.

I see a fit there of some small term at least warranting the attempt, given how JGP is a defensively smart center who manages to get into the thick of offense more than a different defensively-gifted center like Cizikas.

A winger like Ho-Sang who can set him up after such a line collectively forces an opponent into distributing their attention?

I can’t be the only dude in here seeing how that could function - especially when the Isles need in-house bodies.

That is the same sort of symbiotic compliment made when assessing how Barzal could break out extra with a winger like Patrik Laine. Not quite the upside, but barring moves, Ho-Sang’s “show me or shove off” tour should start with immediately flanking JGP. Too logical.

IF we do see him up, I am assuming he'll be shooting a lot more and a lot less passing..

Laine-Barzal-Ho-Sang? if they all hit their ceilings..this would be a top 5 line in the league easily

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
For Ho-Sang to get an invitation to another NHL team’s camp it likely would have been without a contract on a PTO this December. Once the Isles QO’d him that took that option off Ho-Sang’s table.

I also thought we should not have qualified Ho-Sang and just let him go on with his life.
Yes. I thought it would by on an invitation, with the other organization take a low risk, no promises chance.

In late February, with the Sound Tigers out of the playoff race, the Isles loaned JHS to San Antonio who were still trying to push for a playoff spot. I thought that was an attempt by the Isles to have JHS get postseason playing time and let another organizations get an extended look at him.

I think just about everyone was surprised Lou qualified JHS.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Sleepy Head may want to act like a professional at all facets of his sport. It looks like he’s so popular that agents are running to represent him that he is repped by a guy with ZERO agent experience, just certified by the NHL in June, and such agent is making claims that Sleepy Head is a ‘new man’ and he had ‘other offers’ ... uh-huh. Let’s see how this plays out, but I’ll ride my dissenting view that it’s more drama and Sleepy Head washes out of the NHL in short order.

According to JHS critics, he was supposed to wash out this offseason...not get a qualifying offer and have to slink off to Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad